Are We Getting Closer to a New Siebert Field?

HHH_Gopher

Reaction score
News from Sid today on the ballpark front. Hope it's true and that a campaign could be kicked off soon.

Help for U baseball

Quite some time ago, there was a story in our newspaper about how Siebert Field was falling apart, how it was dangerous for people to sit in the stands and how badly the Gophers needed a new baseball stadium.

Carl Pohlad was having dinner at the Metrodome, and he asked me if it's true the stadium was in that bad of shape.

I asked him if he would consider contributing to the building of a new stadium. He didn't say yes or no. But he did say, "Why don't you have those people talk to me."

I don't know if the university ever approached the late Mr. Pohlad. However, the university recently did approach his son Jim Pohlad, who now runs the Twins after his father's death last year.

Now the word is that the Pohlads will make it possible to build that Gophers baseball stadium by being a major contributor of between $3 million and $4 million. The Pohlad name will not be on the stadium, and I'm sure they will try to keep it quiet, like they do when they contribute to a lot of charities.

There always have been some smaller contributions to a Gophers stadium, but now that the Pohlads have come through, look for the stadium to finally be on its way.

Fantastic news, the team really needs a new stadium, good to see something big to get the ball rolling.

this was already posted in the New Gopher Baseball Stadium thread

but good news if this is true.

I talked to Joel Maturi at the basketball tournament in Anaheim and directly asked him about the baseball stadium. First of all, I think he was surprised to hear someone ask about baseball. He did say it was looking good to get started soon.

Top Bottom