Maturi/Tubby dropped the ball

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
What the hell is Joel Maturi thinking? I thought he was supposed to be looking out for the University. I guess not. For him to string Royce along like this is simply wrong. Never, not once, has he give the young man a time-line on when he can return. There has never been a light at the end of the tunnel for Royce. If Maturi and Smith were smart, they would have said this: "Royce, if you work toward resolving your legal issues, you can play on this date against this team."
That never happened. Instead, coach vaguely commented on the issue and Maturi stayed with his "indefinitely suspended" line. Royce felt like there was nothing he could do to become a Gopher. He just kept getting stone-walled. Isn't 20 games enough!!!!!
Royce isn't a victim here, but I don't blame him for being fed up with the whole thing.
Dammit! Royce would have helped this team win games, and in effect, gain exposure and revenue for the program. But I guess none of that matters because he'll never play for the Gophers. There are so many people to blame here: Royce, the UM police, Maturi and Smith.
It really hurts to see the young man stand in front of a camera and flat out state that he's not going to play for the Gophers. This whole thing sucks!
Coach Smith, I hope you don't lose your job over this, and I hope you're happy with teaching a life lesson to Royce instead of winning games.
Bravo...

Teaching a Life Lesson to a young man who desperately needed it>winning basketball games. It's about making these young men better people and to ready them for the real world, Tubby has done everything right in handling this situation. You say Royce isn't a victim, yet your whole first paragraph you try to make him out to be a victim, so which is it, Is Royce at fault for his own actions or do you believe Tubby is to blame for not letting a young man who shoplifted and allegedly involved in a stolen laptop play? Let's say Royce was a walk-on and not a 5* recruit, would you feel the same way about this?

Again, this board is so entertaining. If RW played for Wisconsin or Iowa or any other B10 team, this board would be in a tizzy if he were to play given the same set of circumstances. The hypocrisy is hilarious. I for one don't think Royce is dropping out of school. He's all talk. He's an attention whore like Brett Favre. He's turning this program into an even bigger laughingstock with all of these "crying wolf" You tube videos and what not. After today's developments, if he ever takes the floor in a Gopher uniform, OTS and everyone associated with the program lose all respect and credibility. Notice Mbawke hasn't said a word and is going about his business quietly.

Big you have no idea what Tubby/Maturi told RW about getting back on the team. You seriously wanna beleive what RW has said about the situation? You are setting yourself up for your own disappointment. It is time the U moves on from this guy.

You don't get to play when you "work toward resolving legal issues". You get to play when you "resolve legal issues".

Again, this board is so entertaining. If RW played for Wisconsin or Iowa or any other B10 team, this board would be in a tizzy if he were to play given the same set of circumstances. The hypocrisy is hilarious. I for one don't think Royce is dropping out of school. He's all talk. He's an attention whore like Brett Favre. He's turning this program into an even bigger laughingstock with all of these "crying wolf" You tube videos and what not. After today's developments, if he ever takes the floor in a Gopher uniform, OTS and everyone associated with the program lose all respect and credibility. Notice Mbawke hasn't said a word and is going about his business quietly.

If a Wisconsin or Iowa player committed a few misdemeanors and returned to play after a 20+ game suspension I really don't think anyone would care. I suppose you think they should change the legal system and send people to prison for petty misdemeanors though. I can't imagine what you would want the punishment to be if he actually committed a serious crime. Capital punishment?

Royce White is responsible for what he's done wrong. I was trying to say that the punishment by the University was way too harsh. 10, maybe 15 games would have been enough. What has this taught him? One stupid mistake shouldn't ruin his entire amateur basketball career. Royce has clearly done everything he possibly can to legally resolve his issues, and Maturi hasn't budged one bit. Getting this young man on the court could have prevented all the drama. Maturi left Royce, and many fans, with no hope. It was frustrating to see Maturi, and coach Smith to some extent, continually be so non-specific about his punishment. It's clear that Royce didn't steal the lab-top, let the kid play!!!

If the University wants to kick this kid off, just do it!!! I don't care if he plays for the Gophers or not, I just want it to be 100 percent instead of 99 percent. It's time for someone to make some decisions!!!!

You don't get to play when you "work toward resolving legal issues". You get to play when you "resolve legal issues".

It's not Royce's fault that the university police take 3 months to resolve a missing lap-top. Is it?

The only person who "dropped the ball" was Royce White. He has only himself to blame for what is going on in his life.

Let's just say...

Mbakwe is playing and on his way to All Big Ten season
The team has a winning record in thee Big Ten and even a national Ranking...

How much outrage toward Maturi and Tubby would there be on this board about the "injustice" done towards Royce White?

Integrity isn't convenient. Royce should go to practice, show up on time, keep his mouth shut, and quietly plan on taking over the Big Ten next year if he has to wait that long.

Attacking the AD and the coach over this situation is really wrong.

Big you have no idea what Tubby/Maturi told RW about getting back on the team. You seriously wanna beleive what RW has said about the situation? You are setting yourself up for your own disappointment. It is time the U moves on from this guy.

I have no idea what Tubby has told Royce about a time-line either, because Tubby won't comment on this whole thing. He thinks that it none of the public's business or something. Tubby is so damn frustrating.

The only person who "dropped the ball" was Royce White. He has only himself to blame for what is going on in his life.

Royce, like millions of other college kids in this country, made some dumb, idiotic mistakes. Why is he paying such a HUGE price?

Let's just say...

Mbakwe is playing and on his way to All Big Ten season
The team has a winning record in thee Big Ten and even a national Ranking...

How much outrage toward Maturi and Tubby would there be on this board about the "injustice" done towards Royce White?

Integrity isn't convenient. Royce should go to practice, show up on time, keep his mouth shut, and quietly plan on taking over the Big Ten next year if he has to wait that long.

Attacking the AD and the coach over this situation is really wrong.

The coach and the AD gave Royce White no hope!

In all fairness, if I was in Tubby's situation I wouldn't feel inclined to tell the public all of the details. I'm extremely frustrated, but I have a hard time blaming Tubby or Maturi. It would have been nice if Royce wouldn't have made a mistake by stealing at the MOA and it would have been nice if the UMPD could have put their undeserved egos aside, been a little more professional, and wrapped up the case about 3 months earlier than they did. The worst part is there probably won't be any real conclusion any time soon. I'm still really hoping that he ends up playing for us next season though.

It's not Royce's fault that the university police take 3 months to resolve a missing lap-top. Is it?

No, but here's an idea: Don't walk through a dorm you don't live in opening strangers doors to introduce yourself.

And when you get charged with trespassing for doing it, consider saying, "Yep, that's what I did, so if that's trespassing then I'm guilty" rather than fighting the charges because "everyone else does it".

Try fighting a speeding ticket because "everyone else does it" and see how that works.

Royce, like millions of other college kids in this country, made some dumb, idiotic mistakes. Why is he paying such a HUGE price?

I would hardly call not playing college basketball a HUGE price for what he has been convicted of in the past and the current charges that are against him. Royce is not the victim!!! Do u really feel the need to respond to everybody who thinks u are wrong? Agree to disagree and move on....

I would hardly call not playing college basketball a HUGE price for what he has been convicted of in the past and the current charges that are against him. Royce is not the victim!!! Do u really feel the need to respond to everybody who thinks u are wrong? Agree to disagree and move on....

Actually, first re-watch the MOA security video, then agree to disagree.

The coach and the AD gave Royce White no hope!

Letting him practice with the team?

When you do what he did, I think you're supposed to expect that you'll be in the coach's doghouse. AND it's your job to get out. Not the AD's. Not the coach's. not the campus police's.

You do what is asked of you without ultimatums or threats of quitting. The coach finally sees your serious about walking the line and you're back in his good graces and you're again allowed to do what love. Mbakwe is doing that.

It isn't the University's responsibility to give White comfort for screwing up. They didn't ask him to leave. He has/had a way back. GO TO PRACTICE. KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT. Sooner or later he'll play. yeah, it's out his control. he made that happen.

Why paint him as a victim?

Letting him practice with the team?

When you do what he did, I think you're supposed to expect that you'll be in the coach's doghouse. AND it's your job to get out. Not the AD's. Not the coach's. not the campus police's.

You do what is asked of you without ultimatums or threats of quitting. The coach finally sees your serious about walking the line and you're back in his good graces and you're again allowed to do what love. Mbakwe is doing that.

It isn't the University's responsibility to give White comfort for screwing up. They didn't ask him to leave. He has/had a way back. GO TO PRACTICE. KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT. Sooner or later he'll play. yeah, it's out his control. he made that happen.

Why paint him as a victim?

Finally some reason to a multitude of ridiculous posts.

BTW I would love to see him play for the Gophers but I am starting to wonder.

Royce White is responsible for what he's done wrong. I was trying to say that the punishment by the University was way too harsh. 10, maybe 15 games would have been enough.

Are you kidding? Royce deserved to be booted off the team for what he did. He doesn't realize how good he has it.

One stupid mistake shouldn't ruin his entire amateur basketball career.

It's Royce's fault if he lets it ruin his entire amateur career. He's got four years of eligibility and a redshirt.

Also, one mistake? Just one?

Are you kidding? Royce deserved to be booted off the team for what he did. He doesn't realize how good he has it.

It's Royce's fault if he lets it ruin his entire amateur career. He's got four years of eligibility and a redshirt.

Also, one mistake? Just one?

Here are the stupid mistakes as I see them:
- Shoplifting
- When confronted about shoplifting, pushing the security guard over
- When the security guard gets back up, pushing the security guard over so hard that you are lucky he didn't crack his skull
- Doing something to get kicked out of the dorm you lived in
- Walking through a dorm you don't live in and opening doors of people you don't know
- While suspended from the team, posting videos on YouTube that test the patience of the coach
- Threatening to quit the program
- Threatening to quit the program again

That's just since enrolling.

Here are the stupid mistakes as I see them:
- Shoplifting
- When confronted about shoplifting, pushing the security guard over
- When the security guard gets back up, pushing the security guard over so hard that you are lucky he didn't crack his skull
- Doing something to get kicked out of the dorm you lived in
- Walking through a dorm you don't live in and opening doors of people you don't know
- While suspended from the team, posting videos on YouTube that test the patience of the coach
- Threatening to quit the program
- Threatening to quit the program again

Classic case of a coach letting a star player hold the program hostage...Tubby shoulda cut ties with White back in December and the current players and fans could have moved on with what they've got.

I have no idea what Tubby has told Royce about a time-line either, because Tubby won't comment on this whole thing. He thinks that it none of the public's business or something.
And that's the right approach to take, IMO. It comes down to whether you trust Tubby to do the right thing. I do ... apparently you don't. Heck, you haven't since appearing on this board -- at least you're consistent.

Two points here...take Art at his word. I am guessing no one on this board knows more about whores than this tool!

The U needs to move on from RW and RW needs to move on from the U. Royce just makes himself look bad and Maturi looks worse by telling the kid he cannot play but then begs him not to quit the program. Royce, do yourself a favor and withdraw from school and go play overseas and rehab your image.

ROYCE WHITE - COME TO NDSU!! WE"LL TAKE YOU!!

Tubby/Maturi/UM Police are like the keystone kops running around. Its a shame, shoplifting at the MOA = 5 game suspension (he paid the price in the media/courts)
laptop incident = Overblown BS with people wanting to "HATE" on Royce.

that's what you get for a bunch of liberal hippies running your university.

ROYCE WHITE - COME TO NDSU!! WE"LL TAKE YOU!!

Tubby/Maturi/UM Police are like the keystone kops running around. Its a shame, shoplifting at the MOA = 5 game suspension (he paid the price in the media/courts)
laptop incident = Overblown BS with people wanting to "HATE" on Royce.

that's what you get for a bunch of liberal hippies running your university.

Ok.... So how do I do the ignore function?

I'm not blaming Tubby (or the AD) for Royce not playing. As a matter of fact, with some of the things Royce had said, I probably would have dismissed him from the team by now. But then again, he is a 19-year old kid and I'm all for second chances. Despite what you think, BigGopher, we don't have a right to know everything that goes on between a coach and his players. There are privacy issues and ethical issues and, chances are, if you knew what the coach knows about these cases, you might agree that the crimes fit the punishment.

Just because you and some of the other fans are frustrated, doesn't mean the coach owes us all of the inside information...so you can feel 100% sure.

I do agree with those on this board who point out that Trevor has kept his mouth shut and gone about his business...and I'm guessing that he's probably just as frustrated as Royce.

I'm not blaming Tubby (or the AD) for Royce not playing. As a matter of fact, with some of the things Royce had said, I probably would have dismissed him from the team by now. But then again, he is a 19-year old kid and I'm all for second chances. Despite what you think, BigGopher, we don't have a right to know everything that goes on between a coach and his players. There are privacy issues and ethical issues and, chances are, if you knew what the coach knows about these cases, you might agree that the crimes fit the punishment.

Just because you and some of the other fans are frustrated, doesn't mean the coach owes us all of the inside information...so you can feel 100% sure.

I do agree with those on this board who point out that Trevor has kept his mouth shut and gone about his business...and I'm guessing that he's probably just as frustrated as Royce.

+1

Top Bottom