Not a top 25 team, We will be lucky to make tourney!

gophermanic

Banned
Reaction score
I see a 7-11 conference record and an NIT home game in the future. The Big Ten has 7-8 quality teams this year. This team cannot rebound and they will be exposed once again against a monster front line in Ohio State.

I am going to see how we bounce back first before I claim we are not NCAA bound, but after watching the Ill/Purdue game my first thought was we are going to get killed on the boards against those two teams.

Michigan State already ate us alive on the boards.

I think we just do not have a inside scoring presence, and that allows teams to really focus in on our outside shooting. We are going to live and die by the 3 this year. Unless we got more baskets out of penetration by our guards, this team could see a few more games like today. Hopefully Colt/RSIII have a quick learning curve.

Michigan St simply out executed us and dominated us down low. They moved well without the ball, they were the better team. That being said, we played very poorly, especially in the second half. Michigan St was on their game and they played well. Its one game and you move on. To dismiss this team as a tourney team is ludicrous. We have the talent to compete in every game in the Big Ten. Seriously man...you are a typical fan who makes snap judgements, let the season play out a bit.

I see a 7-11 conference record and an NIT home game in the future. The Big Ten has 7-8 quality teams this year. This team cannot rebound and they will be exposed once again against a monster front line in Ohio State.

I think you are overreacting a little, don't you think?

One game against a well established team is good for letting the Gophers know what better looks like. I can give you at least a 90% quarantee when the two teams meet again, the Gophers will do much better!

"Let the season play out a bit."

Amen to that. You'd think we just lost at home to Lipscomb by the way a few folks are reacting. The wonders of the Internet age!

As it is only the first conf. game of the season and the Spartans are a really solid team, there probably is some overreacting going on here. That said, it is not an overreaction to say that the O-boarding was scary bad. Nothing in the whimpy non-conf schedule prepared me for that. Also, when Westbrook aint plinking 3s, the machine don't work so good. Still positive about the goph's prospects though.

#21 Gophers lost to #10 MSU. WI beat #24 MI at MI. IL beat a highly ranked Purdue @ Purdue. Don't dare tell me that we can't compete....the Big 10 is murderous this year. I predict a win Sat vs. tOSU. GO GOPHERS!!!!!! And Boner4Goldy is to be banned from comments my friends, do not even reply to B4G's.

#21 Gophers lost to #10 MSU. WI beat #24 MI at MI. IL beat a highly ranked Purdue @ Purdue. Don't dare tell me that we can't compete....the Big 10 is murderous this year. I predict a win Sat vs. tOSU. GO GOPHERS!!!!!! And Boner4Goldy is to be banned from comments my friends, do not even reply to B4G's.

You predicted a win over MSU today too?!?!?

Gophers lost to a better team. Stop the press. The Barn just isn't what it used to be for opponents. Tubby has yet to win a big home game....

I See 10-8

For 22-8 headed into Big 10 tourney. Then 23 W or maybe 24 on Selection Sunday. #9 or #10 seed, maybe.

Yes I did predict that Art Vandaley. But I LOVE the Gophers and I plead with my heart. Do I think I predict 100%. Absolutely not, because if I did I would be in LasVegas making Gazillions of $$$$$$$$$$$$. But I Love the Gophers, be it FB, MBB, WBB, Hockey, Wrestling, Swimming, CC, Track and Field, Gymnastics......I LOVE THE GOPHERS!!!! So please never put me down for being optimistic and caring....Thanks, Art. Happy New Year to you and yours. :) Dr.Don

I think it is easy to overreact after a loss and think the sky is falling and the reverse it true, too. Come on....we go 12-1 and you are ready to start panicing??

I think the Gophers will make the Big Dance and think Friend of Tubby is probably dead on with his pick. I think that Lousville win will go a long ways with the selection committee and we will be back strong very soon.

Do you want to know the identity of every Michigan State team that Izzo has coached?

1. They play good defense and hustle
2. They outrebound everybody
3. They push the ball back up court after made baskets

MSU is usually the top rebounding team in the conference and when they are not they are in the top 3. Getting outrebounded by them is not a sign that we can't rebound but it clearly has to be a focus.

Most of our stand out players are young. We saw what experienced athletic players can do and it hurt. If anybody thinks that this team program is peaking in 2008-09 you are crazy. This team is going to keep getting better this year as they gain experience. They will continue getting better next year as the current players continue to improve and we replace seniors that play low minutes with elite freshman that are more athletic than anybody we had on the court today.

When the season began the goal for this team was the NCAA tournament and I think most people believed we would be a bubble team. Through 13 games there is nothing to say that was not a reasonable goal and if anything the goal may move a little higher. Next year the goal will move higher and I personally believe the goal 2 years out should be Big Ten title.

Golly gee, where is that darned Panic Button?!? :eek:

I think the Big 10 has as many as 10 quality teams. IU is not much of a team this year but all the rest are.

The Gophers (or any team) will probably L any time they are outrebounded by 22.

Our top 20 freshman recruiting class went up against 4 years of recruiting classes that were probably top 5-30. Bottom line Izzo and MSU have been the class of the Big Ten for the past 10 years.

I knew this was coming and some would be jumping off bridges when we had a let down. People were actually suggesting a conference title run next year. Maybe we can now have realistic expectations- like a top half conference finish and a NCAA birth this year and a top 3 finish next year. Tubby is going have to land a stud like Harrison Barnes before we can think about a conference title.

The Big Ten is getting tough again. Any future run will depend on how quickly Iverson and Sampson can take on the learning curve.

Our top 20 freshman recruiting class went up against 4 years of recruiting classes that were probably top 5-30. Bottom line Izzo and MSU have been the class of the Big Ten for the past 10 years.

And also Izzo in an interview shown during the game said that Lucas was the fastest, quickest player he has ever recruited and is the fastest and quickest player he has ever coached. This seemed like more than just your normal coach-speak superlative and Lucas during the game did nothing to make me question Izzo's superlative praise.

Top Bottom