Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Wolves win NBA title

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Gopher B-Ball wins National Title

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Gopher Football wins National Title

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters

Really? Can you remind me of the times when the Vikings, Wild, and Wolves were in the championship tier of teams?

They have all made the Final 4 of their respective sports within the past 11 years. Neither Gophers football nor basketball have been remotely in the ballpark of close.

They have all made the Final 4 of their respective sports within the past 11 years. Neither Gophers football nor basketball have been remotely in the ballpark of close.

Wasn't this poll "which team will win a championship first?"

It wasn't?

You said tier. Final Four in any sport is the championship "tier" by any reasonable approximation. If you were looking to ask whether any of those teams had made the championship game/series/etc., you should've formulated your question better.

You said tier. Final Four in any sport is the championship "tier" by any reasonable approximation. If you were looking to ask whether any of those teams had made the championship game/series/etc., you should've formulated your question better.

By my definition, a "championship tier" would be winning a championship. Just like how being in an "upper tier" would be in the upper half, not being close to the upper half.

Whatever, not trying to start an argument over something dumb.

Really? Can you remind me of the times when the Vikings, Wild, and Wolves were in the championship tier of teams?

The point is the pros have advantages the Gophers do not. Way more in terms of revenue sharing(especially NFL) and the common draft.

The Gophers gain nothing by finishing last. In fact they fall further behind. Pro sports are set up to help the bottom teams rebuild. Now if we were one of the helmet schools if may very well be a different story.........but we're not.

The point is the pros have advantages the Gophers do not. Way more in terms of revenue sharing(especially NFL) and the common draft.

The Gophers gain nothing by finishing last. In fact they fall further behind. Pro sports are set up to help the bottom teams rebuild. Now if we were one of the helmet schools if may very well be a different story.........but we're not.

Haha, tell that to the Jaguars and Wolves. I get your point though.

Good old Patty Kane ends the Wild's threat to seize this poll.

The drought lives on; 22 years, 6 months, and counting...

Good old Patty Kane ends the Wild's threat to seize this poll.

The drought lives on; 22 years, 6 months, and counting...

If Crawford and Co. are going to win a game when we play as well as we did last night, they earned it. What a series for former Gopher Erik Haula.

If Crawford and Co. are going to win a game when we play as well as we did last night, they earned it. What a series for former Gopher Erik Haula.

Yeah, that was one hell of a game, in fact I'd go so far as to even call it epic, in spite the loss.

To me that exemplified that which is most beautiful about hockey, that free-flowing end to end affair, and how we dominated that game as a desperate team only could, as we pegged shot after shot and had chance after chance, but simply met a wall, and for all that domination of play, it was only the end result on the scoreboard which mattered, and how that was ultimately a shame, but all the rest of it was beautiful.

And Haula, yes. Wow, his speed was something else to see.

I think the Wild definitely garnered respect with their play in this series, and I appreciated Kane's honesty in his interview at the end, when he said basically "Hey, we pretty much just lucked-out this game", and how they pretty much did, as they were thoroughly outplayed for the duration, but for a goaltender playing out of his mind.

I'll still go with the Wild. Crazy **** happens in the playoffs in that league

Gopher football wins Big Ten would have made it closer. Regardless, Wild is the only one I could see in the next decade if bad contracts get moved. Gopher hockey is the best shot, but the program is a mess. That can be remedied with a new staff.

Rule out the Wolves. I simply don't see how we could ever win an NBA Championship.
Vikings - It's not going to happen until 4 years after Spielman leaves. It's simply doesn't seem like they are even close. With this management and ownership, we've never been this consistently far away from being in the Super Bowl ever.
Wild - I think they are on a downward spiral where they will miss the playoffs in the coming years. They don't have the young core that's good enough. Only two or three different teams win the NHL anyway.
Gopher football odds are simply too great. 1 in 120 or so. The other leagues are all around 1 in 30.
So I went with the Twins. They have a few young players. Maybe they find two stud pitchers by dumb luck, and that will be enough to carry them.

Baseball playoffs can be flukish. More so than NBA, NFL, and even hockey it seems, so I went with the Twins.
But it's like 5-6 years away before they are serious contenders.

The difference with the Wild is Minnesota can attract top free agents in hockey.

I saw a SportsCenter graphic that said that D.C. had the longest conference title drought in USA sports (1998).

Am I missing something? Minnesota would be 1991. Are they counting the Lynx?

I saw a SportsCenter graphic that said that D.C. had the longest conference title drought in USA sports (1998).

I think they are talking Conference title appearance I believe.

I think you can make an argument for each choice above. I think all are heading in the right direction. I'd almost say the Wild would be at the bottom of my list.

That graphic was inaccurate. It was referring to the city with the longest conference title appearance drought. Whoever made that graphic was being lazy.

Top Bottom