Leon

While watching a game this year I remember the announcers saying that it is usually recruiting the year after the miserable year that takes the worst hit. I think that may have something to do with the slow time we are looking at now. This is still a good class.

I'm kind of new to the Gopher hole...is Handsome Pete a Gopher fan? I have read enough of his posts that I'm not sure. He doesn't usually have anything good to say and most of the time he is completely wrong. Just wondering.

According to Leon himself he does have an offer from USC and I am guessing Rivals may not have updated his profile yet. In regards to the quality of the class we should be around # 30 nationally however we will still only be 5th or 6th in the Big Ten which is still a little frustrating.

The big10 is recruiting very well this year with the emergence of MSU. Michigan, OSU, and PSU are allways going to bring in good classes based on reputations, and the Zooker can recruit as well as anyone. I expect to see Illinois, Michigan, PSU, and OSU at the top of the big10 almost every year, I'm not sold on MSU consistently being up there though. At least Brewster is keeping us in range of the top schools and ahead of the bottom half. If things stay as they are today Brewster will have finished ahead of Iowa and Wisconsin both years.

I'm kind of new to the Gopher hole...is Handsome Pete a Gopher fan? I have read enough of his posts that I'm not sure. He doesn't usually have anything good to say and most of the time he is completely wrong. Just wondering.

You must be new because I'm one of the only gopher fans on this board. About 90% of the posters here have what psychologists call, "unconditional positive regard." They think the gophers, players and coaches are just super no matter what, even when there are obvious errors being made. It is also called "Mason Syndrome" because everyone seems to be completely fine with being completely mediocre. Hope this helps.

You must be new because I'm one of the only gopher fans on this board. About 90% of the posters here have what psychologists call, "unconditional positive regard." They think the gophers, players and coaches are just super no matter what, even when there are obvious errors being made. It is also called "Mason Syndrome" because everyone seems to be completely fine with being completely mediocre. Hope this helps.

This should tell you everything you need to know about Handome pete.

On the old board there was a button you could click to "ignore" posters. Did we lose that option? This Handsome Pete and his silly "hope this helps" tags are really annoying. PLEASE tell me we can ignore posters.

fill us in on some of the obvious errors

i crave your knowledge

fill us in

Going from 7 four stars to 3 is a problem when we arguably have much more to sell after showing legitimate improvement on the field. Granted, some of those 2008 guys didn't qualify, but at least they picked the U. For 2009, these top-rated guys are looking at the U and saying "no thanks" whereas a year ago, after we went 1-11 mind you, they were saying "yes please." That is a HUGE step back in my opinion and perhaps evidence Brewster's rah rah message is becoming stale. Believe me, I hope I am dead wrong and would love to eat crow on every syllable I've written here. Leon is a guy that likely would have landed here last year (see Traye Simmons) and this year he thinks Oregon is a better option. Then again, maybe this shows that automatic playing time is no longer guaranteed here because we've improved in personnel? Hmmm... Anyway, hope this helps.

Oregon is a great option for him in terms of playing time. Our corners are set in Jarius Byrd and WTIII. TJ Ward is one of our safetys, but now that Patrick Chung has graduated, there's a big hole at the rover position. We really don't have anyone very fit for that spot. Leon would most likely start for Oregon next year.

Glad you cleared this up - It sure helped

Going from 7 four stars to 3 is a problem when we arguably have much more to sell after showing legitimate improvement on the field. Granted, some of those 2008 guys didn't qualify, but at least they picked the U. For 2009, these top-rated guys are looking at the U and saying "no thanks" whereas a year ago, after we went 1-11 mind you, they were saying "yes please." That is a HUGE step back in my opinion and perhaps evidence Brewster's rah rah message is becoming stale. Believe me, I hope I am dead wrong and would love to eat crow on every syllable I've written here. Leon is a guy that likely would have landed here last year (see Traye Simmons) and this year he thinks Oregon is a better option. Then again, maybe this shows that automatic playing time is no longer guaranteed here because we've improved in personnel? Hmmm... Anyway, hope this helps.

How could his message be becoming stale? It is the first time any of these recruits heard it.

According to Leon himself he does have an offer from USC and I am guessing Rivals may not have updated his profile yet. In regards to the quality of the class we should be around # 30 nationally however we will still only be 5th or 6th in the Big Ten which is still a little frustrating.

He doesn't have a USC offer and he never did. USC is interested and they asked him to come on a visit. From what little of USC's recruiting I have watched, they generally give offers on the visit.

The Big Ten is recruiting much better this year--particularly Michigan State--but if you combine our class last year with this year and compare it we'd still probably be 4th (OSU, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota).

Just curious - does anyone (Grunk, maybe) understand the Rivals numbers well enough to project what the 09 class would be if they included Maresh, Reeves and Gray?

My best guess is 23-25 because it would look pretty similar to the classes in that range. That would place us right next to Illinois so you can consider a tie for 5th in the Big Ten.

Thanks, Grunkie

Originally Posted by Handsome Pete
Going from 7 four stars to 3 is a problem when we arguably have much more to sell after showing legitimate improvement on the field.

Handsome - there is still plenty of time left in the recruiting process. You seem to forget that the 4-stars usually wait till later to commit. They can afford to, because whoever offers them will keep a slot open until they commit to somebody. And maybe longer if they think they can still pry the kid away... The Gophers have high hopes for the Army All-American game bringing in at least one four-star (Micheal Carter) and maybe a couple.

Keep your pants on and stop condemning this class before the results are in...

On the old board there was a button you could click to "ignore" posters. Did we lose that option? This Handsome Pete and his silly "hope this helps" tags are really annoying. PLEASE tell me we can ignore posters.

All you have to do is click their user name on one of their posts. Options will pop up and you will select the first one "view public profile". Once you are viewing their profile below their name you have 2 options "send message" or "user lists". Click on "user lists" and it will give you another drop down. One of the options on the drop down list is "add to ignore list". Click that and you will be asked to confirm, click yes. Now you will not be able to read their posts unless another user quotes them as a part of their own post. Hope that helps!

Perfect Evidence of Denial

All you have to do is click their user name on one of their posts. Options will pop up and you will select the first one "view public profile". Once you are viewing their profile below their name you have 2 options "send message" or "user lists". Click on "user lists" and it will give you another drop down. One of the options on the drop down list is "add to ignore list". Click that and you will be asked to confirm, click yes. Now you will not be able to read their posts unless another user quotes them as a part of their own post. Hope that helps!

I suggest all of this guy's fellow Mason-ites follow suit. You aren't going to be getting any rose-colored views from me. So if you want to go on believing that everything is hunky dory as long as the Minnesota Gophers go 6-6 , please add me to your ignore list. If anyone else demands constant domination in recruiting and on the football field, let's talk. Remember group, 12-0 is possible in our lifetime. Hope this helps.

I suggest all of this guy's fellow Mason-ites follow suit. You aren't going to be getting any rose-colored views from me. So if you want to go on believing that everything is hunky dory as long as the Minnesota Gophers go 6-6 , please add me to your ignore list. If anyone else demands constant domination in recruiting and on the football field, let's talk. Remember group, 12-0 is possible in our lifetime. Hope this helps.

If you knew me you would know I am far from a Mason-ite (and not a guy either)!!!! I was just letting people know how to use the ignore function on the new board. I have used it on another site just like this one. Personally I don't care what you or anyone else on this site want to post. I read everything whether I agree with it or not.

Some of you are Wackerites, mostly those of you living in your moms basements with 3,000 posts. Although Jim Wacker was a great man and I mean him no disrespect.

Top Bottom