"Old-timer" fans

94Gopher

Reaction score
I have some very mixed feelings about the "old-timers" at the Barn. I think that we kept a pretty solid season ticket base of about 10k even through the dark ages. Obviously everyone on this board is passionate about Gopher basketball and many of us have had season tix for some time or get to games whenever they can. But there aren't 10k of us here at the Gopherhole that have season tix. I have no idea what the percentage is, but it is clear that a large number of old-timers have been loyal to this team for a long time and kept it going through thick and thin -- the casual fans jump on and off the bandwagon, it's just the nature of sports. Were the old-timers "grandfathered in" (sorry, couldn't help it) or are they paying the licensing fee every year? I've had season tix since '92, the first two seasons as a grad student, but I've never paid the extra bump. The old-timers have kept it going and paid for the privilege.

On the other hand, I think some fans are overly sensitive about the reaction of fans around them -- just too Minnesota-nice. Who really cares if some old dude is glaring at you? He isn't going to kick your butt. The worst he could do is get an usher and I doubt that would get him very far as long as you aren't engaging in "unsportsperson-like conduct" (a phrase for a different post). I stand up frequently, including when there is a bad call -- I just can't help it. The best I can do is not swear, which is tough for me. I'd be glad to mix it up (verbally) with a fan that was complaining about my cheering. Then again, I'm 6'5" and a lawyer so I have plenty of a-hole potential!

Top Bottom