Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Wolves win NBA title

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Gopher B-Ball wins National Title

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Gopher Football wins National Title

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters
Here's the Lynx's future PG. A 9 year old breaking ankles at the hs level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Jh_ztcSwJc

4th grade...geez, these mixtapes are getting younger and younger lol.

I said Twins at the time, but the thing about the Vikings is, if you get that QB, suddenly you jump right into the mix, and we've seen in the NFL how quickly a dud of a squad can suddenly be SB contenders. If I were guessing at this juncture, I'd probably say Vikings or Wild.

The Gophers have already won several National Football Championships. The " Little Darlings" will be gone in 10 years and the city of Minneapolis will scrambling to fill that erector set of a football stadium they're building. The Twins will continue to struggle if the Pohlads don't sell. They refuse to spend a buck to put other then a triple A A A
team on the field. Twins fans will continue coming to Target Field like sheep following the good Shepard. Kill and the
Gophers will have played in one Rose Bowl and 3 other BCS Champio nship game series. Pitino will get us to two Final Fours and get us our first B1G Title since 1981. Lucia will coach another 5 years and get us too one Frozen Four. The Wild will play in a Stanley Cup.final because they're willing to spend the money for players. Flip has his run at GM and they will win a divisional title or two, but no NBA title. The teams of destiny? Gopher Women Sports. The
pucksters will win an additional 5 National titles. Pam Borton is done after two more years and the Gophers bring in
Lindsey Whalen. In an 8 year span she leads the ladies to 3 B1G titles and one Final 4. The Volleyball team wins two
B1G titles and gets a Final Four win. Guy's, I saw all of this in the bottom of a ice fishing hole in the way the crystals
were forming in 25 below weather. It was mesmerizing! There is your 10 year prediction IMHO.

How are things in Colorado Ruppert?:cool02:

Hell Freezes Over

When%20Hell%20Freezes%20Over.jpg

+1

Theoretically, it should be the Vikings. As others have suggested, the structure of the league lends itself to parity and quick rebuilding. However I don't trust the ownership and management of that franchise for a second.

So I'll have to go with the Twinkies. With two of the top three prospect in all of the minors at CF (Buxton) and 3B (Sano) about to break onto the big stage, the team's about to turn things around. Both should be playing at Target Field by mid-summer. If Ryan continues to spend on pitching, and one or two of the top pitching prospects (Meyer and Mays) pan out, they could be dangerous soon. Keeping Gardy was a smart decision. I'm looking for them to finish at or slightly above .500 and second in the Central this summer. If they can do that, they're on track to be pennant contenders in 2015 and 2016.

How are things in Colorado Ruppert?:cool02:

I'm guessing that is tongue in cheek on your part 19. Still in Nisswa my good man. A trip up too Red Lake next weekend in quest of the giant walleye and then Mrs. Flywheel and I heading to Florida till April 1st.

I'm guessing that is tongue in cheek on your part 19. Still in Nisswa my good man. A trip up too Red Lake next weekend in quest of the giant walleye and then Mrs. Flywheel and I heading to Florida till April 1st.

When I read the part about the little darlins gone in 10 years I thought you might be on one of those 'NEW' Colorado highs.

Sorry to hear you aren't able to handle a full winter anymore.......Count all your strokes.:cool02:

Who'd a thunk that since this thread was originally put up in early 2010, the Twins would move into their new stadium, get blown out of the playoffs in 2010, then have 3 straight seasons with at least 96 losses apiece:banghead:

And the Vikings would have three double-digit-loss seasons in the past 4, while finishing dead last in the NFC North in those 3 seasons (2010, 2011,2013).

Every other local squad is so far from elite...that I would have to cast my (split) vote in favor of the Lynx and the Lady Gopher pucksters.

Don Lucia and J Robinson would be #3 and #4.

When I read the part about the little darlins gone in 10 years I thought you might be on one of those 'NEW' Colorado highs.

Sorry to hear you aren't able to handle a full winter anymore.......Count all your strokes.:cool02:

Well 19 it is like this. I can sit and ponder my walk on life with a cigar over an ice fishing hole and what so far as been the winter from hell here in Nisswa, or I can sit on the beach with a surf rod ;same cigar in 70 degree weather and
Do the same pondering with the extra added attraction of the occasional scantily clad female walking by. Not a tough
choice.

Gopher Football. The Senators/Twins have been at it since 1894 and have only won 3 titles (2 of them aided by the Roller/Metrodome). The Vikings have been at it since 1961 and we're still waiting(team is jinxed). The Wolves are the Wolves and who cares about the Wild.

The Gophers have 7 National Titles and are back to playing outside(helps Gophers, hurts Twins). They have a President that supports football, a solid AD, and a head coach that is building a strong program. The new practice facilities(fingers crossed), TCF, and the newly aligned Big Ten will pave the way.

Gopher Basketball is my second choice. Pitino is awesome ;)

Obviously I'm biased and kidding, but I honestly believe Gopher Football or Basketball have as good a chance as any other team in this town.

Eden Prairie will lose a State Championship before anything else.

1. Vikings-they seem like they could get there if they could get out of their own way.
2. Wild-their coach seems to have a propensity to collapse midseason, but they are stacked with talent, I could see the Wild being on the right side of one of those miracle low-seed runs to the Cup.
3. Gopher Football-long way to go, but I think the sky is the limit with Kill at the helm
4. Timberwolves- even when they are supposed to be good, they stink, they are pretty good at using injuries as an excuse and then still stinking after they get everyone back
5. Twins- I struggle to understand how a team can be so mismanaged
6. Gopher Basketball- I could see a Big Ten title at some point under Pitino, but I have trouble imagining us winning the whole thing come March Madness

Gopher hockey was left off the poll for reasons which escape me. They would have been my first choice, I think we are strong contenders this year and next.

Gopher Hockey: I don't think Lucia stays any longer than 5 years. I would think we make at least one Frozen Four during that time period. The women pucksters are in a league all of their own. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't run the table the next 5 years. He already has another top recruiting class coming in.

1. Vikings-they seem like they could get there if they could get out of their own way.
2. Wild-their coach seems to have a propensity to collapse midseason, but they are stacked with talent, I could see the Wild being on the right side of one of those miracle low-seed runs to the Cup.
3. Gopher Football-long way to go, but I think the sky is the limit with Kill at the helm
4. Timberwolves- even when they are supposed to be good, they stink, they are pretty good at using injuries as an excuse and then still stinking after they get everyone back
5. Twins- I struggle to understand how a team can be so mismanaged
6. Gopher Basketball- I could see a Big Ten title at some point under Pitino, but I have trouble imagining us winning the whole thing come March Madness

Is this just a list of your favorite teams? I don't know how anyone can put the Vikings #1. New stadiums don't come with new franchise QBs. The Vikings are a looooooong ways away from being competitive in the division, much less being considered a legit Super Bowl contender.

Gopher hockey was left off the poll for reasons which escape me. They would have been my first choice, I think we are strong contenders this year and next.

You answered your own question. Gopher hockey is the preeminent program in their sport and the poll wouldn't be very much fun with one obvious answer.

Is this just a list of your favorite teams? I don't know how anyone can put the Vikings #1. New stadiums don't come with new franchise QBs. The Vikings are a looooooong ways away from being competitive in the division, much less being considered a legit Super Bowl contender.

I understand the disagreement, but it is not a list in order of favorites. Otherwise, the Wild, Gopher football, and Gopher hoops would be higher and the Wolves would be at the bottom. I just think the Vikings are closer than you do. I think we had the personnel to be in the playoffs this year. Bad coaching cost us 5 games that we led with under a minute to play but kept going back to the same crap late-game-lead defense, and we could have been 10-6 had the coaches not Masoned thsoe games away. And that was with our collection of CFL-caliber quarterbacks. In my opinion, we are a good-but-not-great quarterback and a defensive coordinator away from legitimate contender.

1. Vikings
2. Wild
3. Gophers Hoops
4. Twins
5. Gophers FB
6. Wolves

If I could choose it would be Gopher FB. Not expecting any of them in my lifetime.

I said gopher hoops, it's the easiest sport to build a winner on the fly, although in hockey you just have to get into the playoffs and a hot goalie and a great blueline can take you pretty far

I said gopher hoops, it's the easiest sport to build a winner on the fly, although in hockey you just have to get into the playoffs and a hot goalie and a great blueline can take you pretty far

There are 30 MLB teams.
There are 32 NFL teams.
There are 351 D1 basketball teams.

I could go on but....

There are 30 MLB teams.
There are 32 NFL teams.
There are 351 D1 basketball teams.

I could go on but....

The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB (to a partial extent, with the luxury tax) are designed and engineered for the maximum amount of parity possible. There is no parity, by design or otherwise, at the college level, and no attempts to engineer it. The overall numbers are largely irrelevant when there are only a handful of teams in Division I basketball or I-A football capable of winning a national championship.

The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB (to a partial extent, with the luxury tax) are designed and engineered for the maximum amount of parity possible. There is no parity, by design or otherwise, at the college level, and no attempts to engineer it. The overall numbers are largely irrelevant when there are only a handful of teams in Division I basketball or I-A football capable of winning a national championship.

I think in the basketball context, it is a little harsh to say that most teams are not capable of winning a national championship. I feel like if there were such a category, most people would have put Wichita State in it as recently as a few years ago, and then last year they moved to within two wins of the national championship and gave eventual champion Louisville their closest test of anybody in the tournament. I would agree that in the college context, the "have-nots" face more of an uphill battle than the pro sports for the reasons you mention.

I do agree in college football that there are a limited number of teams capable of winning a national championship because the championship structure has shut out undefeated teams in the past.

Of those 351, how many are legit contenders? 32?

Of course not all 351 but a lot more than 32.

And as you say dpo the pros are designed for parity much more so than college. Problem is the lack of parity leaves the Gophers out of the top 32+. Or another way to say it; The bottom teams in the NFL and MLB are closer to the top than the Gophers presently are.

A lot more than 32? I would disagree, any double digit seed has little to no chance in the tourney.

You're using short term examples to address a long term issue.

Those double digit seeds could be single digit seeds next year, or the year after, or the year after, or the..................................

More than likely a team that does not make the field this year will make it next year, and the year after, and the year after...............................

There are more teams to compete with for a National Championship in college BB and FB than there are in NFL and MLB. Period.

Edit: You also have revenue sharing in the NFL and MLB and not to mention you get the first draft pick if you finish last. Last I checked, no draft picks in NCAA.

You're using short term examples to address a long term issue.

Those double digit seeds could be single digit seeds next year, or the year after, or the year after, or the..................................

More than likely a team that does not make the field this year will make it next year, and the year after, and the year after...............................

There are more teams to compete with for a National Championship in college BB and FB than there are in NFL and MLB. Period.

Edit: You also have revenue sharing in the NFL and MLB and not to mention you get the first draft pick if you finish last. Last I checked, no draft picks in NCAA.

Only 35 teams have won the national championship ever, with only 14 winning more than once. It's basically the same teams to compete with every year. There is an upper tier of teams competing for the title each year, and that's about it.

Only 35 teams have won the national championship ever, with only 14 winning more than once. It's basically the same teams to compete with every year. There is an upper tier of teams competing for the title each year, and that's about it.

And the Gophers are not in it.

When the NCAA went too the 85 scholarship limit they felt that would help create more parity in college football.
As Dpo said, and others, it really hasn't . The rich are still getting richer. My on going wish is for the Gophers to get back too the Rose Bowl. Sadly, and realistically I put the odds of that with the way the B1G divisions are setup the
equivalent of getting a hole in one....10,000 -1

When the NCAA went too the 85 scholarship limit they felt that would help create more parity in college football.
As Dpo said, and others, it really hasn't . The rich are still getting richer. My on going wish is for the Gophers to get back too the Rose Bowl. Sadly, and realistically I put the odds of that with the way the B1G divisions are setup the
equivalent of getting a hole in one....10,000 -1

If you will give me 10,000-1 odds and a signed contract to that effect, I'll lay some money down on the Gophs next year.

Top Bottom