The Best Starting 5...

JackyHemmingway

Reaction score
Point Guard: Justin Cobbs - Although only a freshmen, Cobbs gives the Gophers the best opportunity to control the offensive flow. Devoe Josephs is a offensive-minded point guard who is looking to score first, therefore I don’t believe he is the best option to start at the point guard position.

Shooting Guard: Blake Hoffbarber - The best shooter on the team, simply put! Lawrence Westbrooks has the ability to score at will. I believe "West" would be a great 6th man. He could keep the offense rolling with the second unit.

Small Forward: Paul Carter - Probably the most versatile defensive and offensive player on the team. With the ability to defend the point guard to the center, Carter gives the Gophers the best chance defensively to boost there struggling perimeter defense. Also Rodney Williams would be a solid option as well but lacks the size to compete with the stronger bodies of the BIG TEN on the defensive end.

Power Forward: Damian Johnson - A defensive monster averaging 2.2 Steals and 2.1 Blocks a game, Johnson's length has been proven to be a problem for almost any opponent. He could also prove to be a matchup problem on the offensive end due to his quick feet and soft touch.

Center: Ralph Sampson III: Ralphs blocking ability as well as his ability to knockdown the occasional 15 footer gives the Gophers the versatility to match up with any team in the country, let alone the Big Ten.

Point Guard: Justin Cobbs - Although only a freshmen, Cobbs gives the Gophers the best opportunity to control the offensive flow. Devoe Josephs is a offensive-minded point guard who is looking to score first, therefore I don’t believe he is the best option to start at the point guard position.

Shooting Guard: Blake Hoffbarber - The best shooter on the team, simply put! Lawrence Westbrooks has the ability to score at will. I believe "West" would be a great 6th man. He could keep the offense rolling with the second unit.

Small Forward: Paul Carter - Probably the most versatile defensive and offensive player on the team. With the ability to defend the point guard to the center, Carter gives the Gophers the best chance defensively to boost there struggling perimeter defense. Also Rodney Williams would be a solid option as well but lacks the size to compete with the stronger bodies of the BIG TEN on the defensive end.

Power Forward: Damian Johnson - A defensive monster averaging 2.2 Steals and 2.1 Blocks a game, Johnson's length has been proven to be a problem for almost any opponent. He could also prove to be a matchup problem on the offensive end due to his quick feet and soft touch.

Center: Ralph Sampson III: Ralphs blocking ability as well as his ability to knockdown the occasional 15 footer gives the Gophers the versatility to match up with any team in the country, let alone the Big Ten.

Cobbs is NOT starter worthy, and I don't like the idea of Carter starting either. How do you not have Devoe in your starting lineup? Devoe is our best all around shooter and scorer in my opinion.

Devoe is our best all around shooter in my opinion.
Um, what?

Hoffarber is shooting 53% from the floor, Joseph is 40% (almost identical number of shots).

Hoffarber is shooting 50% from 3, Joseph is 34% (and Hoff has shot over 40 more 3's than Devoe).

Hoffarber is shooting 79% from the FT line, Joseph is 65%.

Hoffarber is statistically the best shooter in the Big 10, and one of the top couple in the country, yet he's not even the best shooter on his own team? :eek:

We are a team struggling on offense, so lets bench our two best offensive players.. Are you crazy?

I like Hoffarber, but he doesn't move without the ball. Stands 2 feet off the line and catches and shoots. Granted, he's not a great shooter coming off screens, because he rarely squares up before his quick release, but this is something he can work on. Watch some film on Ray Allen.

Instead of benching Westbrook and Joseph, we should have Paul backing up Ralph. Colton is really struggling. A smaller lineup could benefit our tempo, as we could bring Rodney in for Damian when Paul is on the floor. A Cobbs, Westbrook, Hoff, Williams, and PC lineup could really get up the court and stretch the D. Only question with this lineup is rebounds and interior defense..

We need to work inside-out on offense. Get Ralph some shots early, its obvious he flourishes when confident. Will also open up shooters, especially the ones who sit on the three point line waiting for passes....24

Cobbs is NOT starter worthy, and I don't like the idea of Carter starting either. How do you not have Devoe in your starting lineup? Devoe is our best all around shooter and scorer in my opinion.

Tubbyapolis- The reality is that a lineup without Cobbs is going to have one or more people playing out of position. Cobbs is our only true point. Joseph and Westy are 2's. If we want to see a team that learns to play as a unit on offense we need to start breaking in Cobbs wiht a lot bigger minutes. In the Penn State game - who's going to guard Battle? I think I would challenge Cobbs to do it. Joseph can't stay with him.

Face it- if we don't beat Penn State - an it's 50/50 in my book we might as well start working on having a team ready for the BTT and for next year because we will not be going to the NCAAs based on our regular season record.

Top Bottom