Kudos To Devoe Joseph

Section201

Reaction score
On the upside of a horribly heartbreaking loss I have to say congrats to Devoe who given a start against a top ranked team played pretty darn well. He gathered up a very nice stat line.

36 minutes
6-10 from the field
2-4 from the 3 point line
2-2 from the charity stripe
3 rebounds
7 assists
1 turnover
16 points

Great game Devoe ! :clap::clap::clap:

Other Gophers played pretty well too but unfortunately we collectively lost the last five minutes to a team that knows how to win.

Northwestern at the Barn Tuesday and then another "opportunity" for the Gophers next Sunday at Ohio State.

Go Gophers.

On the upside of a horribly heartbreaking loss I have to say congrats to Devoe who given a start against a top ranked team played pretty darn well. He gathered up a very nice stat line.

36 minutes
6-10 from the field
3 rebounds
7 assists
1 turnover
16 points

Other Gophers played pretty well too but unfortunately we collectively lost the last five minutes to a team that knows how to win.

Northwestern at the Barn Tuesday and then another "opportunity" for the Gophers next Sunday at Ohio State.

Go Gophers.

+1

That was the best point guard play the Gophers have had this year ... perhaps a lot longer. Keep it up Devoe, one game does not make you a good PG.

RSIII also had a great game.

Sometimes you play really well, but the other team makes more key plays.

I was very impressed with Devoe today, he had a nice game.

Ralph has some nice moves and cleaned the glass, but where does he go in the second half? Do they not find him or does he just get pushed off the block, up to the elbow? He got some body contact on a couple shots where he came up short, got bumped and coughed up the ball over for an easy lay-up the other way and on the most important play at the end of the game he got knocked on his can.

36 minutes
6-10 from the field
3 rebounds
7 assists
1 turnover
16 points

Go Gophers.

No doubt, excellent game by Devoe.

When Devoe has confidence, I wouldn't want the ball in anyone else's hands. He had a great great day, and I look forward to seeing more of this out of him. Way to take advantage of the opportunity put before you. MSU has fantastic guards, to put together that game today was really impressive. Let's hope your bro saw it too.

Great game by Devoe. MSU shut us down as good teams will do. The future is bright with this kind of play ahead of us.

That was the best point guard play the Gophers have had this year ... perhaps a lot longer. Keep it up Devoe, one game does not make you a good PG.

RSIII also had a great game.

Sometimes you play really well, but the other team makes more key plays.

Certainly Devoe is a better offensive player than Nolen. But, defensively he doesn't keep his hands a busy as Al does.

Yeah, Devoe has been a bright spot. I hope he continues to do well so as to convince the coach and the fans that he is a seviceable PG and may blossom into something more. Having a capable combo guard is a big bonus. We don't have to compare him with Nolen or anyone else. Honestly, if I were Devoe, I would invest more time off-season on PG skills. That would improve his chance at pro ball.

Devoe had a great game, especially offensively. It was amazing how much different we looked on defense with Al. No one could keep the ball in front of them leading to all sorts of frantic shifts and rotation. We were lucky MSU shot poorly in the first half otherwise it may not even been close.

36 minutes
6-10 from the field
3 rebounds
7 assists
1 turnover
16 points

Go Gophers.

Thanks for posting this! I'll admit, I thought Nolen was the worst person to lose at this point in the season, but Devoe certainly proved himself today. Great all-around game, and I'm very proud of him. I hope he can keep this level of play up!

I thought Joseph had a good game for him.

But, I'd point out a couple of things before singing his praises too much:

Kailin Lucas:
Game 1: 3/14 for 14 pts
Game 2: 8/14 for 22 pts

and.. in today's game, Minnesota was up 60-52 with 6 minutes to play. From that point on, Devoe was 0-2 and scored no points. Starting a big game off with a trey is great, but we need the young man (or freaking SOME ONE on this team) to step up when it matters.

I thought Joseph had a good game for him.

But, I'd point out a couple of things before singing his praises too much:

Kailin Lucas:
Game 1: 3/14 for 14 pts
Game 2: 8/14 for 22 pts

and.. in today's game, Minnesota was up 60-52 with 6 minutes to play. From that point on, Devoe was 0-2 and scored no points. Starting a big game off with a trey is great, but we need the young man (or freaking SOME ONE on this team) to step up when it matters.

There's no doubt our perimeter D was horrendous in the 2nd half. I know they shot around 46%, but I want to say in at the end of the 1st half, it was 29%...so that means they almost couldn't miss in the 2nd half. Morgan, Allen and Lucas were all hitting those - and although there's no doubt that we lose a lot of D, and that Joseph and Westbrook need to step theirs up. However, he did have a good game, and he's young and a hard worker. I'm not saying saying he's going to be the greatest PG (or he's even the best on our team), but just that he should be commended for having a good game.

There's no doubt our perimeter D was horrendous in the 2nd half. I know they shot around 46%, but I want to say in at the end of the 1st half, it was 29%...so that means they almost couldn't miss in the 2nd half. Morgan, Allen and Lucas were all hitting those - and although there's no doubt that we lose a lot of D, and that Joseph and Westbrook need to step theirs up. However, he did have a good game, and he's young and a hard worker. I'm not saying saying he's going to be the greatest PG (or he's even the best on our team), but just that he should be commended for having a good game.

MSU shot 39% for the game (46% from 3).. 29% in the first half, 54% in the second. They hit 7/11 for 64% from trey land in the second half, including a couple of big ones from Lucas down the stretch.

I agree - good game from Devoe, but he needs to toughen up a bit and step up in a game like this with his offense. He looked tentative down the stretch. But, overall in Al's absence he helped to get us in a position to have a great chance at victory today.

Hopefully next year Devoe doesn't have to play the point at all due to his brother's arrival!!

I agree for the most part GL, Devoe really stepped up to the plate at the PG today. It helped that Minnesota basically played a match up zone most of the 1st half, so they had the energy to be aggressive on offensive end. It also helped that MSU looked more like PSU in the first half.

Most noteworthy was that Tubby (FOT alert activated) was forced to abandon his beloved wholesale substitution pattern. By doing this, normally streaky shooters (like Devoe), had a chance to actually get into an offensive rhythm. With the three best shooters getting significant, uninterrupted minutes, that's an ideal scenario for someone to get the hot hand.

Fatigue may have played a factor in the 2nd half drop off, but Lucas played 35 minutes, and he got most of his points in the 2nd half down the stretch, on the road.

Let's face it. Good effort by the Gophers but this MSU team has been playing like it's looking for its first loss lately. Big 'almost win' against a mediocre MSU team (at home) is nothing to get too excited about. I'd wait a few games before ordering those NCAA tourney tickets.

Also, the refs really stayed out of the game for the most part allowing the teams to play a pretty fast-paced game. Fun game to watch.

I agree for the most part GL, Devoe really stepped up to the plate at the PG today. It helped that Minnesota basically played a match up zone most of the 1st half, so they had the energy to be aggressive on offensive end. It also helped that MSU looked more like PSU in the first half.

Most noteworthy was that Tubby (FOT alert activated) was forced to abandon his beloved wholesale substitution pattern. By doing this, normally streaky shooters (like Devoe), had a chance to actually get into an offensive rhythm. With the three best shooters getting significant, uninterrupted minutes, that's an ideal scenario for someone to get the hot hand.

Fatigue may have played a factor in the 2nd half drop off, but Lucas played 35 minutes, and he got most of his points in the 2nd half down the stretch, on the road.

Let's face it. Good effort by the Gophers but this MSU team has been playing like it's looking for its first loss lately. Big 'almost win' against a mediocre MSU team (at home) is nothing to get too excited about. I'd wait a few games before ordering those NCAA tourney tickets.

Also, the refs really stayed out of the game for the most part allowing the teams to play a pretty fast-paced game. Fun game to watch.

That is something we noticed right away, we were about 5 minutes into the 1st half, and no subs, LOVED that! If a combination is working, leave them in until they are out of gas. As far as fatigue - I don't really know about that. Tubby said Devoe is in the best shape on the team, and although I can't remember how many games he'd play in a season - but it was a crazy amount. He was not used to getting a lot of rest. I can see our big men needing to sit out more - but guys like Joseph, Westbrook, Hoff, etc - should really be able to play 40 minutes if needed.

Devoe had a hell of a game offensively, but as predicted, he just doesn't have the quickness to stay with someone like Lucas. I can't complain with how he did though. If only we could've subbed Nolen in there to defend Lucas in the second half.

I don't understand why we didn't get Sampson the ball in the second half. I actually wouldn't have minded Iverson getting in there a little more once we weren't getting the ball to Sampson but oh well. I was just glad we actually rebounded today. I still can't believe we doubled in the post and gave up those open 3s. All we had to worry about at the end was defending the 3 with how much we were up by and considering they didn't do crap inside other than Lucas driving. It was nice leaving the barn in freezing rain to top off one of the most devastating losses I remember.

From watching this game compared to the first game at Breslin it was amazing how much quicker MSU looked on the perimeter. I know it is not reasonable to ask Devoe or anyone for that matter to stay with Lucas the entire game, but I just could get over how overmatched our guards looked trying to defend the drive. Lucas or Lucious would make one jab step and Joseph/Cobb/Westbrook/Hoff would immediately open up 10 ft of space. This really worries me. I think Nolen's defense made a few of our other guards look better defensively than they really are.

Two strong games in a row for Joseph. He is really developing into a player. I really like the depth that is starting to show for this team. This is a team that is now missing what was expected to be three of the top players and are still able to compete with one of the best teams in the nation.

I hated to see them lose but I loved to see the way they competed. They deserved to win this game. I don't see any drop off next year. I hope it includes Royce and Trevor. The sky is the limit with those players.

Top Bottom