Anyone else notice

You "can't believe the thread," yet you come back in typical M-L style with a Jonestown reference?

Jesus. :eek:

It shows the baffoonery of these people who are actually sitting around trying to figure out how to catch people with two IPs, multiple names etc. WOW, what a waste of time. I was actually hoping my Jonestown reference would be more accurate. These people are wacky. You might not like my analogies but I'm trying to show the lunacy of thier thought process.

OH!!! But you can come here and call us "loonies"?

Jesus. :horse:

No offense Dr. Don, your bigotry is loonie. A bunch of you old timers are actually sitting around trying to figure out how to better police the room via IP searches, name investigations, etc? You must admit it is a bit conspiratorial and black helicopterish. Anyone you disagree with you just resort to name calling and thug like bullying tactics. You should police yourselves first and hold the Senior members to higher standards.

Touche OO, I agree.

You'd think I would have learned by now, but some of these new posters have really started to get under my skin; they're coming from everywhere...but life goes on.

I'll try to follow your well-reasoned advice from now on ;)

I agree. I am new but I agree completely. We need to stop frivolous imposters before they get a hold of the room and drive all the real minds of Gopher Hole out. What do we do? How do we stop the evil? I have a few suggestions:

- Start a task force that investigates this issue (I offer my services to lead this task force)
- Get a SS # in order for people to sign up
- Get a credit card # that matches the name (beware: some might have fake credit cards with aliases)
- Make people use their real name - It's anonymity that drives this foolishness
- Checking IP addresses will never work - I use an IP randomizer so "people" cannot tell who I am

I agree. I am new but I agree completely. We need to stop frivolous imposters before they get a hold of the room and drive all the real minds of Gopher Hole out. What do we do? How do we stop the evil? I have a few suggestions:

- Start a task force that investigates this issue (I offer my services to lead this task force)
- Get a SS # in order for people to sign up
- Get a credit card # that matches the name (beware: some might have fake credit cards with aliases)
- Make people use their real name - It's anonymity that drives this foolishness
- Checking IP addresses will never work - I use an IP randomizer so "people" cannot tell who I am

This post. I just wrote 8 or 9 posts back, that I just ignore certain posts. But this one falls under either a really funny post, or, under the catagory of 'you can't make this stuff up.' At least I can't, this is too rich.

Yes please start a task force. That will work really well.

SSI #, sure as if idenity theft isn't easy enough to expose oneself to. Lets give a board the most vulnerable piece of info for identity theft exposure,

CC, da, a fake card w/ an aliases, you think maybe that is a weak confirmation? I would be impressed with a board that had no way to check out or didn't bother to check out the card.

Make people use their real name. It's anoymity that drives the foolishness?

And you who use a IP randomizer? As I said, at least I couldn't possibly make this stuff up, nicely done!

You don't have to say who you are, I figured it out. I thought the late Senator Joe McCarthy died in 1957, but apparently not. You still live!

This post. I just wrote 8 or 9 posts back, that I just ignore certain posts. But this one falls under either a really funny post, or, under the catagory of 'you can't make this stuff up.' At least I can't, this is too rich.

SSI #, sure as if idenity theft isn't easy enough to expose oneself to. Lets give a board the most vulnerable piece of info for identity theft exposure,

CC, da, a fake card w/ an aliases, you think maybe that is a weak confirmation? I would be impressed with a board that had no way to check out or didn't bother to check out the card.

And you who use a IP randomizer? As I said, at least I couldn't possibly make this stuff up, nicely done!

You don't have to say who you are, I figured it out. I thought the late Senator Joe McCarthy died in 1957, but apparently not. You still live!

I agree. There are some real loonies in here. I honestly think some people live here and treat it like its their holy shrine. Your Joe McCarthy reference is right on. Nixon might be a close second. The sad thing is, the more these people complain about it the more noticed these "new" people get, and they are the ones they complain about. They just need to start their own elitist chat room.

Are you a friend or foe?
If you are serious about a task force, how do I go about by starting one?
Randomizers keep the government from tracking my online movements. Everyone should get one.

Are you a friend or foe?
If you are serious about a task force, how do I go about by starting one?
Randomizers keep the government from tracking my online movements. Everyone should get one.

Like I said...Loonies

I agree. There are some real loonies in here. I honestly think some people live here and treat it like its their holy shrine. Your Joe McCarthy reference is right on. Nixon might be a close second. The sad thing is, the more these people complain about it the more noticed these "new" people get, and they are the ones they complain about. They just need to start their own elitist chat room.

Its not a holy shrine but we are just trying to preserve the authenticity of this web site and those GH members that actually care about what is stated here. We need tighter security in here and need to stop theopen door policy. I've seen this happen in many chat rooms before and it is sad. I'm thinking of writing an article about this.

I guess the thin skinned who have no life are sensitive, but there are plenty of new posters who shouldn't care, at least I don't. And it is not personal, I don't attack the Gophers or Tubby in a monsterous way , but will be critical at times.

My premise is that I like Gopher BB, and that is all that matters to me.

If some of the old posters want to ignore us, why should we care? That is the easiest way for them to get their closed nit incestuous board created, utopia for them. We wouldn't even know that they did it (I think, maybe not- but who cares?) At the end of the day, I don't really get real excited about any post. Spock on Star Trek was my brother.

I guess the thin skinned who have no life are sensitive, but there are plenty of new posters who shouldn't care, at least I don't. And it is not personal, I don't attack the Gophers or Tubby in a monsterous way , but will be critical at times.

My premise is that I like Gopher BB, and that is all that matters to me.

If some of the old posters want to ignore us, why should we care? That is the easiest way for them to get their closed nit incestuous board created, utopia for them. We wouldn't even know that they did it (I think, maybe not- but who cares?) At the end of the day, I don't really get real excited about any post. Spock on Star Trek was my brother.

I think they want to ban some of us, that is how I am taking it. That is the only reason I am even noticing this, or else I would ignore it. Or possibly making a new member wait for months to be able to post things, which is ridiculous. Like you, I like Gopher hoops and I enjoy chatting about it, some positive, some negative, some right, some wrong. Plus every time you say something on here that is controversial you get called "Troll" or "Sock Puppet", it just gets old. I just like the good debates about hoops and some of these old timers are trying to stop this, it seems.

I think they want to ban some of us, that is how I am taking it. That is the only reason I am even noticing this, or else I would ignore it. Or possibly making a new member wait for months to be able to post things, which is ridiculous. Like you, I like Gopher hoops and I enjoy chatting about it, some positive, some negative, some right, some wrong. Plus every time you say something on here that is controversial you get called "Troll" or "Sock Puppet", it just gets old. I just like the good debates about hoops and some of these old timers are trying to stop this, it seems.

I can understand some of your frustration. However, it's also important to understand the circumstances of this trend; the team is struggling and all of the sudden there are new posters popping up everywhere posting inflammatory material. It does cause one to step back and think just a bit.

Having said that, I'm certainly not one for conspiracy theories generally speaking. And I don't automatically assume that these folks are trying to torpedo the board. The biggest thing to me is establishing a level of credibility. Long-time posters have already established a reputation and are therefore looked on a little more favorably by some. On the other hand, when new posters consistently post negative messages, it leads one to be labeled as a troll simply because there isn't enough a sample size to discern differently.

Like you, I'm interested in having honest discussions about basketball and for the most part, I try to steer away from inflammatory statements. But as long as new folks continue to post such things, there will always be some who automatically assume "troll" and will float it out there. In other words, everyone involved would be much better served by toning it down a bit imo.

I can understand some of your frustration. However, it's also important to understand the circumstances of this trend; the team is struggling and all of the sudden there are new posters popping up everywhere posting inflammatory material. It does cause one to step back and think just a bit.

Having said that, I'm certainly not one for conspiracy theories generally speaking. And I don't automatically assume that these folks are trying to torpedo the board. The biggest thing to me is establishing a level of credibility. Long-time posters have already established a reputation and are therefore looked on a little more favorably by some. On the other hand, when new posters consistently post negative messages, it leads one to be labeled as a troll simply because there isn't enough a sample size to discern differently.

Like you, I'm interested in having honest discussions about basketball and for the most part, I try to steer away from inflammatory statements. But as long as new folks continue to post such things, there will always be some who automatically assume "troll" and will float it out there. In other words, everyone involved would be much better served by toning it down a bit imo.

That is fair enough and I think your assessment of the situation is accurate. Just understand some of the inflammatory remarks are generated because of how some of the senior members respond to new postings and it escalates from there. What came first, Chicken or Egg? I don't know but there is enough blame for all of us to take responsibility.

That is fair enough and I think your assessment of the situation is accurate. Just understand some of the inflammatory remarks are generated because of how some of the senior members respond to new postings and it escalates from there. What came first, Chicken or Egg? I don't know but there is enough blame for all of us to take responsibility.

Agree, which is why I'm pretty much always in favor of toning it down, whether it be a newbie or a veteran poster. Escalating things with name calling and irrationality is never a good idea.

I come to this board for diversion, entertainment, to gain information, to state my opinion and to view the opinions of others. I disagree with much of what I read and I skip over much of what gets posted here. I also experience that some of my posts including some of what I consider my best are ignored by the rest of the board. That is disappointing. However what disappoints me most is to come here and find little or nothing to read. I enjoy this board when it is lively and I have plenty to read or ignore as I choose. I really don't see the point of trying to limit who can post here. I am irritated by those who try to intimidate others from posting because they don't like their opinion. The opposite of love is ignore. If someone is posting here inappropriately then flag them and let the mods do their thing. Otherwise the more the merrier. People are going to say things we don't like. The worst thing you can do to them is ignore them.

That is well said Roy Christensen, and MRJ's comments are also spot on. Except, my stance is ignore posts that don't make sense to the reader. As I have said in the past, life is too short, but I also have to remind myself, some really make me laugh. The board can indeed be very entertaining.

This is cyber world...make educated posts...don't post stupid things...go by that honor system...and if you got a problem with something...just report it...fighting and arguing about stupid things over the internet is very childish.

Nope. I smell Kentucky racists among them.
I've seen a lot of poor spelling, grammar and even weaker logic. But to leap to the conclusion that they're racist either means you've read something that I haven't or you're back to your penchant for "crying wolf."

It only weakens your credibility.

It's possible to be critical of Tubby without being a racist. Honest. (And, with "friends" like you, Tubby's enemies have even more ammo.)

Top Bottom