Tubby's comments on Nolen

Reserve

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm reading too much into this but am I reading too much into this?

What exactly does this mean?

Smith said that he would hope Nolen would continue to pursue a degree and stay in school for his final season, assuming he is eligible.

There's a bit too much room here for speculation for me.

IS Al coming back next year? Does this read to anyone else that it left the door open for Nolen to be done as a Gopher?

Don't slam me about this. I know it's only one little comment.

I read it that way. Maybe his issues are so problematic that he will not return.Hate to lose his defense and I hope he gets a degree, but that would open up another spot on the team. I hope they have another PG they are hoping to get if CJOE goes to texas.

???

There's a bit too much room here for speculation for me.

IS Al coming back next year? Does this read to anyone else that it left the door open for Nolen to be done as a Gopher?

Don't slam me about this. I know it's only one little comment.

Yes, I saw that and was rather surprised. Al has two years under his belt so it would seem hard to figure why he could not regain his eligibility by next fall.

I sure hope he works it all out.

:confused:

I just read it as he hopes he sticks with his classes and makes the progress up to rejoin the team. Seeing Al at the game is a good sign.

I saw that as well. I thought it was an odd statement especially since they were trying to appeal the suspension. One would have to think because of the efforts they made to keep him eligible that they expect him to be back. I dunno. It could have been a context thing but Tubby seemed to send out a mixed signal.

Guessing At Translation

Nolen flunked out. If appeal is unsuccessful, he'll have to reapply. JUST GUESSING at that.

Tubby may be trying to give him an clear choice, either get your grades up or get out. The time is NOW and last semester was your one wake-up call. If I am Tubby, obviously better to know now than later.

(long time lurker, first time poster)

I'm a student at the U, and I know the policy (athlete or not) is that one cannot be kicked out automatically due to one bad semester. If Al did not pull a 2.0 GPA in the fall, he would be placed on academic probation, but he would still be allowed (automatically, no strings pulled by anyone) to come back for the spring. If he were not to get a 2.0 this spring, he would not be welcomed back to the institution. If he had flunked out, he would not be in classes right now and would have no way to reestablish his eligibility (athletically) for fall.

My guess is that Tubby was empathizing with the mental toll Al's family issues have taken, which are no doubt compounded by his having to face sitting out half a season and having this all be very public. I don't think the expectation is that Al would not be back, it's more a understanding that he's in a very difficult situation and the staff has not given up on him.

(long time lurker, first time poster)

I'm a student at the U, and I know the policy (athlete or not) is that one cannot be kicked out automatically due to one bad semester. If Al did not pull a 2.0 GPA in the fall, he would be placed on academic probation, but he would still be allowed (automatically, no strings pulled by anyone) to come back for the spring. If he were not to get a 2.0 this spring, he would not be welcomed back to the institution. If he had flunked out, he would not be in classes right now and would have no way to reestablish his eligibility (athletically) for fall.

My guess is that Tubby was empathizing with the mental toll Al's family issues have taken, which are no doubt compounded by his having to face sitting out half a season and having this all be very public. I don't think the expectation is that Al would not be back, it's more a understanding that he's in a very difficult situation and the staff has not given up on him.
Thanks for the post and the info, panndder. I agree.
I think Tubby is simply stating the obvious that Al needs to get things in order to have eligibility both for school and basketball next year. Many athletes lapse in school when they are done with playing. This is one of the problems schools have with their graduation rates. CMIIR, but I believe Grier simply left after the end of the basketball season, not completing a degree or even the academic year. Tubby is acknowledging Al has a choice to make. The fact he was at the game as one of our suits suggests to me that he's committed.

"Smith said that he would hope Nolen would continue to pursue a degree and stay in school for his final season, assuming he is eligible."

Yep, you are reading too much into it. It means what it says -- Tubby hopes that Nolen does well in school.

There is a good chance we see Al on the court again soon.

Top Bottom