Gophers #18 in 2009 Early Bird rankings

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Nationalchamps.net has done these for about a decade now, giving a little glimpse into the future before the current season is over. A lot of it is based on projected returning starters, but regardless, it's nice to get some love....

2009 Early Bird Preview

Interesting....Maybe other people are more optomistic about the Gophers FB future than so-called Gopher fans are. I think it is awesome. Thanks Jike.

I think that's a tad premature. I think we'll be a much better team with many returning players, better coaches, and more talent, but 18 in the country? I think we play better as underdogs.

2 spots ahead of california. there is no doubt we will have plenty of experienced starters next year.

2 spots ahead of california. there is no doubt we will have plenty of experienced starters next year.

Is it just me or does that sound like the first night game, and the first nationally televised game at The Vault?

I agree

I think we'll win al least 8 games next year. We should be very good next year.

I think we'll win al least 8 games next year. We should be very good next year.

What's intersting ... Even assuming #18 in the country, there are 6-8 games against similar strength opponents, or stronger.

This is the first season I ever remember where the team will have to play at a Top 25 level almost every week just to have a shot at winning.

This is a major change in the program (as big as the new stadium). The team has to be able to compete at the highest level in the sport next year. Improvment is not going to just be enjoyable ... it is going to be crucial.

Senior lead team

Next year this team will have a ton of seniors and I think it's going to make a big difference. I think next year our team will be the best Gopher team I have ever seen. I go way back to Lou Holtz. I know Mase had two years where he had top 20 teams. I think next year's team will be better. They definetly will be deeper then those two teams. Go Gophers.

Next year this team will have a ton of seniors and I think it's going to make a big difference. I think next year our team will be the best Gopher team I have ever seen. I go way back to Lou Holtz. I know Mase had two years where he had top 20 teams. I think next year's team will be better. They definetly will be deeper then those two teams. Go Gophers.

Though there are more seniors next year than this year, I don't think there are all that many next year either. Some one throw the numbers at us if you would. I don't feel like looking it up.

GOLD04 What's it like being an old timer?

Cal

Is it just me or does that sound like the first night game, and the first nationally televised game at The Vault?

I'm so excited for the game times for the home schedule to start coming out. Cal at night would be amazing. I really hope for a traditional day game against the AFA, and following that up with a night game would be perfect.

For the record, I'm a believer that "The Vault" makes the most sense and will be commonly picked up by the casual fan. I'm all for it. If some other nickname comes about naturally, that would be even better, but arguing which nickname should be put on a new stadium is a little rediculous.

Though there are more seniors next year than this year, I don't think there are all that many next year either. Some one throw the numbers at us if you would. I don't feel like looking it up.

GOLD04 What's it like being an old timer?

According to this scholarship grid here, LINK, we had 11 seniors this year, to 25 juniors. So it looks like we're gonna have about 25 seniors on the team next season.

I really hope "The Vault" does not catch on.

I agree. No stadium nickname should be based on the corporate sponsor. Mostly because you would have to change the nickname if sponsorship changes, but also because all of the ones that I've heard so far based on TCF Bank have been terrible.

The best nicknames deal with the experience, locale or phsyical structure of the stadium, not the name itself. ("Death Valley", "Between the Hedges", "Happy Valley", "The Big House", "The Horse Shoe", "The Swamp", "The Jungle" come to mind.)

However, if/when we start to keep our rivalry trophies year after year after year and keep them at the stadium, then "the vault" would make sense. Especially, if we add a few Big Ten and National championship trophies to the mix.

Seniors

Next year we'll by far have a lot more seniors then we have had in a long, long time. If you go on Gophersports we have 35 juniors. We won't have 35 seniors next year but probably more then 25I'm tellin you, this team should be very good next year. I'd be suprised if we didn't win at least 8 games. I predicted 8 wins this year and we will accomplish that with a win over Kansas, so 10 wins next year would not be a huge suprise.

i know that this kind of poll is premature, but they are noticed by the people who do the pre-season rankings. it cannot be stressed how important a win at the insight bowl will be for us coming into next year--it could mean a pre-season ranking (which actually kind of scares me).

Agree

I told my brother the same thing. If the Gophers beat Kansas there is a good chance they could be ranked at the start of the season in 2009.

Top Bottom