Weber rated second-best QB in Big Ten

Weber

I know there are MN fans who are not big Weber fans, but I think next year Weber will have a huge year. His O-line, recievers and RB will be much better net year.

If we ever get Weber behind a Big Ten-caliber offensive line, he will be scary good.

Weber is more than capable already. One very nice attribute he posseses is that not once
did he whine or complain about injuries, his own and others, or his pitiful lack of protection.
With time to throw and one more good target he'll be tough to defend.

I've said all year that if you switch Weber with a guy like Reesing there will be no drop off. Weber is an excellent QB who had all of 1 weapon to throw to or hand off to and had a pourous, terrible OL. He was by far our best offensive player and was almost single-handedly responsible for most of our points. Still people complain about him. He was only a sophomore and definitely wasn't a finished product but he's already pretty good with room to grow

Gray has the potential to be > Weber, but Weber is really good. Like others have said if he gets a Big 10 OL look out. I know he will have more weapons next year so if the OL gets it done we are at least 8-4 during the regular season.

Watch any of his highlight reels and tell me how many times the ball hit the receiver in the numbers.

his major flaw is having DEs in his back pocket every play;)

Watch any of his highlight reels and tell me how many times the ball hit the receiver in the numbers.

It's a highlight reel. It is supposed to show him in a positive light.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I would like to see an open competition for every position on the field at every practice and the best player gets playing time.

Even if Gray has more talent there are growing pains that go along with learning and executing an offense so it is unlikely to he will be better from day one. However, if he is good enough to unseat Weber from the starter role the whole team is better off because a better player is on the field.

lol

you're really using a junior yr high school highlight tape to say why Gray is a better QB? Seriously? Its a compilation of his best plays, of course he'll look great. Are you really that clueless? Pryor was the most hyped QB in years and he was no where near as good as Weber last year. Being a great athlete doesn't automatically make you a great QB. In two years Gray may be a beast and much better than Weber but there is no way of knowing how good he'll be next year and I'm guessing he won't be very good as a true frosh and certainly not better than a 3rd year starter, 2nd team all conference QB.

Gray might be a little rusty, he didn't play on a team last year (this year, whatever) and he was hurt for a lot of his senior season in HS.

A bird in the hand boys and girls, a bird in the hand.

Gray and Alipate will be right where they should be next year, on the sideline.

Don't forget Brew is adding a "power running game" to the offense, with the QB under center. Supposedly the Spread Offense was difficult to learn and combined with the new running game means a lot to learn for any young qb. Weber will be the qb next year-maybe we will see Pittman (Slash) for some plays. Gray will be great but not right away and with Weber around no sense to rush him.

I do see Weber playing on Sundays.

his major flaw is having DEs in his back pocket every play;)
Actually I was thinking more about the non-conference games -- where my point (listed below) is far more noticeable.

It's a highlight reel. It is supposed to show him in a positive light.
you're really using a junior yr high school highlight tape to say why Gray is a better QB? Seriously? Its a compilation of his best plays, of course he'll look great. Are you really that clueless?
No, "oleboy", you are the one who's "clueless". I wasn't referring to highlight reels of Gray, I was referring to Weber.

Throughout the first four non-conference games (and I'm using them as reference due to the fact that our OL couldn't stop Big Ten defenses - therefore the pass rush is a legitimate excuse - not to mention that the flaws are far easier to see against second rate defenders) it was Weber who couldn't seem to hit his receivers in the numbers. Look at any given pass play to Decker or another receiver and you'll see all of them slowing down to catch the ball, or stopping and lunging forward to catch it before it hit the ground. Weber is not very accurate. He's much improved from his freshman year, and maybe -- just maybe -- he'll start as a junior. But I'd be shocked if he's not the back-up come senior year.

And a side note -- didn't Gray come from a similar spread offense? Someone said he'd need time to learn it, but I thought he's already familiar with the basics.

At any rate, in my opinion, Weber is over-rated -- and that's the only argument that really needs to be made in this thread. Come next year, we'll see both QB's play, and only then can we really discuss who's better or not.

At any rate, in my opinion, Weber is over-rated --QUOTE]

according the magpie QB rating system...strange I don't here these things from our coaches, other coaches, press, players - all those idiots that voted him second team all big ten...and foolishly left off that kid from tOSU....

If weber was playing at tOSU...they would be playing for a National Championship this year. JMHO.

Coaching predictions are about as accurate as weather "forecasts". But hey, an opinion is just an opinion. We'll see what's reality when it hits. For now, I stand by my right to an opinion.

Hitting receivers in the numbers is not what a QB usually wants to do. If you described it as hitting the receivers in stride, I might be more with you. Usually, a QB doesn't want to throw the ball in the numbers because it is one of the hardest catches to make. Yes, there are times when that is the correct throw, but most of the time the throw is to where the receiver has the best chance to catch the ball and the defender has the least chance to intercept - and it is always where the hands can be, not the numbers on front of the jersey.

It was a figure of speech bro -- implying that there's an ideal place to throw a ball on each given pass play, and using "the numbers" as a reference to that place.

Actually I was thinking more about the non-conference games -- where my point (listed below) is far more noticeable.

No, "oleboy", you are the one who's "clueless". I wasn't referring to highlight reels of Gray, I was referring to Weber.

Throughout the first four non-conference games (and I'm using them as reference due to the fact that our OL couldn't stop Big Ten defenses - therefore the pass rush is a legitimate excuse - not to mention that the flaws are far easier to see against second rate defenders) it was Weber who couldn't seem to hit his receivers in the numbers. Look at any given pass play to Decker or another receiver and you'll see all of them slowing down to catch the ball, or stopping and lunging forward to catch it before it hit the ground. Weber is not very accurate. He's much improved from his freshman year, and maybe -- just maybe -- he'll start as a junior. But I'd be shocked if he's not the back-up come senior year.

And a side note -- didn't Gray come from a similar spread offense? Someone said he'd need time to learn it, but I thought he's already familiar with the basics.

At any rate, in my opinion, Weber is over-rated -- and that's the only argument that really needs to be made in this thread. Come next year, we'll see both QB's play, and only then can we really discuss who's better or not.

Funny that such an innaccurate QB could have such a high completion percentage with so few weapons. Obviously he can get better but he also made a ton of great throws with guys in his face and on the run

Weber may have been the "second-best" QB in the Big Ten, but the Big Ten QB's this season were awful. I too think Weber is overrated here on this board. Sure he doesn't have an O-line, but I have never been impressed with his accuracy, and I still think he doesn't check off his options enough.

He is still a very solid QB, just not as great as some people here think. I like the guy because he fights for every yard, seems to be a leader, and never complains.

Besides, QB is one of our last problems. Let's discuss the running game first, shall we?

agree with magpie

Gray is better than Weber. The sooner he is starting the better off this team will be. Weber is good and adequate but we need better than good and need to gamble on gray's playmaking even if its early. 3rd year starter and 2nd all conference does not mean much. It certainly does not trump talent.

Weber may have been the "second-best" QB in the Big Ten, but the Big Ten QB's this season were awful.

He is still a very solid QB, just not as great as some people here think. I like the guy because he fights for every yard, seems to be a leader, and never complains.

agree completely, Weber is a warrior and I love him but I see Gray as this teams best option and Brew may not have time to wait on Weber to graduate before handing the reins to Gray.

I would be very surprised if Gray started in 2009. If he does, it means he's a very, very smart kid, or Weber got hurt. The real battle should be in 2010 when Gray knows the system and it comes down to who is best QB on the team.

Gray should take some snaps next year like Leak/Tebow and then battle for starter in 2010

Top Bottom