Gopher sports vs anything else

16FeetUnder

Section 238
Reaction score
Wednesday I went to a local bar to watch the game and enjoy a night out with some friends. I got there at 6:30 and asked if they could switch one of the TVs to the Gopher's basketball game. They didn't even know there was a game on which upset me a little, but no big deal. I was watching the game intently until shortly after 7 when the channel got switched to the Wild game (this was right when the Gophers were on a good run and up by 4 or 5). I asked them to switch it back and they WOULD NOT DO IT! So I missed the end of the first half and the whole second half of the game.

This got me to thinking that it wasn't even a question in anyone's mind that the Wild game would be on the TV before the Gopher game. I proceeded to preach about how much better college sports are, but no one cared. Anyone else experience something like this?

Be glad you got to watch the good part of the game and weren't tortured with the pathetic effort in the second half. I would've rather watched the Wild.

Unless you were in a bar noted for being a "hockey" bar, it's pretty pathetic they wouldn't even let 1 TV remain on the Gopher game, especially knowing they had received your request.

I hope you left after they changed the channel back to the Wild game, and on your way out let them know they had just lost some future business. It's one of my pet peeves (about bars and games on TV), and part of the reason I hate watching games at bars. I don't like watching games with people I don't know, and a lot of times the crowd at bars is just a bunch of yahoos.

I can't speak to how it is now, as I haven't seen BTN #'s. But back in the MSC/FSN days, Gopher basketball crushed North Star/Wild ratings. There's no doubt in my mind that Gopher Basketball is more popular with the average MN sports fan then the Wild. Hockey fans are very passionate and pack the X, but those same 30-40K who regularly go to games also make up about 50% of the TV audience for the away games.

When I watch Gopher football games at Joe Senser's in Eagan there are always more screens showing the Nebraska and Notre Dame games.

I've never been in a situation where a bar has many TV's and turns ALL of them away from a Gopher b-ball game. I'd say it's time for you to find a new watering hole.

agreed with the above posters, that place sounds like a crappy place.

That or you need to find a bar that has more then 1 tv too......

What establishment was this? Might be a good place for Gophers fans to avoid.

Personally, I would have asked for my tab and left the bar...telling them they're losing business and showing them are two different things.

Also, Gopher basketball and football, even on the BTN, beats the ratings of the Wild easily. The Wild are typically lucky to have a 1.5 rating and 3 share, while Gopher basketball typically has between a 4 and a 5 rating and 12 share, even on BTN. Gopher football is typically higher locally, ranging around a 15 rating and 25 share.

I agree with what people are saying. I'll just say that it is a small place, and they did turn one TV on the far side (where I couldn't see) to the Gopher game after quite some time. They said the TVs were linked somehow and they had to be showing the same thing. That really wasn't the point of my post though.

Yeah it pisses me off too. I've got friends who have lived in this state their whole lives and wouldn't miss clipping their toe nails for any gopher sport. It's really kinda sick how little people care in this state. But I guess it makes sense. Most of them are a bunch of fair weather vikings fans any way so why would they give a rats big behind about D-1 college sports. Any year the vikings aren't 10-1 they don't care about them either.

Top Bottom