Does anyone think this team can compete for a B10 title in the next 3 yrs?

Reaction score
Seriously?

How is Tubby any different from Brewster in this regard?

No player on this team inspires confidence as a go-to guy. *MAYBE* if Mbakwe and White come back from their criminal charges/general insanity. That's right, if two players come back from their criminal charges we might challenge for a big 10 title eventually. Great. Awesome.

But hey we can actually beat Iowa and Wisconsin in this sport, right?

Also, fyi, when a team takes 25 3pt attempts and makes 50% of them, you should stop collapsing every time the ball goes in the paint.

As of right now....we are in big trouble the next three years to be quite frank....depending on royce and Trevor and if the are allowed to come back. His current recruiting class is definitely more of the same with no exceptional talent coming in. OK talent, but not upper tier Big Ten talent. This university just can't seem to right the ship no matter what they do. We are a wrestling/hockey school and that is the way it goes.

Big time questions for next year

1. Royce?
2. Trevor?
3. Nolen?
4. Corey Joseph?

Get 3 or 4 of those next year and the future is very bright

Yep, all hope is lost. We'll suck forever. Whew, I feel better now. :rolleyes:

1. Royce?
2. Trevor?
3. Nolen?
4. Corey Joseph?

If you have White/Mbakwe/Cory Joseph along with decent improvement from Ralph and Colton next year, Minnesota would have a chance to win the conference title.

I think that we can without question compete in the next couple years. Imagine a C joseph D joseph Royce Trevor Ralph. Solid

I think that we can without question compete in the next couple years. Imagine a C joseph D joseph Royce Trevor Ralph. Solid

Even next year. With Ralph, Trevor, Royce, either Al or Corey at the point, and Hoffarber getting tons of looks.

Even next year. With Ralph, Trevor, Royce, either Al or Corey at the point, and Hoffarber getting tons of looks.

And some good luck, for a change. The U, at least in men's football and basketball, just seems to have horrible luck.

So we lost to the Big Ten leader and last year's NCAA runnerup by one point without three guys on the floor expected to contribute this year? And now you want to write the Gophers off for not just this year ... but also the next two years?

You sir are a truly great mind.

So we lost to the Big Ten leader and last year's NCAA runnerup by one point without three guys on the floor expected to contribute this year? And now you want to write the Gophers off for not just this year ... but also the next two years?

I don't know if you are referring to my comment. I never said write them off for the next two years I said Illinois has big time talent coming through their state the next 2-3 years. The original question was, can we compete? I said YES. However I do not see us winning a B10 championship.

Compete? Yes. Win? No. Remember Ohio State has one of the top recruiting classes in the nation, Michigan State will always be there, and Illinois has an excess of talent, most likely for the next 2-3 years, in their recruiting classes.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ool?page=considering&season=2011&schoolId=356

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr.../school?page=commits&season=2011&schoolId=356

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr.../school?season=2010&schoolId=356&page=commits

I haven't lost my faith in Bruce Weber and Thad Matta coached teams underperforming.

Yes

Seriously?

No player on this team inspires confidence as a go-to guy. *MAYBE* if Mbakwe and White come back from their criminal charges/general insanity. That's right, if two players come back from their criminal charges we might challenge for a big 10 title eventually. Great. Awesome.

Also, fyi, when a team takes 25 3pt attempts and makes 50% of them, you should stop collapsing every time the ball goes in the paint.

Yes. The Gophers CAN compete for B10 title(s).

I absolutely agree with Mikie!

What he said.

Seriously?

Compete for a title. Yes. Win a title. No

I know it's frustrating, but just remember the guys Tubby is playing aren't his recruits. He is doing what he can with the talent the has. If you think in two years mbwake, royce, rodney, devoe, and sampson, with two new recruiting classes won't contend for a big ten championship you're crazy. Our go to guy is Westbrook, you won't win big ten championships with guys like that. I for one will be glad when he is gone. There is plenty of talent to take over when the opportunity was given. Half you people were writing Devoe off before the Indiana game, and he showed what he can do. There was a reason he was a 4 star recruit. When he is a senior I bet you anything he is a better scorer and decision maker than westbrook ever was in his entire career.

That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is that Minnesota is 0-10 vs Michigan St and Purdue since Tubby showed up.

I should amend this, *IF* we get Joseph and White gets his head out of his orifice, we will finally have studs that can come in and build something. I'm loving RSIII and Devoe had a great game today. Rodney has NBA athleticism. As it is, Joseph hasn't signed his Minnesota LOI yet and White has more misdemeanors than points this year.

I just haven't seen improvement in these 3 years. I thought the Louisville game would be a launching pad but we've stagnated and had some pretty memorable losses along the way.

Anyone choosing the moniker of Russ Archambault should be considered suspect.

Careful, he might change it to Jan Gangelhoff.
Same difference!
IF the team that Tubby put together for this year folded, I'd be feeling discouraged. This season is crumbling faster than a keebler cookie, but the prospects for the future haven't dimmed in my mind. If you're ready to throw in the towel, you haven't suffered through the Monson years.

That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is that Minnesota is 0-10 vs Michigan St and Purdue since Tubby showed up.

I should amend this, *IF* we get Joseph and White gets his head out of his orifice, we will finally have studs that can come in and build something. I'm loving RSIII and Devoe had a great game today. Rodney has NBA athleticism. As it is, Joseph hasn't signed his Minnesota LOI yet and White has more misdemeanors than points this year.

I just haven't seen improvement in these 3 years. I thought the Louisville game would be a launching pad but we've stagnated and had some pretty memorable losses along the way.[/QUOTE]

I'm not big into moral victories, but to say there is no improvement is just plain wrong. Sampson, Colt, Devoe, Carter, Nolen, Johnson and Blake have all improved. Rodney and Cobbs are decent freshmen and they will improve. Any player Tubby gets will improve. This year is frustrating because without White and Mbakwe the team isn't talented enough to contend for a Big Ten title. Seeing them lose a close one today with Nolen on the bench was especially frustrating.

I agree that some more pieces need to fall in place, but writing off the next 3 years is nonsense.

I don't get the need to look forward and forecast doom for the next few years, especially after a day like today. I am still really angry about today, I don't have room in my mind or soul to also be angry about something that could happen in the future.

Agreed Chi-town.
The play of Sampson should cheer us. I expected Devoe to struggle more today with the pressure of the MSU defense. The BTT should be interesting!

I think they can, but dont think they will.

They need some breaks along the way, need a pig time PG and a scorer. This team is filled with mid-level B10 talent, and no real game changers.

People seem to overreact when teams in transition go through these growing pains. It is happening in football, and it is happening with the basketball team. When you hit bottom like both programs did recently, digging out of that is not an easy task. You aren't just gonna suddenly be a title contender two years after that. It CAN happen, but it is not very likely, and requires a lot of good breaks, which we all know Minnesota is not exactly known for. This is gonna take a little time, that's just the way it is.

As far as competing for a Big Ten title in 3 years? VERY possible, I'd say even in the next two. It looks more and more favorable that we will have the services of Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe next season at least. We will be losing Westbrook and DJ as big contributors, but I honestly think their production can be replaced. If Nolen comes back, you'll have him and Hoffarber for senior leadership along with Paul Carter. Joseph, Sampson, and Colt will then be juniors, along with Mbakwe, so the upperclassmen leadership should be pretty strong. Then the talents of Rodney and Cobbs being a year older and smarter. Then you have who probably is your most talented guy in Royce White as a freshman, along with Hollins being another shooting threat. And if we do happen to get Cory Joseph? Even better.

Let's not get too carried away here, people. The team has struggled, no doubt. But considering the circumstances of this season, we're not nearly as far off as some of the "sky is falling" posts would indicate. These are our losses this season:

vs. Portland (61-56)
vs. Texas A&M (66-65)
@ Miami (63-58)
@ Purdue (79-60)
@ MSU (60-53)
@ IU (81-78 OT)
vs. MSU (65-64)

Excluding the Purdue loss, that is 6 losses by a combined 22 points (3.7 average). I hate to say it, but I don't think it is farfetched at all to say that having White and Mbakwe on the floor could have likely converted at least 4 of those losses to wins. I know they haven't played even a second of Big Ten basketball, but these are talented guys who I think could have given us the 3.7 points a game needed to get some extra wins. This isn't Sabermetrics or anything lol, but just a simple guess as to what their impact could have possibly been. I mean, if we were sitting at 17-2 (6-1 BT) would we be having this conversation? Even, say 15-4 (5-2)? Alas, we aren't however, so it makes sense that these thoughts would be out there. This season obviously has been badly affected, but if we can get these guys on the court next season, I wouldn't close title hopes up quite yet.

Many of us suffered through Monson Moonlight

Same difference!
IF the team that Tubby put together for this year folded, I'd be feeling discouraged. This season is crumbling faster than a keebler cookie, but the prospects for the future haven't dimmed in my mind. If you're ready to throw in the towel, you haven't suffered through the Monson years.

Yet, at this juncture of the Tubby era, I did expect a bit more frankly.

Three years in, and there appear to be many more questions than I would have imagined at this point. The recruiting has been questionable, for sure, as Monson's boys are still on the floor for the most part. Those are the same guys that we all thought were not worthy of the floor. And they are still starting. Choosing RW and TM and Bostick were all decisions that Tubby made.

Tubby looks disinterested to me. And he has for parts of the past two seasons.

1. Royce?
2. Trevor?
3. Nolen?
4. Corey Joseph?

I'm with you. If we can get Royce, Mbwake, and Joseph we could compete for the title next year, and be a favorite in two years.

OSU and Illinois players are one and done types. Sad thing is they'll likely underachieve barely be 1st round picks. Matta and Weber should meet Don Lucia. No interest in being college players.

They are a couple of plays away from competing for a Big Ten Title this year. They could just as easily be 5-2 as 3-4. At 5-2 they would be in the thick of things.

The other thing is that they are building depth every year and existing players are improving. It's a tough league not doubt about that, but things turn their way and they can could be Big Ten champs in the next couple of years. They will never dominate and go unbeaten.

Please everybody, remember your response to this question two years from now when our centers are seniors, as is mbakwe, as is joseph.

It's easy to be impatient. The end of of the Monson reign left the team in shambles and yet Tubby should be at fault for taking time to rebuild it.

The real question should be this:

Is the team better today than when Tubby inherited it?

Sure it's been a tough season but it isn't over and the team is still fighting. I know it's uncomfortable sitting through tough, close, losses. But the emotion you feel after a loss should not become some mental poison that makes you doom the team's future.

I agree with Monty519. We are a few points away from everyone here hailing this team and coach. Things haven't gone our way so far, we are without key players, but the foundation is there for a very good team.

We definitely can compete in the next 2-3 years. if Cory signs and Royce/Trevor come back next season, we'll be in the upper echelon of the B10 in '10-11, and have a good shot at the title in '11-12.

Top Bottom