Joey Searcy

paulser21

Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recr...ng/tracker/player?recruitId=60426&season=2009

At first I thought the Searcy commit was kind of blah. I hadn't really heard much about him and we had some other commits at the same time which came with a little bit more hooplah. I just got a chance to watch the above video on him and came away pretty impressed. His awareness was great. He never seemed to lose track of the ball carrier or the QB and continued pursuit. He also holds up against blocks (double and triple teamed alot) well.

Check it out.

He was overshadowed by getting two high profile Minnesota kids to commit the same weekend but this is an area of need. College football teams need to add at least one elite DT in every class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recr...ng/tracker/player?recruitId=60426&season=2009

At first I thought the Searcy commit was kind of blah. I hadn't really heard much about him and we had some other commits at the same time which came with a little bit more hooplah. I just got a chance to watch the above video on him and came away pretty impressed. His awareness was great. He never seemed to lose track of the ball carrier or the QB and continued pursuit. He also holds up against blocks (double and triple teamed alot) well.

Check it out.

I can definately see what the coaches and the scouts see...he has good size and decent vision. Needs to work on his hips and leg drive...but that is typical of HS DTs. If he can improve his technique and play with a mean streak...he could be very good. I love his lateral movement and pursuit...seems quick in the middle.

Yes, yes. He's angular, competes until the whistle and has a thick bubble.

Let's hope we hold onto him because the rumor is he's still shopping around a bit.

Let's hope we hold onto him because the rumor is he's still shopping around a bit.

Really, where did you hear that? I have heard that the real problem with him is his grades. I really hope we get him though, would be great in the middle with Edwards when Brown is gone.

Bubble

Thick Bubble=Big Ass...sort of. It implies that the player has some size in what is considered the center of gravity, hips and butt area and upper thighs. Means he would be hard to push around since he has mass there. Some people include the lower belly in this term, some don't. Usually only used to refer to O and D lineman. Kirby Puckett, if he had played football, would have had a thick bubble. Sort has become a joke term, bit of a throw away.

Really, where did you hear that? I have heard that the real problem with him is his grades. I really hope we get him though, would be great in the middle with Edwards when Brown is gone.

I also heard that he was considering taking a look at another school or two but if I remember correctly the potential OV's that he was considering are of a lower pedigree than Minnesota.

This sounds like the NFL Draft guru Marty Wexler that KFAN has on every year. It's a bit because the guy makes up stuff like "toe grip" and "3 yard dash" when talking about prospects.

One should never underestimate the value of toe grip.

"Yes, yes. He's angular, competes until the whistle and has a thick bubble."

I was actually just bored and poking fun at the perceived cliches and draft speak the posters before me left. I tried to up the ante so to speak and had t dip into my bag of puzzling Kiper-isms. "Thick bubble"....I remember letting that one slide the first couple times I heard it, then asking my friend "Does it sound like he's saying he's got a nice ass to you?". My friend died laughing and said he'd been thinking the exact same thing. "Angular"..I still have no frickin idea what that one means. but when in doubt it's a go-to adjective for me since no one else understands either so it makes me sound superior. "Plays until the whistle" is just a space filler I guess. Really, to describe the body type of 250 guys you have to get creative I guess.

Let's have some suggestions we can send Kiper for the upcoming NFL Draft. I'll start with.......

1) Tubular. i.e. "At 345lb, he's a tubular DT with great fast-twitch"
2) Robust. i.e. "He plays very robust like NFL GM's want in their O-Linemen."
3) Cranberry eyes. i.e. "He's got a great arm, but has cranberry eyes so he tends to lock in on receivers. He'll have to work on that to succeed at the next level."

Your turn....

"Yes, yes. He's angular, competes until the whistle and has a thick bubble."

I was actually just bored and poking fun at the draft speak some posters like to use. I tried to up the ante in this thread so to speak and had to dip into my bag of puzzling Kiper-isms.

* "Thick bubble"....I remember letting that one slide the first couple times I heard it, then asking my friend "Does it sound like he's saying he's got a nice ass to you?". My friend died laughing and said he'd been thinking the exact same thing.
* "Angular"..I still have no frickin idea what that one means. but when in doubt it's a go-to adjective for me since no one else understands either so it makes me sound superior.
* "Plays until the whistle" is just a space filler I guess. Really, to describe the body type of 250 guys in two days you have to get creative I guess?

Let's have some suggestions we can send Kiper for the upcoming NFL Draft. I'll start with.......

1) Tubular. i.e. "At 345lb, he's a tubular DT with great fast-twitch"
2) Robust. i.e. "He plays very robust like NFL GM's want in their O-Linemen."
3) Cranberry eyes. i.e. "He's got a great arm, but has cranberry eyes so he tends to lock in on receivers. He'll have to work on that to succeed at the next level."

Your turn....

Toe grip is always a fav...

Sounds like he cut holes in his socks ans shoes so he could get extra traction. Anybody remember the guy who told PA and duBay that Johnny Cain from South Dakota, a fictional player and former KFAN on-air guy, was on some boards as a mid-second round guy?

Top Bottom