Tubby and the Refs

rrjackIII

Reaction score
Great game yesterday - tough loss. The positives of having Tubby as coach are just too many to mention.

Just a couple observations on room for improvement - these have been mentioned in other threads.

Substitution pattern has gotten some deserved criticism in the past and yesterday seemed to be an improvement.

Perimeter offense slowdown with a lead needs to be reevaluated.

Last shot diagraming and timing needs to improve.

From my TV viewing yesterday the one area that I think Tubby has to work on the most - he has to stop being such a nice guy to the refs. He is a very classy guy and he has a lot of respect for the game and refs are an important and dedicated part of the game. He knows that and he gives the refs a lot of deserved respect. He should tweak that respect a little with an increased effort to 'work the refs'. Izzo was constantly in their ear during the game - and he shows them respect as well. He does not try to show them up or make them look bad but he definitely 'works them'.

I seldom think the refs determine the outcome of a game - maybe 99 out of a hundred are not decided by refs imo - but they can be worked like a conductor leading an orchestra.

Early in the game I remember Blake protesting a foul call and throwing his hands up in the air. Tubby threw his outstretched hands and looked puzzled at the ref. Can't he call the ref over and ask for a better explanation of the call, perhaps demonstrate a couple foul moves for the ref and plead his case. Like I say Refs seldom determine a game and I think MSU deserved to win but in looking at the replay of the last play of the game Westbrook and Sampson got mauled on the play and no call was made. The announcers seemed a little shocked by all the contact as well.

Like others say 'In Tubby I trust'. Just - work the refs a little more.

I agree with that. Izzo is just constantly, right or wrong, complaining to the refs. And unfortunately, because of that, he gets the calls at the end of the game, even on the road.

Like others say 'In Tubby I trust'. Just - work the refs a little more.

I remember Tubby got T'd in his first season against, I think, at Michigan State. Personally, I'd like to see him get tossed. I want a Ron Gardenhire, throwing his coat, in the refs face, going ballistic, type of outburst from him. But, thats just me. I do think however it would fire up the team occasionally.

I remember Tubby got T'd in his first season against, I think, at Michigan State. Personally, I'd like to see him get tossed. I want a Ron Gardenhire, throwing his coat, in the refs face, going ballistic, type of outburst from him. But, thats just me. I do think however it would fire up the team occasionally.

Tubby's "T" was at Ohio State when a Buckeye literally tackled Travis Busch and good old Zelton Steed (one of the worst refs out there) calls Busch for traveling. Tubby went nuts and got T'd up.

I totally agree he needs to work it. I mean if I was the ref and he threw me a Tubby Stare or two during a game, I know I'd give him a call or two!!

Top Bottom