Cory Joseph write-up

Mikie S

Reaction score
From one of my favorite sites ... DraftExpress.com:

2010 HoopHall Classic: Top Prospects
January 20, 2010
Joseph Treutlein

Skyrocketing up the 2010 point guard and overall rankings in the past year, Cory Joseph (#22 Scout, #7 Rivals, #30 ESPN) just continues to play better and better, showing off his extremely advanced skill level and feel for the game.

Joseph came out the gates extremely aggressive in this game, over-dribbling the ball on nearly every play and either attacking the basket or giving the ball up at the last second. While it didn’t look pretty to start, the results were undeniable, as he scored at will over and around opponents, showing off incredible body control and touch in the lane, scoring on all kinds of moves, be it floaters, reverse lay-ups, spin drives, or pull-up shots. He’s incredibly smooth with the ball in his hands, can hit pull-up jumpers going left or right, has range to the three-point line and then some, and can finish with either hand at the basket. From a pure skills standpoint, there’s nothing Cory Joseph doesn’t have.

As a point guard, some questions can certainly be made about Joseph’s approach, as he’s clearly a shoot-first type player who loves having the ball in his hands, but it’s hard to argue with the results, as Findlay has only lost one game in the past two seasons. Projecting to the next level, as long as Joseph adjusts to a more balanced offense in terms of touches, he should be an exceptionally good college player, though there are still some questions about how his physical tools will allow him to project to the NBA level. Regardless, it’s early in his development, so it’s tough to say anything finite on that front just yet.

Skyrocket

I hope he skyrockets into the Barn!

Joseph & Joseph in our backcourt sounds pretty good to me!

I hope he watched Devoe have a great game at a charged up Willum Arena today.

Thanks for the link.

Will the recent Myck Kabongo commitment to Texas have any affect on Cory's decision? I don't know if it's more PG competition or more attractive as long time friends playing together.

I'm pretty sure he has been committed there for quite a while now, but I would doubt that it has any real effect on his decision. I don't have any inside knowledge, but I would have to guess Devoe would trump Myck if Cory is going to make a decision based off of personal relationships with players.

Will the recent Myck Kabongo commitment to Texas have any affect on Cory's decision? I don't know if it's more PG competition or more attractive as long time friends playing together.

Earlier today Myck (who is at St. Ben's) hit a huge game winning layup to beat St. Pat's 65-64. He is an absolute stud, but one year younger than Cory (i.e., 2011). Kabongo didn't commit recently - he did so as a sophomore more than a year ago, on the day he turned 16.

Kabongo and Tristan Thompson (big man), who both play with Cory in AAU ball, are Texas commits. TT also plays with Cory at Findlay.

Don't get me wrong, Cory is great and a 2010, but if I was a coach and you told me, 'you can have Cory or Myck, pick one,...I'd take Kabongo. If I was Cory, the fact that Kabongo is a 2011 guy coming to Texas would be HUGE in my decision.

Grassroots AAU has a fine history of producing great ballplayers.. maybe I'll post more tomorrow on this, but one freshman is another point guard, Junior Cadougan, who made his collegiate debut this afternoon at #5 Syracuse.

Anyway, the summary is:
98VQueens: The Myck Kabongo commit happens long, long ago, and it has to be a significant factor in Cory's decision.. but, Texas is still there in the final five. The thing to remember is TT will be there next year, Myck will not. Sometimes kids have thoughts of, "well, I'll only be there a year or two anyway"... and are able to block out the 'woah, my boy that is crazy good is joining the program in 2011... my minutes may be affected' thoughts. Obviously that commitment hasn't been enough to remove Texas from the final five.

GophersOnTheRise: Never know with the brother relationships, how the family works, etc.. TT and Myck are both teammates of Cory, TT both in prep school and AAU.

Section201: True, they are not lacking in guards and probably never will be. From Minnesota's perspective, I think part of the sell (in Cory's mind) may have to be, "you will run this offense for however many years you're in college.. we're not going to recruit over you, you are our guy." The negative recruiting could be, "Calhoun will be gone before you set foot on campus.. "..."Texas already has a guy to take over your spot in 2011"... but, we'd never recruit that way. And stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, should also point out Avery Bradley is playing 27 minutes per game for the Longhorns this year as a freshman... last year he was at... Findlay.

Top Bottom