Westbrook

shootstraight

Reaction score
This post is late but I had to comment on Westbrook from last weeks Michigan State game and most any other time I have seen him play this year. It appears that he has a bit of Humphries philosophy in that he believes he is the only one that can score for this team. He is a very poor clutch shooter and he will not even think about passing the ball in a critical situation. I am not sure why Tubby has him on the floor at times as it makes it very easy for opposing teams to defend us when they know they can double Westbrook and he will not give up the ball.
I realize there are other issues on this team as well but many people must believe that Westbrook is much better than he appears to be much of the time.

I'm glad you brought this up.

I've had this feeling since mid last year that we'd be a better "team" without LW.

I've had this feeling since mid last year that we'd be a better "team" without LW.

here is my two cents on LW's feels of self importance -

I attended the Penn State game in Dec at Williams arena. LW had a very nice game and on a postgame interview on the radio LW said (not an exact quote) - "we have a lot of great players on this team, like myself" and then failed to mention anyone else. I laughed out loud at the comment, but felt it summed up LWs ego quite well.

I have the same feelings on him as both of you. He is a streaky player (great at times, mediocre at times), but he is never short on the feelings that "I am the Man"!

So we lose White. We lose Mbakwe. We lose Nolen. Now you would like to see the only guy on the team who can create his own shot disappear?

Figi,

I did not say that I would like to see him disappear, but if he is not willing to change his game a bit to be condusive to getting others involved at critical times, I think we would be better without him.

Thank you. People don't realize that we don't exactly have a great alternative to playing Westbrook.

So we lose White. We lose Mbakwe. We lose Nolen. Now you would like to see the only guy on the team who can create his own shot disappear?

I always say that LW will win you 2 games a year by himself...and lose you 4.

His defense is putrid. He's an awful passer. He takes stupid shots. However, when he heats up...no one can stop him.

With Nolen out, the team needs him, but he's nothing more than a bench spark on a good team.

this may be one of the dumbest threads I've read in a really long time

Really????

Perhaps Mbakwe's facebook status and White's latest weird pronouncement interest you more, but I'd rather read and debate about the team. This thread, a debate over whether Westbrook "there is no team in I" attitude benefits or hurts the Gophers, seems perfectly fine to me.

We've got three individuals for whatever reason cannot stay with or make it on to the team. And then we have a senior who has played through (and remained eligible for) a fairly terrible coach and the rough part of having a new coach, all while trying to be as good as he can be. And lifting the team to wins over Wisconsin, Penn St., etc.

But because you don't like his ego, you don't want him on the team. Well I don't like Damian Johnson's haircut and think the team would be much better off without him.

How about a 6th man role for him. If he is in the zone he plays the end of the game too? This was someone else's idea but I like it. Yes in crunch time we are an easy team to stop. But if not for Westbrooks spurts in certain games we wouldnt even have a chance.

The Accomplice -
It is amazing that you felt this was a worthless topic and then you post what you did. To say that Westbrook deserves credit for "staying eligible" and "hanging in" there through a bad coach and one new coach is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. With those expectations, that may be why we are typically happy to be in the middle of the pack. Trying hard at the D1 level is not enough. Westbrook has talent and as I said twice, I am not suggesting that he be dropped from the team. I am just frustrated that his reigns are not pulled in more often and be held accountable for selfish style of play as I would expect from any player. I don't care how talented anyone is, if they score 10 points and give up 12 every time they are on the floor (and does not add many intangibles other than scoring), we are going to be nothing but a average team at best, which is exactly what we are.

Hallelujah. I've seen the light!

Yes, just scoring is not enough. I want to see him help old people into their seat. Can he wipe my mouth after I spill some ice cream? That would be grand.

Top Bottom