Brewster is behind the Kansas rumors

So, you are a guy that has questions about your job security. A job opens up that will offer you more longevity, by virtue of that, more money, and lastly, an environment where you may not be analyzed as pessimistically and short-sightledly - would you take a look?

He might want to make sure it is a job however where they would atleast give him the time of day. Kansas is two years removed from a BCS bowl and would not hire someone that hasn't proven he can win here and who also got taken to the woodshed by Kansas a year ago. To do this when is chances of getting the job are slim is not smart. Now the Akron job or Youngstown State jobs, that is more like it.

This has always been simple to me. It requires talent and good coaching. If we brought in a known good coach it would still take time to acquire the talent. We have Brew, he is acquiring the talent. If he can't compete with them when we're ready at least he's acquired the talent. We still are alot closer. Bring in a new coach, two years later voilla!! contention.

The risk is so low to extend Brew. It's not like we're turning our wheels in the mud. Every year he's here we're more talented. How much would a big time University pay to go from the 60th best talent to the 30th? Way more than the buy out we might be saddled with if we extend Brewster now. The new coach comes in, who's a known good coach, and there we are. I don't understand the fence sitting. So low risk, just high reward. maybe I'm not seeing it clearly. In fact it's almost better, pay Brew his low salary to acquire the talent and then once the talent is in place then pay the big bucks. It's almost a win win to extend him.

I agree with your line of thinking as well. Logically it just doesn't make sense to not extend. If you are going to fire your coach you are going to have to pay him a buyout. You can't simply let him work until his contract is up. If Maturi isn't at the point where you are ready to fire him then he needs to publicly support him 110% and give him a two year extension. This allows Brew to do his job recruiting talent to the program.

He might want to make sure it is a job however where they would atleast give him the time of day. Kansas is two years removed from a BCS bowl and would not hire someone that hasn't proven he can win here and who also got taken to the woodshed by Kansas a year ago. To do this when is chances of getting the job are slim is not smart. Now the Akron job or Youngstown State jobs, that is more like it.

Isn't that what Brewster was allegedly doing?

Darren and Ron, I get that your responses are in a narrower frame than my response was.

I'm 55/45 pro-Brewster as a coach and in my "fan math," 50.1 = 100. I don't like everything he does, but he's the guy right now and I want him to succeed. That said, I don't know if he's up for the job, not because he couldn't be successful or that he's a flat-out lousy coach. I just wonder if he can be successful in this situation, which has to rank in the bottom 10% of quality jobs in FBS football. Sure, it pays better than the MAC, but this just isn't a marquee job because of the tattered fan base.

To get this program where it needs to be, it needs a ten-year commitment to excellence by everyone in the football building. We've got a good stadium and a good recruiter, now we need stability and a way to re-energize the fan base.

That's where I was heading and I'm sorry if I hi-jacked things a bit.

50PoundHead,

I can't say I disagree with the way you view things. I'm not saying that I have 100% confidence that Brewster is the guy to take us to the next level but I definitely lean towards giving him more time. My whole point is that Maturi can't afford to sit on the fence. He needs to support Brewster either 100% or 0%. Anything else is going to damage the program and Brewster regime in a major way.

Darren and Ron, I get that your responses are in a narrower frame than my response was.

I'm 55/45 pro-Brewster as a coach and in my "fan math," 50.1 = 100. I don't like everything he does, but he's the guy right now and I want him to succeed. That said, I don't know if he's up for the job, not because he couldn't be successful or that he's a flat-out lousy coach. I just wonder if he can be successful in this situation, which has to rank in the bottom 10% of quality jobs in FBS football. Sure, it pays better than the MAC, but this just isn't a marquee job because of the tattered fan base.

To get this program where it needs to be, it needs a ten-year commitment to excellence by everyone in the football building. We've got a good stadium and a good recruiter, now we need stability and a way to re-energize the fan base.

That's where I was heading and I'm sorry if I hi-jacked things a bit.

We're thinking the same. I'm not convinced Brewster is the answer either but dammit, regardless if he's the answer you can't give a guy 2 recruiting seasons to turn this thing around.

I know people's patience has run thin. 40 years of losing will do that to any fan base. But it's not Brewster's fault we've been so low for 40 years.

Again, at this point, we have no hard evidence that Brew initiated the contact. If he did, can you blame him? He is forcing the fence-sitter's (Maturi's) hand.

Again, at this point, we have no hard evidence that Brew initiated the contact. If he did, can you blame him? He is forcing the fence-sitter's (Maturi's) hand.

If your going to try and force you bosses hand you might want to have some leverage however, such as being a legitimate candidate for another job. Brewster has no leverage and may end up having his bluff called and end up on the street.

If your going to try and force you bosses hand you might want to have some leverage however, such as being a legitimate candidate for another job. Brewster has no leverage and may end up having his bluff called and end up on the street.

Isn't it possible that Brewster would rather be bought out right now than serve another year as a lame-duck coach and be fired after next season?

Darren the Greek and Ron Johnson Super Fan, I agree that if Maturi and Brewster don't have a face-to-face by the end of the week and release the pressure that's been building up since the Dunbar dismissal, Maturi is going to have to do something.

Isn't it possible that Brewster would rather be bought out right now than serve another year as a lame-duck coach and be fired after next season?

Sure, let's assume that is the offer from KU and Brew is seriously considering it. Let's focus on what we really care about... he takes it..he's gone in a week..now what do we do? The program is set-back at least 2-3 years.

To prevent that, Maturi needs to end this right now and offer him an extension, keeping our recruits alive...they like Brew and we need to see a moderate level of continuity at some point.

What's the downside? You extend Brew on the cheap, relatively speaking of course. If his recruits, given a legitimate chance to succceed, don't pan out, you move on. As opposed to moving on right now, never letting them pan out, and immediately delaying any progress for a few years.

Why would the program be set back 2-3 years? Brewster has enough talent back, so if they could land the right guy, he could have a comparable first season to Houston Nutt (9 wins), Paul Johnson (9 wins), Dantonio (7 wins), or many others who have succeeded in their first years this decade.

Why would the program be set back 2-3 years? Brewster has enough talent back, so if they could land the right guy, he could have a comparable first season to Houston Nutt (9 wins), Paul Johnson (9 wins), Dantonio (7 wins), or many others who have succeeded in their first years this decade.

Have you seen Minnesota's schedule next year? Nine wins is a wet dream regardless who coaches.

The program would also be set back as many of Brew's recruits go elsewhere. Reading the statements these kids make, its all about their relationship with the staff. Loosing our top recruits for this years class sets us back big time.

Have you seen Minnesota's schedule next year? Nine wins is a wet dream regardless who coaches.

So you ignored Doogie's mention of Dantonio and his 7 wins?

Not every coach who is hired at a BCS school goes 1-11 in their first year. Some actually get their teams to ... gasp....overachieve right away (or even just achieve). That would probably require hiring someone who's been a former head coach or BCS coordinator.

It's all about continuity when you are working to take a program to the next level. Judging by your above post, which focuses on "year one," you don't understand that. In order to take the next step, the U needs to improve its talent / recruits. Brew is working harder than anybody ever has to do this. We have a very good shot at landing SH to add to Gjere, Edwards,etc. If Brew goes, all bets are off on any sort of a recruitng class. How's the 2013 class look?

If the new guy can move forward without a hitch in recruiting. Three good classes aren't complete, it will give you a mini spike at best.

A good hire can pick up where Brewster left off, the change in staff will hurt, and please don't insult us with exceptions. Most programs need a period to adjust. What will hurt, is if Brewster becomes lame duck. and we have two sub standard years in recruiting because of it. Then we are looking at about four years of sub mason like seasons.

Or if Brewster leaves now and the hire is too late, creating a poor recruiting year this year, and a late start for the new guy like what Brewster had to deal with. This will create a team strength of about 7th in the Big Ten. you're kind of locking the next four years into a talent level we have now, with a spike in 2011. We'll be talking about the same results that supposedly aren't good enough now for the next four years.

If you extend and maintain Brew he will have acquired the fourth most talented team in the big Ten. If you find you have to change then, you're looking at one deficient recruiting year which you might be able to absorb. But will still get hit four years later.

So, don't extend Brew but retain him. He has a good 2011 but built on two good classes and two mediocre ones. He gets a good recruiting class for the 2011 on field spike but then slips back for three years. If he doesn't succeed in 2011, you have one good class left as seniors and the rest pretty much masonesk for the new coach. Starting over.

Brew quits now and you make a good hire quickly. You get an average class this year, and a flat effort next but good results in 2011 and 2012 with a slight lull in 13 and 14.
Brew quits now and you make a late hire. You get a spike in 2011 maybe in 2012 if lucky and then poor years in 13 and 14.

There are ways to transition that are better than others. The worst is the way we're doing it, either creating a lame duck coach, or being late to the party in the hiring parade. you can't have bad recruiting years and win.

The program would also be set back as many of Brew's recruits go elsewhere. Reading the statements these kids make, its all about their relationship with the staff. Loosing our top recruits for this years class sets us back big time.

Nearly every recruit from every program lists that schools coaching staffs as one if not the primary reason for committing to that school, nothing special here. You may lose a few recruits but if you bring in a good coach they can often retain many and the ones they lose are often filled by different athletes and some may even be better than those lost if it is a very well respected coach.

So you ignored Doogie's mention of Dantonio and his 7 wins?

Not every coach who is hired at a BCS school goes 1-11 in their first year. Some actually get their teams to ... gasp....overachieve right away (or even just achieve). That would probably require hiring someone who's been a former head coach or BCS coordinator.

I work with a gal who is married to a die hard Purdue fan/alum. We were just talking about this at our holiday party last weekend. Despite losing to the Gophs this year, Danny Hope beat both Ohio State and Michigan in his first year. Yeah, Michigan is down but still, how many B10 coaches can claim that? In fact, he also mentioned Purdue was a missed PAT from beating both teams playing in the Rose Bowl. So, yes, not everyone goes 1-11 in their first year. He also mentioned that Joe Tiller was 9-3 in his rookie year and went to the Alamo Bowl.

Which program do you think is headed in the right direction? Any of our resident Purdue fans care to chime in?

Replace Indiana and Michigan with Penn State and Iowa and the go 3-9 (2-6). I wouldn't be getting too excited about that.

What's the downside? You extend Brew on the cheap, relatively speaking of course. If his recruits, given a legitimate chance to succceed, don't pan out, you move on. As opposed to moving on right now, never letting them pan out, and immediately delaying any progress for a few years.

I am not sure you can do that. If Brewster is out sniffing around he may try to demand a larger contract than Marturi is willing to give at this point. I could also see them disagreeing on the amount of a buyout. I am not convinced extending Brewster would be an easy negotiation at this point.

when the hell is Brewster going to come out and say he's not going anywhere, ala Harbaugh? Just shows his character, man.

Sure, let's assume that is the offer from KU and Brew is seriously considering it. Let's focus on what we really care about... he takes it..he's gone in a week..now what do we do? The program is set-back at least 2-3 years.

To prevent that, Maturi needs to end this right now and offer him an extension, keeping our recruits alive...they like Brew and we need to see a moderate level of continuity at some point.

I agree, an Extension for Brewster is a no brainer, You let him bring in more talent and see what he can do with it. If he can't win down the road with his own kids, you bring in another coach to coach his full cupboard of talent. It is fair to Brewster and the assurance of coaching continuity is good for recruiting.

I agree, an Extension for Brewster is a no brainer, You let him bring in more talent and see what he can do with it. If he can't win down the road with his own kids, you bring in another coach to coach his full cupboard of talent. It is fair to Brewster and the assurance of coaching continuity is good for recruiting.

You want to give him an extension based on recruiting alone? In order for the CEO of the program to warrant an extension there needs to be improvement in all facets. At this point we have yet to see an improvement in coaching in his three years.

You can't judge coaching until you have talented players. Brewster needs more time to get players so he can actually coach some kids that have chances to make plays. Talent trumps Coaching

You can't judge coaching until you have talented players. Brewster needs more time to get players so he can actually coach some kids that have chances to make plays. Talent trumps Coaching

I agree it seems silly to hire a guy because he has a reputation as a good recruiter and then get rid of him when all of his good recruits are freshmen and sophomores. Even Mason knew we were going to be thin at some spots, which is why he recruited a ton of JC guys his last year here. Mason's thin recruiting classes at the end may have been a result of his contract situation, too.

Replace Indiana and Michigan with Penn State and Iowa and the go 3-9 (2-6). I wouldn't be getting too excited about that.

Replace Ohio State and Penn State with Indiana and Michigan and we likely still have the same record. No guarantees in any game.

Yes you can. It doesn't take talent to have 11 guys on the field, line up right, and not false start. How many times have the Gophers wasted time-outs in the last three years. This has happened for three straight years now. I don't see it getting better over night.

Here we go again with the wasted timeouts complaint. If only Florida would have had more timeouts, they might have beaten Alabama. Darn those timeouts!

Here we go again with the wasted timeouts complaint. If only Florida would have had more timeouts, they might have beaten Alabama. Darn those timeouts!
What if LSU had saved a timeout vs. Ole Miss a few weeks back? Timeouts (2nd half) are priceless and they can't be wasted the way we waste them.

Top Bottom