Looking Forward

beowulftom

Reaction score
With Nolen out for the season, and Mbakwe and White presumably unavailable this year(that's all I'm willing to predict) , I'm curious about people's thoughts about how to navigate the rest of the year.

I say concentrate on getting experience for the younger players and improving flow in the offense. Still trying to win, especially at home, but I believe Williams and Cobb will be integral to the team's success in the coming years and should see the court more.

New thoughts on the starting five
Cobb
Joseph or Hoffarber
Williams
DJ
Sampson

I know Iverson has looked awful recently but way back in those brief moments of optimism after the Butler game, I dimly remember being impressed with his running of the pick and roll. It doesn't need to be him, but really taking the time to get the offense flowing, specifically including our bigs, will pay off next year.

If you want to talk about the injustices being done to players who aren't going to play or attack the character of our coach, choose another thread. Let's keep this one about basketball.

I don't want to start a youth movement unless it's virtually impossible to reach the NCAA tournament, which at this point it still is a possibility despite what some people might say. I would like to see Rodney and Cobbs get a little more playing time, but I'm not ready to significantly reduce Damian's playing time or Westbrook's (not saying that you said we should) as long as he's playing well.

I would like to see Carter get major minutes ... I know he can look awful at times, but he also brings energy to the game and I believe he has earned the chance for a full look. To accomodate him in the lineup, I would drop either Hoffarber or Westbrook as a starter (no more 3-guard lineups). Either one could provide some offensive spark off the bench in the right situations.

Hoffarber is a 10 minute or a 30 minute guy depending on the matchup. You can usually tell early in the game if he is going to get his shots off. Start him and adjust accordingly.

I can't believe all this pessimism, the season is not lost and by no means should we start a youth movement. We are squarely on the bubble right now and if we just take care of business and beat the teams we should beat (PSU, NW, Michigan) and add in a win over Purdue or Wisconsin, we should be okay.

I just wanna see what we look like on Saturday, because honestly, this game will tell me a whole lot about where we're heading in the next month.

Hoffarber is a 10 minute or a 30 minute guy depending on the matchup. You can usually tell early in the game if he is going to get his shots off. Start him and adjust accordingly.

Blake brings a lot more to the table than his shot. He's our 3rd leading rebounder and is probably our best passer. I would also be willing to bet that he is the guy on the team that "gets" Tubby's offense the best.

He will not be benched or play only 10 minutes. He will log 25+ minutes a game the rest of the way.

Blake brings a lot more to the table than his shot. He's our 2nd leading rebounder and is probably our best passer. I would also be willing to bet that he is the guy on the team that "gets" Tubby's offense the best.

He will not be benched or play only 10 minutes. He will log 25+ minutes a game the rest of the way.

The "casual" watcher doesn't usually seem to recognize all of the other things that Blake does well other than shoot. He'll get his minutes either way as he has continued to do all season like you said. Hopefully he is getting open for his shots though because it makes the team that much harder to stop.

definitely a lot of pessimism around here, maybe rightfully so with how the season has unfolded so far for the U.

Remaining schedule and a rival fan's predictions:

2/06 @ PSU (W)
2/11 MICH (W)
2/14 @ NW (L)
2/18 WIS (L, I mentioned I'm a rival fan, right?)
2/20 IND (W)
2/24 PUR (L)
2/27 @ ILL (L)
3/02 @ MICH (W)
3/07 IOWA (W)

I think there is a definite chance you knock off the Badgers or Boilers at the Barn, but even with those two losses IMO I see a (9-9) B10 record. I'm not Selection Sunday so I don't know if that would be good enough to go dancing. I'm guessing a win or two in the B10 tourney would definitely do the trick?

I can't believe all this pessimism, the season is not lost and by no means should we start a youth movement. We are squarely on the bubble right now and if we just take care of business and beat the teams we should beat (PSU, NW, Michigan) and add in a win over Purdue or Wisconsin, we should be okay.

I just wanna see what we look like on Saturday, because honestly, this game will tell me a whole lot about where we're heading in the next month.

On the bubble. We are not on the bubble. As of right now, we are squarely out and need to play our way back in. We need to at least beat UW or Purdue to have a snowball's chance in he**...

Blake is the best pick setter, the best passer, the best shooter. Sitting him is dumb. His defense has even been ok. About Iverson and the pick and roll, Blake is the only guard who can even hit the "roller" with a pass on the way to the basket.

I totally agree that Saturday is more than a "must win". It's a barometer for how these guys have fared coming through this turbulent season.

I don't think it's pessimistic to suggest that our chances of making the NCAA tourney have taken a blow with Nolen's appeal being denied(and the growing likelihood of Mbakwe and White not being a factor this year). i think that's true. How we re-configure to both give ourselves a shot at doing well and building for the future is the question.

I think we're better off with Cobb at the point. I think we're better off with Westbrook coming off the bench(with a green light to shoot). And I really think we're better off giving playing time to Williams.

Top Bottom