Tubby sux

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
Tubby has yet to win a game that matters. For all those brew bashers I would say they are more than even......

Yes I wrote this last night when I was dejected and in a bad state of mind. He doesn't suck and I apologize for my rant.

I thought the Butler game was a good one and so was OSU at home this year. Also Wisky at home last year was a must win.

We tend to remember the ones that got away a lot more than the ones we get.

But, no question, this season is not good, and Tubby deserves heat for that.

I thought the Butler game was a good one and so was OSU at home this year. Also Wisky at home last year was a must win. There were 3-4 must win games last year we got to make the NCAA's.

We tend to remember the ones that got away a lot more than the ones we get.

But, no question, this season is not good, and Tubby deserves heat for that.

I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion.

No doubt. The ticket frenzy and Tubby for Governor love will be all the more humorous next year, if he can get Royce, Mbwake, and even Little Joseph in uniform.

I'm bullish on the Tubby's Gophers for the long haul, and kodiak on the team GOGophers' guy handles as long as he's in the captain's chair.

Tubby had a solid game plan. He is short his 2 stud recruits and playing with a short bench. The team ran out of gas. No heat on Tubby needed. I hope you all LOVE the NIT!

Another intellegent poster. How many 20+ win seasons does he have?

What can you do about the dejected football fans...

Tubby has yet to win a game that matters. For all those brew bashers I would say they are more than even......

Was beating WI at the Kohl Center not a game that mattered? We were borderline for getting into the tourney, not to mention they're our biggest rival, and Bo Ryan is 130-10 in his 9 years at the Kohl Center. Not a big win for you, huh?

Was beating WI at the Kohl Center not a game that mattered? We were borderline for getting into the tourney, not to mention they're our biggest rival, and Bo Ryan is 130-10 in his 9 years at the Kohl Center. Not a big win for you, huh?

There is some truth to Coach Smith not winning many big games, other than the win you noted and the Louisville win. He's pretty much been consistent beating the lower level conference teams, winning enough of the middle of road teams, and losing to the powers.

We'll see. This has been a snake-bitten season. I'm concerned going forward if Royce, Mbwake, and Cory Joseph aren't Gophers next year. Confident if two of them are.

A real test will be the upcoming recruiting season. The local scene will fail to produce a 4 or 5* guy for the second year in a row. That puts a lot of pressure on the staff to recruit star players nationally. UCLA, Kansas, UNC, and Duke can do it year in and year out, but that's about it.

Another intellegent poster. How many 20+ win seasons does he have?

Considering most Div 1 teams will play close to 30 games a year, winning 20 doesn't
mean what it used to. About 66 percent.

Kinda like a football team going to a bowl with a 6-6 record.
They can say they went to a bowl but there are so many bowls and so
many teams going to one that it doesn't have the glory it used to have.

There is some truth to Coach Smith not winning many big games, other than the win you noted and the Louisville win. He's pretty much been consistent beating the lower level conference teams, winning enough of the middle of road teams, and losing to the powers.

I don't disagree with your statement, just this one:
Tubby has yet to win a game that matters

We haven't had a lot of upsets or huge wins, but to say we haven't had any is ridiculous.

Some of these "anti tubby" posts were probably written by guys who loved the Monson Era. Tubby had a good game plan and it kept us in the game. Its what coaches do with Mediocre talent (getting the best out of his talent) that is the sign of a good coach, and Tubby mostly has mediocre talent. He has this team competitive and we all expect them to win 20 and are disappointed if we don't. Hats off to Tubby for setting the bar high, that says something about a coach. We likely won't make it this year and I'm sure Tubby will be more "ticked" then we will be and will make adjustments in the off season if he can. Unless he leaves for a better program like DePaul or somewhere else that might be courting him.

" Unless he leaves for a better program like DePaul or somewhere else that might be courting him "

I would be stunned if Tubby ever left Minn. He is now in his late 50's and just now getting to
where he will have a roster that is fully his. Money is not the issue. While he has improved Minn
since he got here, he has not really got it to where the fans and him want it to be.
What would be the attraction of going to another school that is having a tough time in basketball
and starting over yet again ?
Tubby left KY due to pressure to win. I don't see him taking another job that would put him back in
that type of situation. I believe that Tubby likes Minn and the fans. I would fully expect that Tubby
will finish out his coaching career with the Gophers.

" Unless he leaves for a better program like DePaul or somewhere else that might be courting him "

I would be stunned if Tubby ever left Minn. He is now in his late 50's and just now getting to
where he will have a roster that is fully his. Money is not the issue. While he has improved Minn
since he got here, he has not really got it to where the fans and him want it to be.
What would be the attraction of going to another school that is having a tough time in basketball
and starting over yet again ?
Tubby left KY due to pressure to win. I don't see him taking another job that would put him back in
that type of situation. I believe that Tubby likes Minn and the fans. I would fully expect that Tubby
will finish out his coaching career with the Gophers.

There have just been some rumors lately that some schools are courting Tubby, like Depaul. I doubt he would go for many of the reasons you stated and who knows the validity of those rumors. That being said, he might be frustrated with the administration here, he might want to set his son Saul up with a future head coaching job, and some of his prized recruits might be standouts in the Big House and not in the Big 10, if you catch my drift.

and some of his prized recruits might be standouts in the Big House and not in the Big 10, if you catch my drift.

Where did you people(or potentially person) come from? I'll admit that one made me laugh out load.

nugget...
"Considering most Div 1 teams will play close to 30 games a year, winning 20 doesn't mean what it used to. About 66 percent."

That is still the benchmark, so the question is still relavent.

There have just been some rumors lately that some schools are courting Tubby, like Depaul.

You're like a broken record on this. Why don't you give it a rest? You're obviously doing it for a reason that I have yet to uncover.

Tubby has completed one part of his job. Taking our team to a level of significance.

Tubby has improved our players on the team in terms of building a quality bench. Every scholarship player on this team would be a D1 player somewhere. Today was a good example. Our starting PG went down, and we had the opportunity to win big against a top 10 team.

More often than not our team plays very good defense. Good enough to win most games.

Now the other side....

I refuse to consider a 20 win season as any level of significance because any true Gopher fan knows our schedule is padded with cupcakes. This is partially or completely because of Tubby. If he is going to have a schedule like this we cannot lose games like we did today and we can't lose games like we did against Indiana.

This team was a NCAA tourney team last year. We have not improved, maybe regressed. No excuses. When you are paid what Tubby is being paid.... not being in the NCAA year three is inexcusable.

We haven't recruited another solid PG. We had to play a combo guard the whole game because our only other PG candidate was not to be trusted.

We haven't recruited a star that has came in AND PLAYED and instantly become a star for this team. I don't think this that big of a deal, but I know everyone expected a coach of Tubby's caliber to do that.

I blame Mbakwe, Royce, and Nolen partially on Tubby and his staff. Anyone one of these situations is somewhat normal, but all three together in the same year points to bad decisions from the coaching staff.

Our whole offensive scheme is generally a joke. This doesn't even need to be discussed.

The future....

Next year we win. The next year we win. Everything is all cool.

But... taking what we have this year and looking at what next could be... what we are losing... there are no guarantees we will be a better team.

I am not really a big Tubby fan. I haven't enjoyed watching this team very much over the past two years, even though we had a couple of big wins last year. Even though we won the Wisconsin game, it was in typically Tubby fashion. The game is hard to watch, some player goes crazy offensively late in the game. We win.

This and your post before were surprisingly decent posts until you ruined them with your last line. There is no truth to that Depaul crap you're trying to start with your "inside" source. Maybe you heard that Depaul would be interested in looking at him. That's like how the U was interested in getting Dungy. It means nothing. There was actually probably a better shot of us getting Dungy since he went to MN. I don't see why you think Depaul is such an appealing job for him. And look at Tubby's track record, you really think he'd leave the program already?

Some of these "anti tubby" posts were probably written by guys who loved the Monson Era. Tubby had a good game plan and it kept us in the game. Its what coaches do with Mediocre talent (getting the best out of his talent) that is the sign of a good coach, and Tubby mostly has mediocre talent. He has this team competitive and we all expect them to win 20 and are disappointed if we don't. Hats off to Tubby for setting the bar high, that says something about a coach. We likely won't make it this year and I'm sure Tubby will be more "ticked" then we will be and will make adjustments in the off season if he can. Unless he leaves for a better program like DePaul or somewhere else that might be courting him.

This and your post before were surprisingly decent posts until you ruined them with your last line. There is no truth to that Depaul crap you're trying to start with your "inside" source. Maybe you heard that Depaul would be interested in looking at him. That's like how the U was interested in getting Dungy. It means nothing. There was actually probably a better shot of us getting Dungy since he went to MN. I don't see why you think Depaul is such an appealing job for him. And look at Tubby's track record, you really think he'd leave the program already?

Underground, You make very good points here and the DePaul job is just a rumor just as the Dungy thing was a rumor. But I would not be surprised if Dungy would not end up coaching U of MN football here at some point, due to the reasons you laid out, So how Far fetched might that rumor be? The same may be true for the Depaul thing. For the record, I have never given the Depaul rumor more then 30% credibility and have always stated it is very unlikely and DePaul is the one trying to pursuit Tubby and not the other way around. My fear is Tubby will get sick of the rigamarole he has experienced here and move along, Depaul being one of many options open to him. I agree, overall it probably means nothing.

missing lay-up and more: ""My fear is Tubby will get sick of the rigamarole he has experienced here and move along...""

Tubby Smith became a successful coach by patiently following his philosophy of life which means using his influence to patiently build contributing members of society when the youngsters need guidance and mentoring.

Tubby and Donna Smith have that opportunity at the University of Minnesota. They will NOT bail out.

Go Gophers!

missing lay-up and more: ""My fear is Tubby will get sick of the rigamarole he has experienced here and move along...""

Tubby Smith became a successful coach by patiently following his philosophy of life which means using his influence to patiently build contributing members of society when the youngsters need guidance and mentoring.

Tubby and Donna Smith have that opportunity at the University of Minnesota. They will NOT bail out.

Go Gophers!

I hope you are right. I like Tubby and think he is on the right track.

I think he is definately right on track, building depth, players are improving, and the team is improving.

From a purely technical standpoint I think they double down on defense to much at times. But if you are playing a pressure defense that is what you do. Sometimes you win because of it and sometimes it goes the other way.

Top Bottom