Brewster is behind the Kansas rumors

Schnoodler, you are seriously one of my favorite posters on this board, but you cannot be serious. There is a fraternity of about 50 guys that literally know everything that happens over there. Lou is one of them.

Lou may be in the know at the U, but he in no way said on the Barreiro show that he knows what is happening with the Kansas rumor. I was listening to the show at the time and I have a whole different take on what was said. In my opinion, the only thing Lou said was that after talking to several of his friends he does not think there is anything to the rumors. Lou did not say or even imply that Brewster was behind the story. If he had, Barreiro would have been all over it. He wasn't.

Lou may be in the know at the U, but he in no way said on the Barreiro show that he knows what is happening with the Kansas rumor. I was listening to the show at the time and I have a whole different take on what was said. In my opinion, the only thing Lou said was that after talking to several of his friends he does not think there is anything to the rumors. Lou did say or even imply that Brewster was behind the story. If he had, Barreiro would have been all over it. He wasn't.

Well I'll be buggered. Could have sworn that Nanne said Brewster's friends contacted Kansas to see if there was any interest. Well, at any rate, there seems to be no doubt in Maturi's mind where the contact intiated. Just posted by Youngblood:

"I don't think it's inappropriate, if the coach is doing what he thinks is in his best interest," Maturi said from New York Tuesday.

When a coach has interest in another job, he has his "friends" - other coaches or others in the collegiate scene (in most cases it is the people they used as references for their current job) - call schools to gauge what interest a school has in him. That way he can find out if they are interested, and if not and word gets out, then he can say he wasn't interested in the job - he "hasn't had any contact with the school whatsoever". He hasn't, but his friends have.

I legitimately believe Brewster did have his friends call to gauge KUs interest, but KU was not interest. I wouldn't doubt for a second though that Brewster definitely wanted to know if KU was interested in him.

Lou may be in the know at the U, but he in no way said on the Barreiro show that he knows what is happening with the Kansas rumor. I was listening to the show at the time I got a whole different take on what was said. In my opinion, the only thing Lou said was that after talking to several of his friends he does not think there is anything to the rumors. Lou did say or even imply that Brewster was behind the story. If he had Barreiro would have been all over it. He wasn't.

Upnorth, I "YOUSE" to have a lot of respect for you but now, I don't know that I can say that. Lou didn't say "or even imply that Brewster was behind the story"? "If he did Barrerio would have been all over it".

That is pretty damned rational thinking for an INTERNET BOARD POSTING!!!:mad:

I don't know who the hell you think you are but that kind of clear headed thinking has NO place around here, particularly when it's in a "Brewster could be fired :eek:" post.

I expect a better performance on the future...:rolleyes::clap:

Lou may be in the know at the U, but he in no way said on the Barreiro show that he knows what is happening with the Kansas rumor. I was listening to the show at the time and I have a whole different take on what was said. In my opinion, the only thing Lou said was that after talking to several of his friends he does not think there is anything to the rumors. Lou did not say or even imply that Brewster was behind the story. If he had, Barreiro would have been all over it. He wasn't.

I'm sorry, Upnorth, but you are wrong. Just listened to it again and here is what Nanne said:

Nanne: Well, uh, what I heard is that some friends of Brewster's have actually called Kansas. It wasn't Brewster's agent, it wasn't Brewster, but they called Kansas and see if they might have some interest in him but that's about the extent of it.
Barreiro: So you don't think this is going any where? You still expect Brewster to be back next year?
Nanne: Yeah, it's not going anywhere.

Then, Barreirro read Nanne Maturi's "can't guarantee" quote and Nanne says:

Nanne: (laughing in a disgusted kind of way) I'd say it's 99.9% percent that he's not going to Kansas.

More from Barreiro

Nanne: I don't think there's any real desire for Brewster to go there.

Just curious but WTF does Lou Fing Nanne knows about the Gopher football coaching situation? Nothing more than you and I. Let's all move on and chill out until something from someone with any knowledge at all has insight on this.

Lou Nanne is a huge Gopher booster and knows way more about the inner workings of our athletic department than 98% of the people on this board....

But, once again, this is an event that is happening in kansas and not here. What does nanne know about kansas?

Schnoodler we enjoy your contributions, but could you just admit that it's possible that Lou would know on this one. There are many, many ways in which Lou could've been alerted.

But, once again, this is an event that is happening in kansas and not here. What does nanne know about kansas?

It goes down like this: Nanne is sitting in new SoCal house when he gets a text that says, "heard about brewster" and he calls the guy and the guy says, "apparently Kansas is after Brewster." Then nanne says, "yeah right, Brewster's behind that s**t." And the other guy says, "that's the story. Brewster had his buddies call over there to see if they'd take him. they said take a hike" Nanne says, "what a dumbs**t." End of call.

It goes down like this: Nanne is sitting in new SoCal house when he gets a text that says, "heard about brewster" and he calls the guy and the guy says, "apparently Kansas is after Brewster." Then nanne says, "yeah right, Brewster's behind that s**t." And the other guy says, "that's the story. Brewster had his buddies call over there to see if they'd take him. they said take a hike" Nanne says, "what a dumbs**t." End of call.

wow! could you be any more transparent in your absolute disdain for coach brewster?! we get it. you don't like the guy. give it a rest.

Nanne specifically said Brewster was not behind this. He also said Brewster has no desire to go to Kansas.

And why do you keep saying it is coming out of Kansas? I'm not being a wiseguy, I'm serious. Everything coming out of Kansas says Brewster is not one of the 7 finalists. Was this story leaked anywhere else but the pioneer press? I'm not asking you to divulge premium info if you are getting that from a pay site. If that is the case just nod a couple times.

This is all getting too confusing for me. Time to take comfort in the sweet embrace of alcoholic coma.

Nanne specifically said Brewster was not behind this. He also said Brewster has no desire to go to Kansas.

You need to listen to it again because you are wrong. Nanne said Brewster's "friends" contacted the U. He didn't say who was behind it. Nor did he say Brewster had no desire to go there, he said, "I don't think there's any real desire for Brewster to go there." As in, Kansas declined to express any interest.

Schnoodler we enjoy your contributions, but could you just admit that it's possible that Lou would know on this one. There are many, many ways in which Lou could've been alerted.

I have admitted that it's possible this all has happened. But please, nanne knows nothing and said as much. Read the quotes above. just another guy who heard something from a guy who heard something from a guy.

I have no doubt something happened. I firmly believe an agent put out a feeler. What I doubt, is the slant that is being put on it.

Real professionals get info, and make decisions based off analysis. Brewster is a professional. His job is in doubt. There is an opening in Kansas that could be a fit. He'd be a fool not to find out more. I'm not doubting these things. What I'm doubting is that anybody really knows anything more than that. I object to the spin.

So, you are a guy that has questions about your job security. A job opens up that will offer you more longevity, by virtue of that, more money, and lastly, an environment where you may not be analyzed as pessimistically and short-sightledly - would you take a look?

So, you are a guy that has questions about your job security. A job opens up that will offer you more longevity, by virtue of that, more money, and lastly, an environment where you may not be analyzed as pessimistically and short-sightledly - would you take a look?

hell yes!

I tend to believe that the Kansas interest is being drummed up by Brewster or people close to Brewster as a ploy to get an extension. That said, I highley doubt that Nanne is any kind of insider with the Jayhawks and/or Brewster's friends. I'm sure Nanne is merely regurgitating what someone from inside the U told him. In actuality, if it went down the way that Nanne said, how would anyone inside the athletic department have any idea, except to guess. So my guess is that Nanne is just relaying the same rumor he heard.

Btw...Brewster actually might make sense to some Kansas supporters. He is a real positive guy who gets along with his players, seems to have some connections in the area (we get a lot of players from Missouri and some from Kansas), and he has ties to the Big12. Not that I think he would get hired, but he probably makes more sense for Kansas than any other program in the country.

Absolutely you do. That is what is so absurd about Maturi's position with Brewster. He won't extend him and he won't fire him. The lame duck option is the worse possible solution and leads to these situations, recruits leaving, constant negativity.

Absolutely you do. That is what is so absurd about Maturi's position with Brewster. He won't extend him and he won't fire him. The lame duck option is the worse possible solution and leads to these situations, recruits leaving, constant negativity.

exactly. do we really need any more proof of how clueless our AD really is?

i mean come on people! ;)

+1 Maturi needs to grow a pair and stand by his decision one way or another. Indecision is killing this program now.

+1 Maturi needs to grow a pair and stand by his decision one way or another. Indecision is killing this program now.

now? maturi has been the master of indecision since he took over the AD job. tubby smith basically fell into his lap. that was a lay-up for maturi. other than saying "hell yes" we will pay whatever it takes to land tubby smith when has joel maturi ever made a decisive decision? i don't recall any.

Indecision isn't killing this program. The inability to know what to do to re-energize this program is what's killing it. We've had 30+ years of "meh," and about half of those 30 years were just plain lousy.

I made a crack a couple of weeks ago, but I stick by it, if Brewster is out of here, we are going to in the same boat as the University of Indiana's program. Not patient enough to wait to turn the corner and going through coaches left and right. The fact that Mason stuck around as long as he did getting the Metrodome about half full is kind of astounding given what's been going on since he left.

now? maturi has been the master of indecision since he took over the AD job. tubby smith basically fell into his lap. that was a lay-up for maturi. other than saying "hell yes" we will pay whatever it takes to land tubby smith when has joel maturi ever made a decisive decision? i don't recall any.

You're preaching to the choir. (See my post in the Joel Maturi Tenure thread) Maturi's past failures are well documented. No use in dwelling on the past. I'm focused on the present example of indecision, that's all.

Indecision isn't killing this program. The inability to know what to do to re-energize this program is what's killing it. We've had 30+ years of "meh," and about half of those 30 years were just plain lousy.

I made a crack a couple of weeks ago, but I stick by it, if Brewster is out of here, we are going to in the same boat as the University of Indiana's program. Not patient enough to wait to turn the corner and going through coaches left and right. The fact that Mason stuck around as long as he did getting the Metrodome about half full is kind of astounding given what's been going on since he left.

Maturi has 3 choices:
1. Extend Brewster
2. Fire Brewster
3. Keep Brewster as a lame duck coach.

I listed them in the order of my preference. Unfortunately Maturi is taking the exact opposite approach. That's simply the point I'm trying to make.

This has always been simple to me. It requires talent and good coaching. If we brought in a known good coach it would still take time to acquire the talent. We have Brew, he is acquiring the talent. If he can't compete with them when we're ready at least he's acquired the talent. We still are alot closer. Bring in a new coach, two years later voilla!! contention.

The risk is so low to extend Brew. It's not like we're turning our wheels in the mud. Every year he's here we're more talented. How much would a big time University pay to go from the 60th best talent to the 30th? Way more than the buy out we might be saddled with if we extend Brewster now. The new coach comes in, who's a known good coach, and there we are. I don't understand the fence sitting. So low risk, just high reward. maybe I'm not seeing it clearly. In fact it's almost better, pay Brew his low salary to acquire the talent and then once the talent is in place then pay the big bucks. It's almost a win win to extend him.

This has always been simple to me. It requires talent and good coaching. If we brought in a known good coach it would still take time to acquire the talent. We have Brew, he is acquiring the talent. If he can't compete with them when we're ready at least he's acquired the talent. We still are alot closer. Bring in a new coach, two years later voilla!! contention.

The risk is so low to extend Brew. It's not like we're turning our wheels in the mud. Every year he's here we're more talented. How much would a big time University pay to go from the 60th best talent to the 30th? Way more than the buy out we might be saddled with if we extend Brewster now. The new coach comes in, who's a known good coach, and there we are. I don't understand the fence sitting. So low risk, just high reward. maybe I'm not seeing it clearly. In fact it's almost better, pay Brew his low salary to acquire the talent and then once the talent is in place then pay the big bucks. It's almost a win win to extend him.

no, you are seeing it VERY CLEARLY.......as usual. maturi is absolutely f-ing this up yet again.

Maturi has 3 choices:
1. Extend Brewster
2. Fire Brewster
3. Keep Brewster as a lame duck coach.

I listed them in the order of my preference. Unfortunately Maturi is taking the exact opposite approach. That's simply the point I'm trying to make.

100% correct. Maturi sitting on his hands is what is going to torpedo the program. He has to realize that he is an AD at a major conference school and make a big boy decision. I understand he would like to have the situation play out another year to help him decide but that isn't how the game is played.

Top Bottom