Klay Thompson

andy

Reaction score
I call games for the University of Alaska-Anchorage, and last night UAA played Washington State here in the Great Alaska Shootout. Klay Thompson, 6-6 guard for the Cougars, and son of a certain famous Gopher, was a man among boys on the court.

How did this kid end up in Pullman? Watch the eye-popping stats this season, even against top competition. He is every bit the shooter and offensive threat as Stephon Curry, but is taller and stronger and can create his own shot easily.

Just curious if anyone here recalls which schools recruited Klay a couple of years ago... He would look awfully good in maroon and gold.

I call games for the University of Alaska-Anchorage, and last night UAA played Washington State here in the Great Alaska Shootout. Klay Thompson, 6-6 guard for the Cougars, and son of a certain famous Gopher, was a man among boys on the court.

How did this kid end up in Pullman? Watch the eye-popping stats this season, even against top competition. He is every bit the shooter and offensive threat as Stephon Curry, but is taller and stronger and can create his own shot easily.

Just curious if anyone here recalls which schools recruited Klay a couple of years ago... He would look awfully good in maroon and gold.

Minnesota recruited him but he declined their interest. He preferred to stay out West, I think.

Yeah -- I would have loved to get him. He has great genes!

Mychal Thompson was just dominating when he played for the Gophers and
one of my all time favorite players here. He was born in Nassau in the
Bahamas and played high school ball in Miami and was a bigtime recruit for us.
He led the team to a spectacular 24-3 season when he was a junior. It was a phenomenal team held back by probation and two losses to Michigan and one to Purdue. This was a team that lost two players (Olberding and Landsberger) who left school early to go the NBA, or they would have been even better. Many people think this would have been one of the all time greatest teams if they had stayed as they already had Thompson, Ray Williams (Knicks) Goose Lockhart (Globetrotters) Saunders and Kevin McHale (Celtics.)

Flip Saunders, the Gophers point guard at the time said when he heard the
beeds in Thompson's chain rattling, he knew it was time to get him the ball
because he was hustling for the basket!

Thompson was the only Gophers player ever to be taken #1 in the NBA draft
when he was selected by the Portland TrailBlazers and enjoyed a nice career
out there.

Minnesota recruited him but he declined their interest. He preferred to stay out West, I think.

What interest?

He took official visits to Michigan and Notre Dame, so I don't think he was that opposed to leaving the west.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised he didn't end up at UCLA or Arizona or get recruited by a big name team elsewhere. Maybe he was a late bloomer, physically. But by mid-season this year he will be recognized as one of the truly elite players in the nation, count on it!

What interest?

He took official visits to Michigan and Notre Dame, so I don't think he was that opposed to leaving the west.

Minnesota contacted him in the recruiting process. Ultimately he preferred to stay out West.

Hello there! My name is Dale and I thought I would reply to this thread because i know a little bit about what you are asking. I love in Spokane and am a WSU fan and soo to be student (after i finish my Community College). Anyways Klay had intrest from a few schools, Washington State(obviously), Michigan, Notre Dame, Pepperdine (His older brother playes there currently), and Nevada. Klay, when asked on television last season (08' - 09') mentioned really wanting to attend either USC or UCLA, but recieved no intrest from those schools. We are so lucky to get such a great player and the Northwest is VERY proud! I hope that answers your questions!

Thanks,
Dale

Hello there! My name is Dale and I thought I would reply to this thread because i know a little bit about what you are asking. I love in Spokane and am a WSU fan and soo to be student (after i finish my Community College). Anyways Klay had intrest from a few schools, Washington State(obviously), Michigan, Notre Dame, Pepperdine (His older brother playes there currently), and Nevada. Klay, when asked on television last season (08' - 09') mentioned really wanting to attend either USC or UCLA, but recieved no intrest from those schools. We are so lucky to get such a great player and the Northwest is VERY proud! I hope that answers your questions!

Thanks,
Dale

:clap:

Whats amazing is that he did not transfer after Tony left... We all thought he would.

Top Bottom