O-line

gold04

Reaction score
Next year our O-line could be huge. Our starters and most of our reserves after another year of getting bigger and stronger will be 300 pounds or more. For Adam Weber it might be like having the great Wall of China in front of him.

Yeah, it is lookin that way isn't it. I just wish I knew where guys were practicing, or where we can find an up to date depth chart. The one player inparticular is Carufel. Everything I have read or seen has him at LT, but someone posted on here that he is practicing at RG. I'm really starting to warm up to him at RG over LT where I was really high on him being.

There are still a couple spots up for grabs though. I don't think Alford has the LT spot in ink. A couple of MY "insider" sources (don't read into that, just some die hard fans that have season tix and have some friends close to the program) say that they think Ed Olson is physically ready to come in and play right away.

*Take that with a grain of salt...and a shot of Petrone

I think there are more questions/battles for starting spots if Carufel plays LT.

*With him at RG

LT-Alford (I don't see Ed taking this spot)
LG-Up for grabs between Bunders & Orton. Possibly Burris, but I think he should be at Center where he was recruited
C-JTA (I want to put Burris, but I think the incumbent will hold his spot)
RG-Carufel (...nice)
RT-Wills (The jury is out, but I know everyone of us has high hopes for this guy)

Now if Carufel plays LT, I think all of the interior spots are up for grabs. I know injuries played a big part, but I would like to see more consistency of players starting than last year.

-That's all I got

Burris

I wondered if they would stick Burris at center this Spring to see how he does. He had a good Freshmen year and I'm not entirely sold yet on Tow or Davis at center. I think Dominic struggled so much this year because of his ankle problems. Next year I think he'll do very good. I do think an O-line of Dom, Ned, Burris, Caurfel, and Willis would be very big and very good.

I don't want any true frosh OL playing unless they're clearly the best player at that spot. Frosh can occasionally get the QB killed

I don't want any true frosh OL playing unless they're clearly the best player at that spot. Frosh can occasionally get the QB killed

Frosh OL = Frequent Stagnation

No matter who is starting we will still be a very yound OL.

We need to rotate to build depth and not have the late season collapse.

I hope none of the FR redshirt and we play 8-9 OL every game.

No matter who is starting we will still be a very yound OL.

We need to rotate to build depth and not have the late season collapse.

I hope none of the FR redshirt and we play 8-9 OL every game.

I understand your thinking, and part of me really wants to agree with you. However, I think we need to continue to keep these core lineman together. Obviously if someone is younger, but better, you have to play them. I just want to keep what continuity that we have with our big guys. Trust and cohesion are two of the most important things with the O line. If you rotate 8-9 guys I don't think we you can achieve that.

I understand your thinking, and part of me really wants to agree with you. However, I think we need to continue to keep these core lineman together. Obviously if someone is younger, but better, you have to play them. I just want to keep what continuity that we have with our big guys. Trust and cohesion are two of the most important things with the O line. If you rotate 8-9 guys I don't think we you can achieve that.

With injuries and young guys wearing down...we wont have a starting five the same all year no matter what...so as long as we know we need to use 8 0r 9, I say plan for it. That way we can have these guys all feel comfortable with each other and not have the big drop off late in the year when one goes down to an injury.

As a former RT, I can say that cohesion and trust are important, but health and ability always win out.

Some of both...

I agree that you need cohesion and there should be a primary group that comes together (barring injury of course) and gets most of the snaps. But you also need to develop talent and get the backups some experience so that they are ready to step in when needed.

Interesting "insight" into this topic is that Kent on the Strib has relayed the new 2-deeps released by the team. Certainly this doesn't set anything in stone for next year, but here is the OL for the Insight Bowl
LT - Jason Meinke
LG - Ryan Wynn
C - Trey Davis
RG - Ned Tavale
RT - Matt Stommes
So a couple of juniors who have toiled in anonymity have been picked by Tim Davis. Interesting!

Top Bottom