I see in the Metrodome's future...

National Register of Historic Places.

Home of the Minnesota Vikings 1982-2022

A lot of upper midwest college & high school baseball teams are going to feel a negative impact when/if it goes away.

A lot of upper midwest college & high school baseball teams are going to feel a negative impact when/if it goes away.

who cares?! that is their issue to figure out. not the vikings/twins/gophers. :confused:

and that's all i have to say about that....

who cares?! that is their issue to figure out. not the vikings/twins/gophers. :confused:

and that's all i have to say about that....

Nice attitude.

The only new place the Vikings are going to get in the near future anyway is in LA. No way we agree to a new stadium in this economic environment.

I think a vikings stadium might just be what this area needs as far as construction jobs and to increase the demand for materials. However it will never pass if the Vikings don't get a little more creative with their stadium financing. Just coming to the legislature with hands wide open isn't going to cut it. They need to figure something out like the Twins did.

Completely agree with Bronko. That POS served its puropse, but did little to endear itself to anyone. It is a terrible place to see a baseball game, it was not a college atmosphere in any way for the Gophers, and the Vikings...well, they are sort of stuck with it until they can move or get something else built locally.

As far as high schools and small colleges, make do with something else. Move your schedules, find another indoor venue, whatever. Keeping that POS inflated at a cost of (total guess here) 5 million a year to do the prep bowl which is attended by (another total guess) 10,000 is completely irresponsible.

I want a ticket to the implosion

Maybe a chance to be the guy who is on the handle of the plunger. The East German design is right on top of the uglest buildings in Minnesota. Olso on my list is that art building made out of aluminum foil. Art? Name one just one building that is attractive. Ok, take TCF Bank Stadium, a beautiful example of what Minnesota is about.

I would pay to be the person who pushes button to end that buildings life. What I think that the state should do is sell the Dome to the Vikings for dirt cheap(like $1) then sell the land that it sits on to the Vikings for market price. The let them build Zygiworld right on the same place. The Vikings can keep 100% of the tickets, ads, parking, everything but the state doesn't give them a dollar to build the stadium.

MNboiler, that is an excellent idea, with the caveat that the Vikings must stay here for another extended period of time (30 years?). I am tired of public dollars going to support private sports franchises.

Down and dirty in the mud-mud-mud...

In the Metrodome-dome-dome...

Minor Ford presents...

Bigfoot vs. Gravedigger!!!!

I would pay to be the person who pushes button to end that buildings life. What I think that the state should do is sell the Dome to the Vikings for dirt cheap(like $1) then sell the land that it sits on to the Vikings for market price. The let them build Zygiworld right on the same place. The Vikings can keep 100% of the tickets, ads, parking, everything but the state doesn't give them a dollar to build the stadium.

Throw in some of the surrounding land and Zigi would jump on it.

station19 sorry I was unclear with the sale I was thinking that you sell all the surrounding land as well in the sale. The only money I state could be on the hook for in infastrucure like roads, water, etc, like they would would for any projects(I don't know what that would be) but it can't be too terrible much because of the stuff from the Metrodome. Everyone wins in that sitution.

I think a vikings stadium might just be what this area needs as far as construction jobs and to increase the demand for materials.

There is virtually no marco-market effect involved with a project like that. It makes no difference at all. This is like expecting a single garage sale to negatively effect the nearest Wal-mart to the point that they consider shutting the store down.

Anyone who thinks they are still getting a new Vikings Stadium in the next 10 years may as well be living on Mars. They are that out-of-touch. With real estate, material and labor costs plummeting, stadium architectural prefernces changing, and 5 NFL teams with far more pressing stadium needs, green-lighting a publicly subsidized stadium makes less sense right now than any time since 1945. There is no urgency and every imaginable reason to wait.

If/when they do decide to blow up the metrodome the U of M athletic department should sell tickets to the event and give the money to the Williams Fund. Any true gopher football fan would pay top dollar to see the "hall of horrors" come down.

There is virtually no marco-market effect involved with a project like that. It makes no difference at all. This is like expecting a single garage sale to negatively effect the nearest Wal-mart to the point that they consider shutting the store down.

Anyone who thinks they are still getting a new Vikings Stadium in the next 10 years may as well be living on Mars. They are that out-of-touch. With real estate, material and labor costs plummeting, stadium architectural prefernces changing, and 5 NFL teams with far more pressing stadium needs, green-lighting a publicly subsidized stadium makes less sense right now than any time since 1945. There is no urgency and every imaginable reason to wait.

The Gophers and the Twins are moving out, leaving the Vikes as the only tenant. The Vikes were the driving force behind the Dome being built and it was obviously designed for them. Does this qualify for "Be Careful what you ask for?"

I understand what you're saying Goldmember but I think you are understating the effect of building a stadium. Building a stadium is basically a public works project. The idea of putting up a public works project is to put people to work. Then you add in the multiplier effect and $250 million can turn into billions pretty easily. The effect on the economy is large but not all that easily seen because of the rest of the economy is very large also.

It's the Vikings' problem now so Gopher fans shouldn't be too worried about it.

For us Gopher fans, there were some good memories but lots and lots of bad ones. There were so many meltdowns and unbelievable losses I am glad to be gone for that reason alone. Someone put up a list of the 10 worst memories, as well as 10 other dishonorable mentions and after reading through all those (and realizing there were many more that didn't even make that), I am glad we can close the book on it for good right now. Sure there were some good wins there, but it seems like we were cursed for the entire era of the MetroDome.

BTW -- the Vikings haven't made it to the Super Bowl in 30 years, which is before the MetroDome was erected. Maybe there really WAS a MetroDome curse, I don't know.......but glad to be out of it.

Disemboweled at The MetroBowel Chamber of Horrors

If/when they do decide to blow up the metrodome the U of M athletic department should sell tickets to the event and give the money to the Williams Fund. Any true gopher football fan would pay top dollar to see the "hall of horrors" come down.

The proper name is The MetroBowel Chamber of Horrors.:eek:

Never before in the history of the NCAA has a so called home team been disemboweled at their so called home stadium so many many times. Every University of Minnesota football game at The MetroBowel Chamber of Horrors was an away game for Minnesota, and official NCAA and Big Ten records should properly reflect that fact.:eek:

Sorry Husker70

Nothing personal but the Weisman Art Museum is one of the most beautiful buildings in the Twin Cities. Your lack of knowledge about art and architecture could be, how do I say this, that you come from a "rural" background.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MetroBowel Chamber of Horrors

The Gophers and the Twins are moving out, leaving the Vikes as the only tenant. The Vikes were the driving force behind the Dome being built and it was obviously designed for them. Does this qualify for "Be Careful what you ask for?"

The MetroBowel Chamber of Horrors is a wonderful place for Zygi to live, eat, sleep. May he enjoy it immensely for many many years to come.;)

Top Bottom