Huff Sites Brewster Contract Status as Reason

akgopher

Reaction score
Kent Youngblood reported that Josh Huff stated that Brewster's contract situation and his desire to stay close to home as reasons to bailout of his verbal. That makes three verbals to change their minds this month.

Maturi can't extend Brewster considering how the Big Ten season played out this year. This reminds me of how Dan Monson never recovered from the Joe Krabbenhoft recruiting debacle.

There's the Florida AD philosophy that points to not waiting a year to make a coaching move when you know it's inevitable. But, the present financial situation would make paying two head coaches for the next two years a PR nightmare. The next coach is going to cost a lot of cash if Maturi survives as well. He needs to hit it out of the park like he did when hiring Tubby Smith.

Not a fun situation at the Bierman complex.

I thought this might come up

I thought this might come up and I was going to make a post about it. Kids got to wonder if Brewster is a lame duck. Other schools will be telling kids that say they like Brewster..."How do you know he is going to be there...how coach has a five year contract ...not coach Brewster." You know they are doing this and it is going to cost us players. I say extend him. I think he is smart enough to learn from his mistakes he made this year.

This is the first time I have ever heard a recruit talk about a coach's contract. And it is more than a little strange, considering Gary Patterson is not very likely to stick around TCU.

Next years recruiting is going to be lame. I just hope Brewster doesn't just fill spots. I'd rather he shorts the classes than ties up schollies. Give them to upperclassmen walk ons. When we win in 2011 he'll have three straight classes of 28 recruits. It will kick our ass in 2014-15, but that's a long way off.

Kent Youngblood reported that Josh Huff stated that Brewster's contract situation and his desire to stay close to home as reasons to bailout of his verbal. That makes three verbals to change their minds this month.

Maturi can't extend Brewster considering how the Big Ten season played out this year. This reminds me of how Dan Monson never recovered from the Joe Krabbenhoft recruiting debacle.

There's the Florida AD philosophy that points to not waiting a year to make a coaching move when you know it's inevitable. But, the present financial situation would make paying two head coaches for the next two years a PR nightmare. The next coach is going to cost a lot of cash if Maturi survives as well. He needs to hit it out of the park like he did when hiring Tubby Smith.

In situations like this, there are only two people to blame: Brewster and Maturi. If Brewster had conclusively shown that the program is moving in the right direction after three years, he would already have an extension. Alas, he has not done that which means no extension and the AD taking a wait-and-see approach to next season. Maturi on the other hand took a flier on a coach with no head coaching experience because he was a great recruiter. And with the team floundering badly down the stretch in all three of this coach's seasons, Maturi has now resorted to the "I'm going to be patient with a first-time coach" line despite willfully hiring said coach with no head coaching experience in the first place.

And now, we lose one of our top recruits because Brewster's job may not be on solid footing. Of course, the simple solution is to win more. More wins=extension for Brewster=more and better recruits down the line. But for now, this is the way it is.

I hope Lipscomb is still coming our way. And sooner rather than later.

Nothing new from my way. Last I heard he was still intending on being here, but I never heard when. He was unsure about the U's position on him though. With Huff in the works and Kirkwood, Brew might not have been real hot on maintaining that relationship with Hasan. I hope that isn't the case. I hat to bug the kid, but maybe I'll drop him a line and see what he has to say.

If we start getting lower tier recruiting classes on top of the DIII coaching ability of Brewster and company, God help us all.

Lipscomb is redshirting this year at a JC. He will be eligible to sign again after he graduates after next year with 3 years of eligibility left.

This is the first time I have ever heard a recruit talk about a coach's contract. And it is more than a little strange, considering Gary Patterson is not very likely to stick around TCU.

exactly. i'm calling bs on this. did youngblood ask a leading question to stay on brew's good side (because the beat writers are terrified of getting on his bad side, as he will make your life a living hell)? why weren't there any quotes? did he even really say that. brew has two years left on his contract, which is an eternity to a kid. there is no way i believe he said that.

now all you brew worshippers can go ahead and tell me how wrong i am, but i really won't care. because when brew is gone, all of this will come out, and you will realize what he really is. for now, you can keep on believing we made "trememdous" progress and we have.

The media's scared of Brewster? I'd laugh hard at this if the damage the media does to this program wasn't so brutal. Brewster did not choose to draw lines. This war was not created by the University of Minnesota or Tim Brewster. The media is an enemy of the program not because of Brewster but because they thought the position would sell more papers and get more clicks.

The media's scared of Brewster? I'd laugh hard at this if the damage the media does to this program wasn't so brutal. Brewster did not choose to draw lines. This war was not created by the University of Minnesota or Tim Brewster. The media is an enemy of the program not because of Brewster but because they thought the position would sell more papers and get more clicks.

i did not say the media, i said the beat writers. they are the ones that have to deal with the wrath everyday if he's pissed. and you have no idea how brew has alienated himself.

I've heard kids talk about a school's commitment to its football coach before. Maybe not as bluntly as this, but Huff is just saying the same thing that a lot of recruits being recruited by embattled coaches throughout the country may be thinking or paraphrasing.

It's real. It's a four to five year comittment you're making. For an athlete matching style to scheme is an important factor. It's a big deal if the coach isn't locked in. If you're regional in your recruiting like Wiscy is or we were prior to Brewster it's probably not as big a deal. This may be Maturi's error in thought. He doesn't believe in the two contract year mantra. Probably because every recruiting effort he's been involved in is regional. This is a different animal.

It's real. It's a four to five year comittment you're making. For an athlete matching style to scheme is an important factor. It's a big deal if the coach isn't locked in. If you're regional in your recruiting like Wiscy is or we were prior to Brewster it's probably not as big a deal. This may be Maturi's error in thought. He doesn't believe in the two contract year mantra. Probably because every recruiting effort he's been involved in is regional. This is a different animal.

Is the answer, then, that there is no "wait and see?" If there is no reason to give him an extension then there is no reason to keep him around at all?

why weren't there any quotes? did he even really say that. brew has two years left on his contract, which is an eternity to a kid. there is no way i believe he said that.

There were quotes. He mentioned Brewster's contract to both Zach Johnson and the guy that runs TCU's site.

Kids choose schools based on a coach's contract status all the time. Coaches make sure a kid is well aware of the fact that certain rival coaches are on the hot seat -- it's called negative recuiting. We have won recruiting battles with it. Why do you suppose we beat out Arizona for Broderick Smith? Because Mike Stoops had just completed year four without a bowl game and would have undoubtedly been fired if Arizona failed again in year five.

Christ, I recall losing a recruit to Michigan State last year -- I forgot who it was, but it must have been Jeremy Gainer -- because he was concerned about the Brewster-to-Tennessee rumors.

Is the answer, then, that there is no "wait and see?" If there is no reason to give him an extension then there is no reason to keep him around at all?

the answer is, there is no answer only risks, and pick your poison. Either recruiting takes a hit and the program pays the price four years later. or, the other answer is the U pays the price to protect the program and takes a financial hit if Brew can't get it done with a buy out. Risk.

There's no pretty solution. Ditch Brewster now, the program still takes a hit in recruiting and still has a two year buy out. Personally I redo Brewster deal and make it four years and take the financial hit if he fails. Are they comitted to the success of the football program or not. If they are put up the money.

i did not say the media, i said the beat writers. they are the ones that have to deal with the wrath everyday if he's pissed. and you have no idea how brew has alienated himself.

You might be right, but no ethical person can believe what you say when it's nothing but vague reference. If you're a true insider it's probably time to put a lid on it and if you're not, then tell the story and cite sources or quit wasting my time.

He's nobody. Who's that lame to be close enough to the source to know and post the crap on here? It's all musing of somebody who knows somebody who wipes somebodies ass somewhere. Or you wouldn't hear it.

It's been said that Brew's buyout is $800K. If that's true, that is NOTHING in college football dollars and finances and 'PR nightmare' should not be reasons to keep him around. UVa just paid Al Groh over $4 million to go away. How much did ND pay Charlie? $20 million? No one is going to complain about $800K to get rid of a coach most casual fans have long since given up on.

You prove you know nothing every time you post another comment. He has spurned several potential suitors over the course of several years.

Which "potential suitor" would have been a no-brainer for him to move to if only he weren't so in love with life in Fort Worth, Texas?

It's been said that Brew's buyout is $800K. If that's true, that is NOTHING in college football dollars and finances and 'PR nightmare' should not be reasons to keep him around. UVa just paid Al Groh over $4 million to go away. How much did ND pay Charlie? $20 million? No one is going to complain about $800K to get rid of a coach most casual fans have long since given up on.

This is a false statement. The media likes to portray Brewster as being a coach people have given up on but it is simply not true. Most reasonable people know He needs more time before his performance is judged.

Top Bottom