Boy, wasn't that predictable?

MRJ

Reaction score
Hate to be a downer, but you couldn't have scripted a more disappointing way to lose a game than that one. It's just another link in the chain of great luck we've been having all season long. :mad::eek::mad::eek:

That was so frustrating...that was one of the best games they've put together all season. Then MSU gets hot and hits 50% from 3 to stay in the game and of course pull it out in the end.

That was so frustrating...that was one of the best games they've put together all season. Then MSU gets hot and hits 50% from 3 to stay in the game and of course pull it out in the end.

Exactly. Completely and utterly predictable. Crappy as hell, but still predictable.

Luck

This one had nothing to do with bad luck. The Gophers late game plan lost them this game.

With more than 5 minutes left the Gophers were in the bonus with 4 fouls on Morgan and 3 on Green. From that point on the Gophers went to a strict half-court perimeter offense. Rarely did the team put the ball down low to challenge Morgan/Green and try and draw contact. Rather we saw low-percentage shots due to a low shot-clock. They also didn't go to the line once, which was the biggest advantage at that point in the game.

I hate to call out the coach but that was a horrible game plan. Also second straight game where they took the entire clock to put up a bad last second shot. Embarrassing.

Are we even going to be invited to the NIT? That's the question that we need to start asking. Sour grapes.....I am bitter as hell right now.

Are we even going to be invited to the NIT? That's the question that we need to start asking. Sour grapes.....I am bitter as hell right now.

This season turned into an abomination when we lost clearly what would have been our 2 best power forwards on the team. Couple that with the fact that Sampson and Iverson suck balls and you have our season.

This one had nothing to do with bad luck. The Gophers late game plan lost them this game.

With more than 5 minutes left the Gophers were in the bonus with 4 fouls on Morgan and 3 on Green. From that point on the Gophers went to a strict half-court perimeter offense. Rarely did the team put the ball down low to challenge Morgan/Green and try and draw contact. Rather we saw low-percentage shots due to a low shot-clock. They also didn't go to the line once, which was the biggest advantage at that point in the game.

I hate to call out the coach but that was a horrible game plan. Also second straight game where they took the entire clock to put up a bad last minute shot. Embarrassing.

I was speaking to the fact that our entire season has been defined by situations like this. Nothing and I mean nothing has gone our way. That I call a bit of luck. If you look at this game, certainly the decision making down the stretch played a key part in us losing. But my original statement was more intended as just being typical that we would control a game against the #7 team in the country at home for 39 minutes only to lose by one at the end. It's just typical based on the year we've had. Sorry I didn't explain myself a little better.

How about Raymar Morgan, a 55% free throw shooter, stepping to the line with 2 minutes left and draining both to tie the game? How about Ralph Sampson missing a 3 foot hook shot only for Green to come down on the other end and have his prayer answered off the glass? The Gophers should have put this game away, and absolutely choked, but you could sure see it coming.

This season turned into an abomination when we lost clearly what would have been our 2 best power forwards on the team. Couple that with the fact that Sampson and Iverson suck balls and you have our season.

Sampson sucks balls? You lost all credibility with that statement and make it clear you haven't watched the last two games.

I saw it coming when we failed to put them away. It seemed like we were a score away from the kill about three times in the 2nd half. Kalin Lucas is nasty, and some of those three with a defender in his face were sick. Morgan killed us on the boards too.

Couple of thoughts here:
1: The Gophers did EXACTLY what Indiana did last week when we caught up with them.
They abandoned their game plan and started playing " not to lose " We caught them but we know how that worked out.
We did the same thing this week. Stopped running our game that was working and started playing " not to lose "
More times than not when a team lets the air out of the ball to early they choke up, allow the opponent to get back
in the game.
2: We must keep in mind that the Spartan's shot terrible in the 1st half. Had they of shot even a decent percentage in
the 1st half we may never of even built the lead we did. At one point I think State was 3 of 20 from the field yet we were
only 7 points ahead.

Agreed. After we had them in foul trouble that early I couldn't understand why we didn't just drive at will or give it to Sampson. That would've been a nice time to have Nolen. Even if he doesn't make his layups, he can usually always beat his guy off the dribble and he gets fouled a good amount. I was hoping to have a number of shots in the bonus or have Morgan foul out.

I hate to call out the coach but that was a horrible game plan. Also second straight game where they took the entire clock to put up a bad last second shot. Embarrassing.

Couple of thoughts here:
1: The Gophers did EXACTLY what Indiana did last week when we caught up with them.
They abandoned their game plan and started playing " not to lose " We caught them but we know how that worked out.
We did the same thing this week. Stopped running our game that was working and started playing " not to lose "
More times than not when a team lets the air out of the ball to early they choke up, allow the opponent to get back
in the game.
2: We must keep in mind that the Spartan's shot terrible in the 1st half. Had they of shot even a decent percentage in
the 1st half we may never of even built the lead we did. At one point I think State was 3 of 20 from the field yet we were
only 7 points ahead.

Two last second shots (OT vs IU, regulation vs Mich St) didn't drop for Gophers turned 14-5 into 12-7 record.

Two last second shots (OT vs IU, regulation vs Mich St) didn't drop for Gophers turned 14-5 into 12-7 record.

It shouldn't have came down to that.

We said the same thing. It must've been with about five minutes to go when we all pretty much said .. oh my God they're playing not to lose. Unfortunately, Michigan State was playing to win at that point.

Stopped running our game that was working and started playing " not to lose "

We ended up heading to our daughters college on Friday and watched the game with her housemates. Even they were saying the same thing when we stopped being aggresive. It made for brutal five hour ride home. I don't know about anyone else but I'm really not looking forward to Northwestern Tuesday. I know we can beat them but damn they're hot right now.

Part of the problem was that Devoe and Sampson were tired at the end.
From what I hear the last play of the game was supposed to go to R3 slicing
through the lane but he could not shake free. Westy had Johnson wide open but because he dribbles so much didn't see him. Tubby needs to draw up better plays
with clear options. We have been in 6 close games this year and lost all of them. We are ONE superstar away from 3 or 4 more wins. Close but no cigar. Also,
Iverson only played 7 minutes which tells you that Tubby has as much confidence in the Boy as I do.

Top Bottom