Manny Harris suspended

Beilein shows himself to be a ethical coach concerned with the development of his players and team. Or Manny is just being Manny.

Michigan has a player that shows poor judgment during practice and he is suspended. Illinois has a player that is caught stealing stereo equipment and he is kicked off the team for good. The Gophers have a player that has committed crimes all over town and has ignored U of M rules and policies with impunity and GopherHolers think he is being mistreated. After all, we can't hold our players accountable for their actions because the Gophers are trying to win the Big 10. The hypocrisy that exists on this board is pathetic.

Michigan has a player that shows poor judgment during practice and he is suspended. Illinois has a player that is caught stealing stereo equipment and he is kicked off the team for good. The Gophers have a player that has committed crimes all over town and has ignored U of M rules and policies with impunity and GopherHolers think he is being mistreated. After all, we can't hold our players accountable for their actions because the Gophers are trying to win the Big 10. The hypocrisy that exists on this board is pathetic.

I agree about the hypocrisy, but only on the part of a few posters here. As far as the University officials go, lets keep in mind that neither White or Mbakwe have played a single game this year. So the university knows how to treat rules offenders even if some posters don't. Harris will probably be back soon and who knows how many chances the Illinois player recieved.

Nope

Nope. RW has not been convicted of any crimes. The MOA thing was a petty misdemeanor and is not in legal terms a crime.

As for impunity, he has not played 1 minute this season and I personally do not think he will.

I for one am ok with him redshirting this season.

Nope. RW has not been convicted of any crimes. The MOA thing was a petty misdemeanor and is not in legal terms a crime.

That is completely false. Related to the 'MOA thing', Royce White was in fact convicted of a crime. I'm far more concerned about the totality of his actions and overall attitude (including everything from being kicked out of a dorm to crying about him leaving college basketball on YouTube) than the one criminal conviction to date, but still I will correct you on the misinformation you're trying to spread.

Royce was convicted on two counts - one, a petty misdemeanor for theft under Statute 609.52.2(1), which is not technically a 'crime' because it is a petty misdemeanor, and two, a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct under Statue 609.72.1, which is most certainly a crime.

gw

That is completely false. Related to the 'MOA thing', Royce White was in fact convicted of a crime. I'm far more concerned about the totality of his actions and overall attitude (including everything from being kicked out of a dorm to crying about him leaving college basketball on YouTube) than the one criminal conviction to date, but still I will correct you on the misinformation you're trying to spread.

Royce was convicted on two counts - one, a petty misdemeanor for theft under Statute 609.52.2(1), which is not technically a 'crime' because it is a petty misdemeanor, and two, a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct under Statue 609.72.1, which is most certainly a crime.

That isn't quite how I remember the disposition. Do you have a link for the disposition?

I recall either both counts being a petty or the disorderly was stayed, or something or other.

The only link I have on hand is the definitions of various misdemeanors:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.02

petty defined as: Subd. 4a.Petty misdemeanor."Petty misdemeanor" means a petty offense which is prohibited by statute, which does not constitute a crime and for which a sentence of a fine of not more than $300 may be imposed.

That isn't quite how I remember the disposition. Do you have a link for the disposition?

I recall either both counts being a petty or the disorderly was stayed, or something or other.

The only link I have on hand is the definitions of various misdemeanors:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.02

petty defined as: Subd. 4a.Petty misdemeanor."Petty misdemeanor" means a petty offense which is prohibited by statute, which does not constitute a crime and for which a sentence of a fine of not more than $300 may be imposed.

I understand your confusion: there was a stay of imposition on the sentencing for the disorderly - this is a frequent occurrence and essentially means that if for an X period of time, the convicted party does not do Y, then there will be no execution of a sentence. In other words, White plead guilty to a misdemeanor crime, but the courts did not execute a sentence and will not execute a sentence unless Y occurs.

Royce White most certainly has been convicted of a crime. What has been stayed is the execution of a sentence.

gw

gw. I am in no way trying to minimize what RW had done. I am not one clamoring for him to play this season. I found the disposition and it seems you are correct and I stand corrected, AGAIN.

Now I am not a lawyer but doesnt the 'stay of imposition" mean after a year of good behavior the misdemeanor is off his record? The disorderly was a misdemeanor for which he paid a $300 fine and is on probation for 1 year with a stay of imposition.

http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1613138676

12/02/2009 Stay of Imposition Pursuant to M.S. 609.135 (Judicial Officer: McShane, John Q.)

1. Disorderly Conduct
10/13/2009 (MSD) 609.72.1 (609721)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition - Adult:
1. No same or similar, 12/02/2009, Active 12/02/2009
2. No theft, 12/02/2009, Active 12/02/2009
3. Comply With Geographic Restrictions Imposed, stay away from Mall of America 12/02/2009, Active 12/02/2009

Fee Totals:

Due 01/02/2010

Prosecution Costs/Bloomington $300.00
Fee Totals $ $300.00

Probation - Adult:
Type: Probation to the Court
Agency: Hennepin District Court
Term of 1 Yr
12/02/2009 - 12/02/2010

Level of Sentence:
Convicted of a Misdemeanor

gw. I am in no way trying to minimize what RW had done. I am not one clamoring for him to play this season. I found the disposition and it seems you are correct and I stand corrected, AGAIN.

Now I am not a lawyer but doesnt the 'stay of imposition" mean after a year of good behavior the misdemeanor is off his record? The disorderly was a misdemeanor for which he paid a $300 fine and is on probation for 1 year with a stay of imposition.

Not exactly, but close. Quickly we're reaching an area where I'm somewhat ignorant. It starts to get down to semantics fairly quickly and I was just trying to point out that he was convicted of a 'crime'. A 'stay of imposition' can vary (i.e., not necessarily one year of no same or similar, or 'good behavior'). In this case, I believe technically the matter and the results thus far (i.e., guilty plea, conviction) doesn't go 'off his record' (i.e., not wiped clean - if someone looks up his records it may show up), but from the court's perspective, it's 'gone'. However, a judge wouldn't consider it a previous conviction after it's 'gone'...

I could be off a bit on the awful description I attempted above. I blame it on the fact that the Gophers and Marquette both lost today.

gw

I understand your confusion: there was a stay of imposition on the sentencing for the disorderly - this is a frequent occurrence and essentially means that if for an X period of time, the convicted party does not do Y, then there will be no execution of a sentence. In other words, White plead guilty to a misdemeanor crime, but the courts did not execute a sentence and will not execute a sentence unless Y occurs.

Royce White most certainly has been convicted of a crime. What has been stayed is the execution of a sentence.

Gw, I just saw this explanation after I posted the disposition link, etc. It was not my intent to disseminate incorrect info and I thank you for the clarification and correction.

gw

Not exactly, but close. Quickly we're reaching an area where I'm somewhat ignorant. It starts to get down to semantics fairly quickly and I was just trying to point out that he was convicted of a 'crime'. A 'stay of imposition' can vary (i.e., not necessarily one year of no same or similar, or 'good behavior'). In this case, I believe technically the matter and the results thus far (i.e., guilty plea, conviction) doesn't go 'off his record' (i.e., not wiped clean - if someone looks up his records it may show up), but from the court's perspective, it's 'gone'. However, a judge wouldn't consider it a previous conviction after it's 'gone'...

I could be off a bit on the awful description I attempted above. I blame it on the fact that the Gophers and Marquette both lost today.

I appreciate your input on this. Thank you.

Sorry about Marquette. I feel bad enough just caring about the Gophers!

I get a kick out of all you self important and self riotous people on this board. The MOA deal, yes white paid his dues and his fine. The tressssspassing charges? Pleaseee....have you ever been in school? Those are like a j-walking charge. Get real. You may be correct on the letter of the law, but totally wrong when it comes to the spirit of the law. These were charges clearly made to save face for the police. He did NOT steal a LAPTOP. Now, does the University have a moral obligation to do all they can to try to steer some of these kids? Don't you all want to see this kid come around and become a great citizen? Isn't that part of the Moral obligation of someone like Tubby when he signs a kid , who by the way has a solid track record with kids like white, supposed to do? Do you believe in discarding kids because they don't think like you, made a few mistakes or is maybe a different color? In your mind he should be expelled? Who are you to throw stones? Does it make you feel good? Does it make your little insecure mind feel superior that you have the Moral high ground? Can't we agree in the 3-strike rule?

Look in the Mirror before you throw too many stones.
You have no heart my friend and you soon may find yourself in a situation like White, needing the benefit of the doubt and a second chance.

Pay it forward, you will be a much happier person!

I get a kick out of all you self important and self riotous people on this board. The MOA deal, yes white paid his dues and his fine. The tressssspassing charges? Pleaseee....have you ever been in school? Those are like a j-walking charge. Get real. You may be correct on the letter of the law, but totally wrong when it comes to the spirit of the law. These were charges clearly made to save face for the police. He did NOT steal a LAPTOP. Now, does the University have a moral obligation to do all they can to try to steer some of these kids? Don't you all want to see this kid come around and become a great citizen? Isn't that part of the Moral obligation of someone like Tubby when he signs a kid , who by the way has a solid track record with kids like white, supposed to do? Do you believe in discarding kids because they don't think like you, made a few mistakes or is maybe a different color? In your mind he should be expelled? Who are you to throw stones? Does it make you feel good? Does it make your little insecure mind feel superior that you have the Moral high ground? Can't we agree in the 3-strike rule?

Look in the Mirror before you throw too many stones.
You have no heart my friend and you soon may find yourself in a situation like White, needing the benefit of the doubt and a second chance.

Pay it forward, you will be a much happier person!

You need to get me the name of your dealer. He clearly has 'some of that good sheeeeeeeit'. Self-riotous, I like that one especially.

I get a kick out of all you self important and self riotous people on this board.

Hilarious...:clap:...Are self-riotous people more likely than others to burn couches and throw rocks?

I was in downtown St. Paul a year and a half ago, during the Republican National Convention. I think I saw a few 'self-riotous' people down there.:eek:

Hilarious...:clap:...Are self-riotous people more likely than others to burn couches and throw rocks?

I was in downtown St. Paul a year and a half ago, during the Republican National Convention. I think I saw a few 'self-riotous' people down there.:eek:

Drinking riot juice will make one self-riotous

Top Bottom