A "step back"? Comparing recruiting classes...

The Big L

Reaction score
This is mostly in response to Handsome Pete's comment that we have "taken a step back" in recruiting this year. I don't want to single him out, though, because many people have said this recruiting class has been a down class, or at least a worse class than last year.

I use the Rivals rating system to judge the classes. The star system is too simple, recruits are given another rating, usually in the 5.0-6.0 range (at least the recruits we are getting).

The 2008 class was a ranked class, and one of our best classes in a long while.
The average Rivals rating of our recruiting class was 5.58
Furthermore, 48% of the class was rated 5.5 or lower.

The 2009 class, as of today, has an average rating of 5.63. Also, only 22% of our recruits are rated 5.5 or below.

This also doesn't take into account players like Paige, McNeal, Carter, ect. who may sign for us, and will only raise these ratings.

It's true that we don't have as many 4-star players. But we may have more when signing time comes, and we are signing a smaller class. But looking at the numbers, you could argue that this class is just as strong, if not stronger, than the last class. Even if we have fewer top-rated recruits, the bulk of our recruiting class has improved. The majority of our recruits are mid to high three star, not low to mid. We are trending up. We also were in consideration for top recruits, and had a 5-star visit. Hell, when 4-star Stephens decommited for Texas Tech, most of us weren't upset by it!

If anything, I think we have taken a step forward with this recruiting class. Keep in mind we will have a new stadium to show off next season, a (hopefully) better atmosphere, and a winning team. Things are looking up, my friends.

good points. Its also important to remember that Rivals ranks classes based on their points. Rivals points system is crazy confusing but each player is giving a certain number of points. Some of the factors are if a guy's rated in the top 5 or 10 at his position, if he's in the top 100 or 250 or a top 25-50 Prep or Juco guy. Last year we had a highly rated prep guy and some top 50 JUCO guys which gave us some good points, plus we signed a large class which gave us a lot of points. Also, there is very little difference in points between mid rated guys. For example Allen is a 5.7 rated 3 star (high 3 star) who's the 51st best Athete. Keise is a 5.6 rated 3 star (mid 3 star) and the 96th receiver. Last year Brandon was a 5.4 3 star (very low) and unranked and Stoudemire was a 5.5 3 star (mid) and was the 85th best Athlete. There is very little difference between the points given for the 2 08 players and the 2 09 players, but its clear the 2 09 guys are better prospects (obviously I'm basing this on coming out of HS, not on the field play).

Point is that most of our recruits this year are mid to high 3 star guys, without the low 3 star and 2 star guys we had last year. However we don't currently have the higher rated guys that bring big chunks of points even though the class is overall more solid than last year

Top Bottom