Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Gopher B-Ball wins National Title

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Gopher Football wins National Title

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters

monaco

Reaction score
Which Minnesota team will win a championship first?

You didn't include an option for "none of the above."

No, seriously.

If one of these doesn't happen in my lifetime (the next 70 years) that'll be pretty depressing

what are the vegas lines on each?

would be interesting to see

I think this would be a better poll if the Gopher football team's ultimate goal was to win the Rose Bowl. I honestly could not care less about the national title. All I want is to see the Gophers have a great year in the Big Ten and then be rewarded with the opportunity to play the Pac-Ten champ in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.

What more could a true Big Ten fan want?

How About Option G)

Hell Freezes Over

When%20Hell%20Freezes%20Over.jpg

I think this would be a better poll if the Gopher football teams ultimate goal was to win the Rose Bowl. I honestly could not care less bout the national title. All I want is to see the Gophers have a great year in the Big Ten and then be rewarded with the opportunity to play the Pac-Ten champ in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl.

What more could a true Big Ten fan want?

+1

I went with the team that has done it, plus if we add some guys the Twins could be a force.

The statistical odds of winning any college championship are so much lower unless you are part of the already existing upper tier of teams. Baseball is really the only pro sport that has the same anti-parity structure.

I voted Wild. With the uncertainty at the QB position the Vikes are a risky option, and until baseball changes the structure you basically have to do everything right to beat the have's. Admittedly, as a non-native Minnesotan, I know almost nothing about hockey.

I also echo the sentiment that winning a Rose Bowl would be the perfect season for me as a Gophers fan.

the Twins have done it since I have been born. I'll bet on the Twins. Oh yea and Gopher Hockey!

My order is this:
1A and 1B - The Twins and Vikings. Both of these teams are consistently competitive with other teams in their league. They do have down seasons, but more times than not it seems like more times than not they are in the runnings for the playoffs.

2. Gopher Basketball - Again in my lifetime I have seen the Gophers in the Elite 8 and he Final 4. That is enough to show me that their could be a run some year.

3. Gopher Football - What do we consider a championship? We have been Bowl Champions. I do agree with the poster above, a Rose Bowl would be just as sweet as the National Championship. To be perfectly honest I would be a little disappointed to be Iowa (insert joke here), but to have a such a great season and make it to a BCS bowl game, but not to Pasadena. The Rose Bowl would be sweet.

4. Timberwolves - Blah

I am a Minnesota native and I do not care about hockey at all.

If the Twins or Vikings would just get out of their own way, they probably both could have done it in the last four years. The Twins through some iffy decision making on players, and the Vikings, well, we all saw it Sunday lol. I voted Twins since they've done it within my lifetime.

Anything can happen long term, so I voted for the short term and the Vikings have the best chance to win a Championship in the next few years. Even if Favre isn't back next year, he taught the team how to win. The Twins would be second. They are very well coached and get the most out of their players, but they never seem to improve the talent as much as other teams in the division.

The Vikings best window just slammed shut while there was 12 men in the huddle. The Twins have a chance in the next 3-4 years if the Yankees can be stopped from buying the next few World Series.

If we get Cory Joseph, Royce and Mbakwe back, I wouldn't put it past Tubby to make a very deep run next year or the year after. But it's awfully tough to win 6 games in a row in March no matter how good you are.

The Wild SHOULD be able to compete at the top of the NHL every year, but they don't spend like the top 10 revenue team that they are.

I hope it's Gopher Basketball or Gopher Football. I really believe the negative attitude that it "can't" happen really is a self fulfilling prophecy. Who would have ever thought that UCONN would win national titles in basketball before it happened? Iowa in two BCS games in the last decade? Northwestern winning the Big Ten twice? Kansas and Missouri having big years in Football? Florida State and Miami slipping to mediocrity in football?

So much of this is tied up in the future of the NFL. If it moves away from revenue sharing and salary caps and floors, the NFC North is headed for some pretty bleak times. Further with the stadium issue looming, I for one, wouldn't be betting my home against the Vikings being in town within five years.

One would think the Wild would have the best shot, yet in their first decade they made only one serious playoff showing.

Can the Twins do it again? That will be largely a product of their willingness to spend.

As toward our beloved Gopher squads... I really would love it if both squads gave me hope for consistent conference champion contender status first before we go and start dreaming of making huge waves on national scenes.

If I have to pick one? Wild nose out the Twins, barely. The Twins will make a great go of it in the next couple of years, before ownerships reluctance to spend money drives us through a long rebuilding cycle. The Wild could gel and make a run in a couple of years down the line under new leadership. Further they play in system where over half of the teams are in the playoff pool, which does great things for ones odds.

The Gophers have already won several National Football Championships. The " Little Darlings" will be gone in 10 years and the city of Minneapolis will scrambling to fill that erector set of a football stadium they're building. The Twins will continue to struggle if the Pohlads don't sell. They refuse to spend a buck to put other then a triple A A A
team on the field. Twins fans will continue coming to Target Field like sheep following the good Shepard. Kill and the
Gophers will have played in one Rose Bowl and 3 other BCS Champio nship game series. Pitino will get us to two Final Fours and get us our first B1G Title since 1981. Lucia will coach another 5 years and get us too one Frozen Four. The Wild will play in a Stanley Cup.final because they're willing to spend the money for players. Flip has his run at GM and they will win a divisional title or two, but no NBA title. The teams of destiny? Gopher Women Sports. The
pucksters will win an additional 5 National titles. Pam Borton is done after two more years and the Gophers bring in
Lindsey Whalen. In an 8 year span she leads the ladies to 3 B1G titles and one Final 4. The Volleyball team wins two
B1G titles and gets a Final Four win. Guy's, I saw all of this in the bottom of a ice fishing hole in the way the crystals
were forming in 25 below weather. It was mesmerizing! There is your 10 year prediction IMHO.

The Gophers have already won several National Football Championships. The " Little Darlings" will be gone in 10 years and the city of Minneapolis will scrambling to fill that erector set of a football stadium they're building. The Twins will continue to struggle if the Pohlads don't sell. They refuse to spend a buck to put other then a triple A A A
team on the field. Twins fans will continue coming to Target Field like sheep following the good Shepard. Kill and the
Gophers will have played in one Rose Bowl and 3 other BCS Champio nship game series. Pitino will get us to two Final Fours and get us our first B1G Title since 1981. Lucia will coach another 5 years and get us too one Frozen Four. The Wild will play in a Stanley Cup.final because they're willing to spend the money for players. Flip has his run at GM and they will win a divisional title or two, but no NBA title. The teams of destiny? Gopher Women Sports. The
pucksters will win an additional 5 National titles. Pam Borton is done after two more years and the Gophers bring in
Lindsey Whalen. In an 8 year span she leads the ladies to 3 B1G titles and one Final 4. The Volleyball team wins two
B1G titles and gets a Final Four win. Guy's, I saw all of this in the bottom of a ice fishing hole in the way the crystals
were forming in 25 below weather. It was mesmerizing! There is your 10 year prediction IMHO.

Queue Queen's We Are The Champions.

With the structure of the NFL, the Viking would be my choice. They could turn it around and be in the title game in 2014 or 2015 even realistically. All of the other choices are a much tougher and longer road, not that they could not happen. I think Gopher Basketball and the Wild would be my 2nd and 3rd choices, as both have been near the top before.

I think Gopher Basketball and the Wild would be my 2nd and 3rd choices, as both have been near the top before.

This seems to be a strange rationale as the Twins, Gopher football, and Wolves have all been closer to the top than either Gopher basketball or the Wild.

Didn't look at date, so I thought this was a new thread - then I realized it was an old thread that someone bumped up.

Given the choice, I would have voted "none of the above," but forced to make a choice, I went with the Twins. They have some legitimate prospects coming up in the next few years, so they are probably the closest to being a title contender. Vikes have major rebuilding project ahead; Wolves are a mess; Wild can't score goals; and as far as the Gophs, I just can't see either team winning a Nat'l title - unless Pitino is the greatest recruiter of all time and can bring in a Kentucky-like class. Basketball is the one sport that can turn around in a hurry if you can recruit 3 or 4 really good kids. FB is the hardest to upgrade roster because you need more people. Even a top-20 recruiting class would not necessarily push the Gophs into the upper echelon - unless they could put together back-to-back top-20 classes - and given the history of the program, that's a lot to ask for.

Top Bottom