Anyone know or have any idea

calminnfan

Reaction score
how many scholarships Brew has left to work with?

Given that, I am not sure Lewan may be that big a need for the OL, though the talent would be nice!

The Gophers still could use 1-2 DBs; 1-2 DL; 1 WR and 1 RB in that order as far as I can tell.

Personally, if they are not able to get the top talent, I would think they could set a few aside and have available for next year rather then load up on warm bodies to fill the bench!

Are you talking about the Michigan prospect, Taylor Lewan?

Yes...Considering he has 4 OL recruits coming and Carufal eligible next year to go along with 11 others already on the roster for next year at the OL position, players wise, it is not a position of great need! Especially since those who played this year will be presumably older and wiser, and with Davis, possibly better coached!

what are you saying about Lewan? Do you know something we don't know...is he considering changing his mind and coming here? What do you know Calm?

what are you saying about Lewan? Do you know something we don't know...is he considering changing his mind and coming here? What do you know Calm?

Specifically about Lewan...nothing at all!

My point was simply that Brew will have around 16 OLmen on the team beginning Spring practice, with most simply needing maturity as players. Lewan would make 17! OL is not our area of need depth wise. We can add one or two next year and still be fine.

I do, I think it's kind of cheesy. I think the kid is OK with it. What happens if this staff moves on, is there any guarantee that he'll have the scholarship with a new regime? Does the staff even have to offer him a scholarship 2nd semester?

I agree losing Lewan is not that big of a hit THIS year. People who think a true freshman is going immediately tighten up your problems on the OL are nuts. A new coach, healthy players, another year of growth and weight training mixed with a couple upper classmen transfering in might do the trick though.

As for banking the schollies, not going to happpen. You give those schollies to the best recruits you can find and/or walk ons who've earned one.

how many scholarships Brew has left to work with?

Given that, I am not sure Lewan may be that big a need for the OL, though the talent would be nice!

The Gophers still could use 1-2 DBs; 1-2 DL; 1 WR and 1 RB in that order as far as I can tell.

Personally, if they are not able to get the top talent, I would think they could set a few aside and have available for next year rather then load up on warm bodies to fill the bench!

1. 5
2. Lewan could have been a big piece 2010 and on. Not in '09. If any chance he could change his mind, we should take him. But we'll be fine in any case. Big ones coming in again in '10. In '09 Carufel and Wills start and dominate, we have much better depth next year. The O line is back to at least effective run and pass with Coach Davis. We'll have some 'insight,' but not a preview, in a few days. Most likely to be very very good '09. I year of real S&C doesn't do it on the O line either.
3. 1-CB (Paige)/4 star, 1-DE (Eguae)/very high 3 star, 1-WR (McNeal)/4 star, 1-RB (unknown, but undoubtedly a very high 3 star or better), 1-S or LB (I want it to be Carter)/4 star.
4. There will be no warm bodies, there will be no vacant scholarships. Remember that effectively, Carufel, Royston, Pittman, Cooper, Whaley, Combs, Reeves, Maresh, Gray and others are '09 with a head start. There is big stuff Brewin' in Gopher Nation.
5. Diehards cred-? None. Just Brewin' my own kool-aid! Each year the recruiting will get progressively better. Believe it or not. Go Campion! Go Gophers!
Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom