Cory Joseph on ESPNU Now

GopherLady

Reaction score
Sorry, only 9.8 seconds left, Findlay is up 71-69. Would have posted earlier if I would have thought if it!

Good - I almost don't want to watch him, makes me want him to commit to the Gophs more and more!

He was the Player of game, 23pts, 9 boards, and #3Findlay knocked off St. Patrick's the #1 team in the nation 71-70.

Chances Cory Joseph becomes a Gopher = 2%.

Call me pessimistic, but I just don't see it happening. More of a Harrison Barnes lip-service move on his part to still have us in his final 5.

Harrison Barnes' brother doesn't play for the Gophers. I give him a 20% chance. Last night's performance and increase in minutes for Devoe can only help.

Cory

Cory,

you can START here next fall with your brother !

Trust me. You can't do that at UCONN or Texas.

:clap::clap::clap:

Harrison Barnes did not even have us in his final 5. Did not take a visit either. What reason does Cory have to pay us lip service? I think there is genuine interest, and obviously we have better than a 2% chance. His brother alone is a good enough reason to want to play here, and that's not including opportunity to be our eventual go-to player and immediate contributer from his first day of practice. There are plenty of reasons why he would be a good fit here, I won't fault him for wanting something else either though.

BTW they are replaying this game on ESPNU later tonight, 10 o clock I think. I didn't get to watch, but I heard it was a really good game.

Call me pessimistic, but I just don't see it happening. More of a Harrison Barnes lip-service move on his part to still have us in his final 5.

I join you in not being overly optimisitc, but 2%? We're in his final 5 and really in his final 3 it seems. Therefore, I give us at least a 20% chance. I don't think there's any lip-service involved. Our chances hinge on how much Devoe is in his ear when the day comes and how much he really wants to play with his brother.

I join you in not being overly optimisitc, but 2%?
I was being a little extreme, I apologize.

Realistically, I'd say we have probably a 25%-33% shot of landing him. That might be high, considering the programs he's looking at, and the struggles and lack of clock his brother has been getting this year.

howe...

I join you in not being overly optimisitc, but 2%? We're in his final 5 and really in his final 3 it seems. Therefore, I give us at least a 20% chance. I don't think there's any lip-service involved. Our chances hinge on how much Devoe is in his ear when the day comes and how much he really wants to play with his brother.

+1

I was being a little extreme, I apologize.

Realistically, I'd say we have probably a 25%-33% shot of landing him. That might be high, considering the programs he's looking at, and the struggles and lack of clock his brother has been getting this year.

If Al and Rodney are suspended, Davoe will be getting plenty of clock. And if Westbrook keeps his act up, he'll continue to be the go-to guy as he was yesterday.

He's not coming here. If he was, why wouldn't he have already given Tubby the nod? He knows everything about the program from his brother. What could he possibly be waiting for if he was coming here? I'm telling you, he is just keeping us on the list so it looks like we have a real shot because of his brother. Could be wrong, but thats what it smells like to me. I wouldn't be happier than to be wrong on this.

He's not coming here. If he was, why wouldn't he have already given Tubby the nod? He knows everything about the program from his brother. What could he possibly be waiting for if he was coming here? I'm telling you, he is just keeping us on the list so it looks like we have a real shot because of his brother. Could be wrong, but thats what it smells like to me. I wouldn't be happier than to be wrong on this.

My guess is he is looking at how recruiting and returning backcourts end up at UConn and Texas.

By your logic, why wouldn't he have committed to one of the other schools?

By the same token, he's not doing us any favors if that's true. Out of respect for coach Smith and his brother, if he knows he's not coming here, why not tell tell them so they can go ahead and give that scholarship (the only one they have) to Creekmur or someone else who can help them next year?

He's considering one of the two other top schools, but hasn't made up his mind based on their recruiting of other guards, etc. (per your comment - I agree here) Doesn't my logic make sense if you take the home town bias out of the equation? If he were truly coming here he would have no reason to wait at this point. We are a darkhorse. Again, hope I'm wrong.

My guess is he is looking at how recruiting and returning backcourts end up at UConn and Texas.

By your logic, why wouldn't he have committed to one of the other schools?

Right, you have to look at this from a bigger perspective. He's not just leading on Jay Wright, Jim Calhoun, and Rick Barnes. Sometimes kids need time to make thier decision, even if they have a lot of information about each school. That's why most kids don't make their decision at their official visit.

I bet he'd feel a lot more uncomfortable about going to UConn if Brandon Knight ends up there. There's a lot of factors in play, and for him the world does not revolve around our basketball team. He needs to make a decision that is best for himself. Which would be the Gophers.

Recruiting has changed. High profile kids are going to wait it out till the bitter end because a. they're a lot smarter about the process than they use to be and b. it's for their benefit.

Say you're Basketball Player C. You're pretty good, the national guys think of you decently enough and you've gotten some mild interest from some big name schools. But your offer sheet is middle of the pack BCS and high mid-majors. Yet, Player A and Player B are being recruited hard by the same group of schools that have given you that mild or lukewarm interest. You wait it out and those offers become very hot because Player A and B committed and that third or fourth school on the list needs to fill that slot.

The fact that Devoe plays here and their mother really likes Tubby leads me to believe that Corey would have told Tubby that he is not considering MN any longer if that were the case. Not saying he will come here but I think we're still in the mix.

Just my opinion

Recruiting has changed. High profile kids are going to wait it out till the bitter end because a. they're a lot smarter about the process than they use to be and b. it's for their benefit.

Say you're Basketball Player C. You're pretty good, the national guys think of you decently enough and you've gotten some mild interest from some big name schools. But your offer sheet is middle of the pack BCS and high mid-majors. Yet, Player A and Player B are being recruited hard by the same group of schools that have given you that mild or lukewarm interest. You wait it out and those offers become very hot because Player A and B committed and that third or fourth school on the list needs to fill that slot.

What are you talking about? Cory is the player A or B, not the player C.

What are you talking about? Cory is the player A or B, not the player C.

That comment wasn't really directed at Joseph but rather a general illustration of how things work today in recruiting. Joesph is definitely playing the waiting game. If he commits before the end of March to anyone I'll be surprised. A lot of this "I'm torn. I can't make a decision" is b.s. These kids want to see how things shake out: Who commits at their position, who declares for the draft, who transfers, and/or who misses out on a prospect and might come calling. What if Kansas loses Selby to UConn with a Knight commitment to Kentucky? Does Kansas get involved with Joseph and try to "steal" him at the last minute?

You know whats causing his indecision right now? the fact that hes an 18 year old kid who really doesnt know what he wants to do with the rest of his life, except play basketball, and most likely to him the choice isnt clear ot him or he would have made it. the schools probably look all similar, or tried to appear that way at least, and he's having trouble deciding what he really wants. i think this feeling is common in hs seniors going into college sports when heavily recruited, thus the rise of the 'hat ceremony' or whatever its called. 9/10 times odds are before that moment they have no idea which one theyre going to pick and they just go with whatever impulse drives them right then.

i think he will end up with the gophers for the fact only that his brother is here and he'll have a familiar friendly face.

I'm pessimistic too, but I'll give the Gopher's a much better chance ... 5%. But two current issues could have a bearing.

1) Was the Indiana game a breakout game for Devoe? I'd assume that if Devoe ends the year on a streak and is upbeat with the Gopher chances next year, then that will increase our odds with the younger Mr Joseph. +25%

2) One Gopher seems to have an iffy academic future this season and Al Nolen is one of the two names mentioned. I've been assuming that even if Cory Joseph signed with the Gophers that he would have little chance of starting ahead of Al. But if Al was to miss the rest of the season, I think his claim on the starting PG spot next year is up in the air. To tell the truth, I don't really know how this could play out. +5%

With Royce's departure, I'm thinking our chances of getting Cory have decreased. We certainly weren't his top choice or he would have already signed. My guess as to his preferences are UConn, Texas, Villanova and then us. Based on his interviews it looks like he wants three things: Playing Time, Showcase his Talents for NBA and Play for a Winner. If playing time is most important, we have a shot. However, I don't think Cory views Tubby's system as the ideal place to showcase his talents and unlike the other programs we don't have a realistic chance to be a final four contender during his one or two year tenure.

With Royce's departure, I'm thinking our chances of getting Cory have decreased. We certainly weren't his top choice or he would have already signed. My guess as to his preferences are UConn, Texas, Villanova and then us. Based on his interviews it looks like he wants three things: Playing Time, Showcase his Talents for NBA and Play for a Winner. If playing time is most important, we have a shot. However, I don't think Cory views Tubby's system as the ideal place to showcase his talents and unlike the other programs we don't have a realistic chance to be a final four contender during his one or two year tenure.

I know nothing about this kid, but out of curiosity, how would you know about Cory's views on Tubby's system?

Top Bottom