Pick 6

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Okay, the Metrodome era for the Gophers is history. If the U of M were to bring back 6 players from the Gopher Metrodome era to help usher in the new digs, who would you pick and why?
Here's mine.
1) Darrell Thompson. I know that he's already here, but his long run against Michigan may be my top Gopher memory.
2) Tutu Atwell. Dang, he was small, but he was good. Caught everything close to him and had a knack to make many big plays in the Metrodome.
3) Greg Eslinger. Has anyone done more with less? Tough as nails and technically sound. Had to stink to be on the line opposite of him.
4) Chris Darkins. Unorthodox style of running, but certainly was exciting during the Wacker era.
5) Dan Nystrom. Reliable kicker whose most famous kick came on a fabulous November day in '99.
6) Tyrone Carter. Mr. Everything. I only wish they had him play offense too!

A good list . . .

and I'm sure there'll be plenty of other names that warrant consideration, including my submittal:

Rickey Foggie, QB, 1984-87. Kept defenses on edge with his feet. Most importantly, led the Gophers to 4 consecutive wins over the Badgers and a win over the Wolverines.

Chip Lohmiller, Kicker, 1984-87. Very consistent kicker with a strong, strong leg. Holds record of longest field goal, 62 yards, that he kicked to end the first half against the Hawkeyes in 1986. Kicked a game winning field goal against the Wolverines in 1986.

Ron Johnson, WR, 1998-2001. Johnson holds career records in receiving, 198; receiving yards, 2,989; TD receptions, 31; and consecutive games with a reception, 46.

Go Gophers!!

bruce smith
larry maroney
MBII
gary russell
darrell thompson
pug lund

no need for a o-line with these guys:D

I'll give it a shot:

1-Ricky Foggie=he really was electrifying
2-Tyrone Carter=he was everywhere, he never seemed to miss a tackle
3-Greg Eslinger=lightly recruited, Outland Trophy winner, enough said
4-Laurence Maroney=a threat to break a long run every time he touched the ball
5-Marion Barber III=TD machine
6-Mark Setterstrom=he started every game over 4 years and played at a high level

bigtenchamps 1899

The post said Metrodome era gophers and I could be wrong but I'm not sure Bruce Smith played in the Metrodome. And who is this Larry Maroney you speak of? I remember a Laurence Maroney but not a Larry, possible twin brother?

The post said Metrodome era gophers and I could be wrong but I'm not sure Bruce Smith played in the Metrodome. And who is this Larry Maroney you speak of? I remember a Laurence Maroney but not a Larry, possible twin brother?
i know, pug wasn't metrodome era either, i wanted an all offensive back pick so i fudged. and lawrence maroney and i were tight--so i just call him larry;)

I have no idea how no one could have mentioned Karon Riley at DE yet. In 2 years at Minnesota he had 29 sacks and 42 tackles for loss.

1 and 2: MBIII and Maroney
3 and 4: Eslinger and Setterstrom

For both of those sets, you truely can't have one without the other.

5. Karon Riley
6. Darrell Thompson

I have no idea how no one could have mentioned Karon Riley at DE yet. In 2 years at Minnesota he had 29 sacks and 42 tackles for loss.

Lamanzer Williams would be a good fit too right along the lines of Karon Riley too. I think he led the NCAA in sacks his senior year.

besides those mentioned (for sure Lamanzar and Karon)

1. Willie Middlebrooks (shut down corner)
2. Ryan Thelwell (still playing at a high level,just not at the highest level)
3. Bradley Vance (Freshman All American, showed flashes of being top LB in Conference, transferred for unknown reasons)
4. Charlton Keith (late developer, had a nice career at Kansas)
5. Anthony Montgomery (under his own admission he never really tried at Minnesota, imagine with his gifts if he would have pushed himself)
6. Mario Reese (most athletic Linebacker we had seen here in a long time, could have been a stud in Brews system as a rover)

not the most glamorous list but these guys could bring it if given a 2nd chance to play in TCF stadium.

Rickie Foggie
Darrel Thompson
Bruce Holmes
Peter Najarian
Tutu Atwell
Chip Lomiller

Top Bottom