Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1

    Default Huff Sites Brewster Contract Status as Reason

    Kent Youngblood reported that Josh Huff stated that Brewster's contract situation and his desire to stay close to home as reasons to bailout of his verbal. That makes three verbals to change their minds this month.

    Maturi can't extend Brewster considering how the Big Ten season played out this year. This reminds me of how Dan Monson never recovered from the Joe Krabbenhoft recruiting debacle.

    There's the Florida AD philosophy that points to not waiting a year to make a coaching move when you know it's inevitable. But, the present financial situation would make paying two head coaches for the next two years a PR nightmare. The next coach is going to cost a lot of cash if Maturi survives as well. He needs to hit it out of the park like he did when hiring Tubby Smith.

    Not a fun situation at the Bierman complex.


  2. #2

    Default I thought this might come up

    I thought this might come up and I was going to make a post about it. Kids got to wonder if Brewster is a lame duck. Other schools will be telling kids that say they like Brewster..."How do you know he is going to be there...how coach has a five year contract ...not coach Brewster." You know they are doing this and it is going to cost us players. I say extend him. I think he is smart enough to learn from his mistakes he made this year.

  3. #3

    Default

    This is the first time I have ever heard a recruit talk about a coach's contract. And it is more than a little strange, considering Gary Patterson is not very likely to stick around TCU.

  4. #4

    Default

    Got a feeling this is going to get worse. Much worse.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    This is the first time I have ever heard a recruit talk about a coach's contract. And it is more than a little strange, considering Gary Patterson is not very likely to stick around TCU.
    Huh? Patterson just spurned Notre Dame and signed a 4 year extension through 2016 with TCU.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=ap&type=lgns

  6. #6

    Default

    Next years recruiting is going to be lame. I just hope Brewster doesn't just fill spots. I'd rather he shorts the classes than ties up schollies. Give them to upperclassmen walk ons. When we win in 2011 he'll have three straight classes of 28 recruits. It will kick our ass in 2014-15, but that's a long way off.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    3,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgopher View Post
    Kent Youngblood reported that Josh Huff stated that Brewster's contract situation and his desire to stay close to home as reasons to bailout of his verbal. That makes three verbals to change their minds this month.

    Maturi can't extend Brewster considering how the Big Ten season played out this year. This reminds me of how Dan Monson never recovered from the Joe Krabbenhoft recruiting debacle.

    There's the Florida AD philosophy that points to not waiting a year to make a coaching move when you know it's inevitable. But, the present financial situation would make paying two head coaches for the next two years a PR nightmare. The next coach is going to cost a lot of cash if Maturi survives as well. He needs to hit it out of the park like he did when hiring Tubby Smith.

    Not a fun situation at the Bierman complex.
    In situations like this, there are only two people to blame: Brewster and Maturi. If Brewster had conclusively shown that the program is moving in the right direction after three years, he would already have an extension. Alas, he has not done that which means no extension and the AD taking a wait-and-see approach to next season. Maturi on the other hand took a flier on a coach with no head coaching experience because he was a great recruiter. And with the team floundering badly down the stretch in all three of this coach's seasons, Maturi has now resorted to the "I'm going to be patient with a first-time coach" line despite willfully hiring said coach with no head coaching experience in the first place.

    And now, we lose one of our top recruits because Brewster's job may not be on solid footing. Of course, the simple solution is to win more. More wins=extension for Brewster=more and better recruits down the line. But for now, this is the way it is.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Pete View Post
    Huh? Patterson just spurned Notre Dame and signed a 4 year extension through 2016 with TCU.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...v=ap&type=lgns
    That's a lot of happy talk. Let's see what happens in 2010 and 2011.
    Last edited by Goldmember; 12-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    I hope Lipscomb is still coming our way. And sooner rather than later.

  10. Default

    .
    Last edited by counselor; 12-07-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Figured it out

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schnoodler View Post
    I hope Lipscomb is still coming our way. And sooner rather than later.
    has anyone heard anything about him lately?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    That's a lot of happy talk. Let's see what happens in 2010 and 2011.

    You prove you know nothing every time you post another comment. He has spurned several potential suitors over the course of several years.

  13. #13

    Default

    Nothing new from my way. Last I heard he was still intending on being here, but I never heard when. He was unsure about the U's position on him though. With Huff in the works and Kirkwood, Brew might not have been real hot on maintaining that relationship with Hasan. I hope that isn't the case. I hat to bug the kid, but maybe I'll drop him a line and see what he has to say.

  14. Default

    If we start getting lower tier recruiting classes on top of the DIII coaching ability of Brewster and company, God help us all.

  15. Default

    Lipscomb is redshirting this year at a JC. He will be eligible to sign again after he graduates after next year with 3 years of eligibility left.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoalvikings View Post
    If we start getting lower tier recruiting classes on top of the DIII coaching ability of Brewster and company, God help us all.
    Sad, funny, true.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlesbenjamin7 View Post
    You prove you know nothing every time you post another comment. He has spurned several potential suitors over the course of several years.
    Including Minnesota three years ago.

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    This is the first time I have ever heard a recruit talk about a coach's contract. And it is more than a little strange, considering Gary Patterson is not very likely to stick around TCU.
    exactly. i'm calling bs on this. did youngblood ask a leading question to stay on brew's good side (because the beat writers are terrified of getting on his bad side, as he will make your life a living hell)? why weren't there any quotes? did he even really say that. brew has two years left on his contract, which is an eternity to a kid. there is no way i believe he said that.

    now all you brew worshippers can go ahead and tell me how wrong i am, but i really won't care. because when brew is gone, all of this will come out, and you will realize what he really is. for now, you can keep on believing we made "trememdous" progress and we have.

  19. #19

    Default

    The media's scared of Brewster? I'd laugh hard at this if the damage the media does to this program wasn't so brutal. Brewster did not choose to draw lines. This war was not created by the University of Minnesota or Tim Brewster. The media is an enemy of the program not because of Brewster but because they thought the position would sell more papers and get more clicks.

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schnoodler View Post
    The media's scared of Brewster? I'd laugh hard at this if the damage the media does to this program wasn't so brutal. Brewster did not choose to draw lines. This war was not created by the University of Minnesota or Tim Brewster. The media is an enemy of the program not because of Brewster but because they thought the position would sell more papers and get more clicks.
    i did not say the media, i said the beat writers. they are the ones that have to deal with the wrath everyday if he's pissed. and you have no idea how brew has alienated himself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  










Get Adobe Flash player