Brewster is behind the Kansas rumors

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
EDIT: Instead of all the other crap, I will just post what Nanne said on KFAN. Keep in mind Nanne is in SoCal and apparently had already gotten the scoop within hours after the twincities.com story:

Nanne: Well, uh, what I heard is that some friends of Brewster's have actually called Kansas. It wasn't Brewster's agent, it wasn't Brewster, but they called Kansas and see if they might have some interest in him but that's about the extent of it.

Barreiro: So you don't think this is going any where? You still expect Brewster to be back next year?

Nanne: Yeah, it's not going anywhere.

Then, Barreirro read Nanne Maturi's "can't guarantee" quote and Nanne says:

Nanne: (laughing in a disgusted kind of way) I'd say it's 99.9% percent that he's not going to Kansas.

More from Barreiro

Nanne: I don't think there's any real desire for Brewster to go there.

And then this Maturi quote from Youngblood this evening:

"I don't think it's inappropriate, if the coach is doing what he thinks is in his best interest," Maturi said from New York Tuesday.

Kansas has no interest in Brewster. Wait and see. When I heard the story, the first person I called was a guy I know who knows a ton of people over there. He said he hadn't heard anything but would bet anything Brewster was behind the story, trying to sell himself as being sought after. Granted, this guy does not like Brewster but literally 5 minutes after I hung up, Lou Nanne said on KFAN that there is NO STORY HERE. Brewster's friends were calling Kansas to try to drum up interest and there was none. Maturi is calling him out in public. This is going to blow up.

If Brewster's motive was to leverage the Kansas coaching vacancy into a contract extension at the "U" then I could see this backfiring in a significant way.:D

I would NOT put this maneuver beyond the Brew...:rolleyes:

Knowing what I know, Joel may be hoping to have this headache off his hands.

Well, if you're right then there's a couple things happening here:

1) Brewster wants out -or- it's a ploy for an extension

2) It's Mason-OSU all over again, and watch the fans/recruits dwindle from a program that needs support.

This cannot work out well.

Always nice when the cynics come back to Capistrano.

NO STORY HERE

Yes there is! Two professional people sparing in the media. Awesome for the program!

If true, and I'm not suggesting it is, Maturi has to seriously consider letting Brewster go. He'd essentially be torpedoing his own recruiting.

Very, very bad.

oh, you know a guy?!

thanks for adding intelligence to the conversation!

Nanne said this is a non-story on KFAN on my drive home. He said "Brewster's friends" called Kansas asking if they would be interested in his services.

Kansas has no interest in Brewster. Wait and see. When I heard the story, the first person I called was a guy I know who knows a ton of people over there. He said he hadn't heard anything but would bet anything Brewster was behind the story, trying to sell himself as being sought after.

I believe this 100 PERCENT. Because the last time "a guy" had information, I went online on Sunday and purchased non-refundable airline tickets to San Antonio.

I mean when "a guy" hasn't "heard anything", you can take it to the bank!

I wouldn't be surprised if Brewster wants out. I want out too! You people are nuts !!

I know right. A guy would know if he hasn't heard something right. Seems like a fact to me.

If true, and I'm not suggesting it is, Maturi has to seriously consider letting Brewster go. He'd essentially be torpedoing his own recruiting.

Very, very bad.

When does someone finally seriously consider letting Maturi go for the way he handles crap?

Dear Illiterates:

"The guy" I know knew nothing about the situation, it says so right in my post. His utter speculation, however, was confirmed by Lou Nanne on the public airwaves, as it also says right in my post. You just can't help yourselves can you?

Anyone want to challenge whether Lou Nanne is an insider in Gopher sports?

but the news isn't originating in gopher land. This is all happening in jayhawk land. How would Nanne know anything? He's just speculating just like anyone else.

Dear Illiterates:

"The guy" I know knew nothing about the situation, it says so right in my post. His utter speculation, however, was confirmed by Lou Nanne on the public airwaves, as it also says right in my post. You just can't help yourselves can you?

I love Lou, but he isn't exactly playing with a full deck of cards...

Dear Illiterates:

So your scoop was "a guy" who said the exact same thing that Lou Nanne stated publically on the radio for all to hear (and is now podcastable) more than an hour before you started this thread? Uhh...thanks for the insight?

I love Lou, but he isn't exactly playing with a full deck of cards...

You know what, that's fair. All I am saying is that Nanne stated it as fact: "some of Brewster's friends called up there to see if they had any interest and there was none... there is no story" or something to that effect. The interview is probably on the net. I have to say that Nanne, at least to me, sounded pretty disgusted as he related it. The whole Q&A on the subject lasted about 30 seconds.

So your scoop was "a guy" who said the exact same thing that Lou Nanne stated publically on the radio for all to hear (and is now podcastable) more than an hour before you started this thread? Uhh...thanks for the insight?

Was Nanne's comment posted somewhere else on here before I posted it?

Just curious but WTF does Lou Fing Nanne knows about the Gopher football coaching situation? Nothing more than you and I. Let's all move on and chill out until something from someone with any knowledge at all has insight on this.

but the news isn't originating in gopher land. This is all happening in jayhawk land. How would Nanne know anything? He's just speculating just like anyone else.

Is the news originating in Jayhawk land? I wasn't aware of that.

Is the news originating in Jayhawk land? I wasn't aware of that.

to me the news is originating in over creative imaginations. If this is going on, there is nobody at the UofM that knows anything. Phone calls are not being routed from Brewster through the U to Kansas. Any leak would come from there, not here. And from there, we get nothing.

there are no facts, except one feeler Doogie alluded too. Everything else is speculation. nobody knows anything. nobody knows if Brewster made contact, nobody knows if Perkins has any interest if he did. Nothing, nada. and yet so many people are experts with nothing to base their opinions on.

how would he know? What connections does he have to Kansas?

how would he know? What connections does he have to Kansas?

Schnoodler, you are seriously one of my favorite posters on this board, but you cannot be serious. There is a fraternity of about 50 guys that literally know everything that happens over there. Lou is one of them.

to me the news is originating in over creative imaginations. If this is going on, there is nobody at the UofM that knows anything. Phone calls are not being routed from Brewster through the U to Kansas. Any leak would come from there, not here. And from there, we get nothing.

there are no facts, except one feeler Doogie alluded too. Everything else is speculation. nobody knows anything. nobody knows if Brewster made contact, nobody knows if Perkins has any interest if he did. Nothing, nada. and yet so many people are experts with nothing to base their opinions on.

Let me just say that after reading this, I respect where you're coming from. We aren't having a difference of opinion. We are just viewing things from totally different prisms.

Brewster is not a proven coach, and Kansas has at least 7 candidates publicly announced on their wish list - none of them Brewster. I see no reason they would call him.

Brewster has failed to solidify an extension, appears to have a poor relationship with Maturi, and shot himself in the foot with his revolving coordinators/offensive schemes issues. Kansas would be a great opportunity to guarantee a job for more than a year, and start over with essentially the same level of a program.

This is the greatest/most tragic night of my Gopher fandom, I think. :)

Schnoodler, you are seriously one of my favorite posters on this board, but you cannot be serious. There is a fraternity of about 50 guys that literally know everything that happens over there. Lou is one of them.

At the U, I agree. if they were talking about somebody trying to get a job here, then I would listen. Or if an equivalent to Nanne from Kansas were chirping maybe then too. But this isn't news the U has they are trying to keep under wraps and it leaked to Nanne. This is stuff that is happening in kansas that involved our coach. And I don't think Brewster is telling anybody.

Unless nanne turned into god, he's guessing just like the rest. A more educated guess I'll grant. But who would leak this info, that it could get back to nanne? Perkins isn't talking, he'd be cutting his own throat. And nanne isn't a journalist, he hasn't schmoozed perkins secretary.

I'm not saying things aren't happening, I'm just saying we're assuming way too much. This is a closely guarded secret. Nobody is talking to anybody who would be squawking.

Top Bottom