Carter the best player????

Weisbrod

Banned
Reaction score
Someone on this site said that Paul Carter is going to be the best player on the Gophers. Maybe I'm missing something (doubt it), but why do SOME people think this? Ok, he's a decent player, but very flawed. He's not even a top three forward on the team. Mbakwe, Johnson (for sure) and White are more skilled. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST CARTER, I just think he is less talented than a number of players on the team. Why are people sleeping on Johnson on a Gophers message board? No one seems to be giving him any love. White and Mbakwe are considered the two best newcomers in the Big Ten and yet some people think Carter is going to play more minutes than both of them. Hmmmmm...

Someone on this site said that Paul Carter is going to be the best player on the Gophers. Maybe I'm missing something (doubt it), but why do SOME people think this? Ok, he's a decent player, but very flawed. He's not even a top three forward on the team. Mbakwe, Johnson (for sure) and White are more skilled. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST CARTER, I just think he is less talented than a number of players on the team. Why are people sleeping on Johnson on a Gophers message board? No one seems to be giving him any love. White and Mbakwe are considered the two best newcomers in the Big Ten and yet some people think Carter is going to play more minutes than both of them. Hmmmmm...

While I agree with you that he will not be our best player next year, I believe you sort of answered your own question. White and Mbakwe havent played one minute of Big Ten basketball. So I have a hard time thinking just because the dominated HS or JC ball they can immediately come in a lead this team. I would be very surprised if Carter was not playing significant minutes early in the season because he is our proven player that is able to rebound and is quick enough to guard elite PFs.

As with Johnson, his versatility gets him on the floor.

I don't recall any one on this board making those statements. Can you give us a quote?

I don't recall any one on this board making those statements. Can you give us a quote?

From Plinnius: "If he can become just an average shooter and a modestly efficient scorer, he'll be the team's best player by solid margin."

Carter

He was MVP of Minnesota summer league and also best player on Big 10 touring squad this summer.

He may be ONE of the best Gophers this winter.

Its not too far fetched. He led the team in rebounding despite playing less than either of the frosh bigs and Johnson (I think I don't have the numbers). He is DEFINITELY more skilled than Johnson offensively and he plays as hard as anyone on the team. Right now he can handle the rock a bit and has a nice looking J but he didn't knock it down consistently last year. I would not be surprised at all if he is our best player next year. Honestly the only players I'd say are mroe skilled them he is offensively (excluding the newcomers) are LW and Joseph. Carter was in his first year in the B10 last year and I think he could make a big leap.

I don't see it yet either. However, if you look at the kid, the size, the athleticism and the desire you see- at least I see- a lot of Willie Burton comparisons. Burton was pretty wild until he was a junior. He came back his junior year with more muscle a vastly improved jumper and the ability to take it to the hole. He had shown potential to socre some on a bad team, but he came back as the whole package. Maybe people see Carter doing that and I certainly hope so.

Carter had all the tools except finishing and a jump shot. That line drive jumper was so ugly coming out of his hands.

Carter had all the tools except finishing and a jump shot. That line drive jumper was so ugly coming out of his hands.

Lets not forget that he the heart and soul of this team. He could have done better last year if not injured. I think that we are lucky to have him for 3 years.

Lets not forget that he the heart and soul of this team. He could have done better last year if not injured. I think that we are lucky to have him for 3 years.

I love watching Carter and DJ play and agree they are the heart of the team, I'm confident one of them can step up as a scoring threat this year.

Carter numbers from last years B10 season:

I took the numbers for the B10 season for all returning players on this years team and calculated the stats based on minutes played.

Carter was number 1 in rebounds per minutes played

he was number 2 in points per minutes played.

he was number 3 in steals per minutes played

he was 4th best in fewest turnovers per minutes played

he was 4th best in assists per minutes played

he was 4th best in blocks per minutes played.

he was 4th best or better in all statistical categories that are shown in the GH Link.

He started in 2 Big 10 games last year.

Not bad overall for his first year while fighting off injuries.

I love watching Carter and DJ play and agree they are the heart of the team, I'm confident one of them can step up as a scoring threat this year.

I agree with this. DJ has improved steadily each year he has been a gopher. Last year, Carter played with a tenacity that, otherwise, the team was largely lacking. We are going to need both of these guys to play big this year if we are going to go anywhere.

The Carter that I saw last year wasn't close to being the best on the team. I thought he was solid but he needs alot of improvement before I'd consider him among the best on the team.. DJ, Ralph and Westbrook are my picks. Al and Devoe had moments but were inconsistent. I think Royce and Justin Cobbs will be good right away. I think Devoe may have a break out year. I think this team will be fun to watch.

<That line drive jumper was so ugly coming out of his hands.>
You got that right--it was a flying brick at times. However, I saw enough glimpses to put me I'm in the camp that says a little maturity and a lot more PT and he just could be the best player next year -- but on a team where there isn't much disparity, either.

Wasn't Bostick the MVP the year before? And that touring squad didn't exactly have the best players either. I think Carter is a little overhyped here. He does play his ass off and do a lot of good things, but he always makes some of the dumbest plays that drive me crazy. He's just really inconsistent and sometimes takes a few too many jumpers for how good his shot is. For a big guy he has decent handles, but sometimes he tries dribbling too much which leads him to trouble. DJ and Westbrook are still the two best players on the team. I'm not sure why those two aren't getting very much respect.

He was MVP of Minnesota summer league and also best player on Big 10 touring squad this summer.

He may be ONE of the best Gophers this winter.

I'll compare Carter with Johnson.

Rebounding: ENORMOUS edge to Carter. Carter averaged 11.25 REB/40 to Johnson's 6.29. Carter's offensive rebounding rate ranked amongst the best in the country and was actually better than that of guys like Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet. Carter might be the best rebounder in the country capable of playing the 3.

Ball handling/shot creation: Edge to Carter.

FT shooting: Carter - 77.3%, Johnson - 67.1%. Carter with the sizable edge.

FD/40 (Fouls drawn per 40 min): Carter 5.1, Johnson 3.9. Only Westbrook (5.3) draws more fouls than Carter.

Defense: Johnson, but Carter has the tools to become his near-equal.

Outside shooting: Neither should attempt 3-pointers.

Offensive efficiency: Carter's biggest fault that needs to be improved upon. Johnson shot 48.5% from the field, Carter shot just 36.2%. Huge edge for Johnson.

Passing: Remember how Carter carved up Michigan's 1-3-1 zone at Crisler? Edge to Carter.

I watched every game last year and I don't know where some of this talk about Carter making 'dumb' mistakes is coming from. I remember one bad play and that was when he dribbled the ball off his knee in the Wisky game, which we eventually won mainly because of him (Westbrook was too busy pouting to get back on that play and Carter hustled back and fouled the guy who then ended up missing a FT. Westbrook is clutch but he does way too much pouting and his body language sucked for much of that 2nd half. Can't call him our best player). Carter may not have looked the prettiest or made the crowd pleasing blocks or steals like DJ but he was much more consistent and played as hard as anyone on the team. I love both guys but I think Carter has real star potential. He's quick, pretty strong, has good size, nice handles, and a decent base for a jumper. I think this kid will blow up next year

I watched every game last year and I don't know where some of this talk about Carter making 'dumb' mistakes is coming from. I remember one bad play and that was when he dribbled the ball off his knee in the Wisky game, which we eventually won mainly because of him (Westbrook was too busy pouting to get back on that play and Carter hustled back and fouled the guy who then ended up missing a FT. Westbrook is clutch but he does way too much pouting and his body language sucked for much of that 2nd half. Can't call him our best player). Carter may not have looked the prettiest or made the crowd pleasing blocks or steals like DJ but he was much more consistent and played as hard as anyone on the team. I love both guys but I think Carter has real star potential. He's quick, pretty strong, has good size, nice handles, and a decent base for a jumper. I think this kid will blow up next year

I agree. Both of these guys will play for a few years in NBA. My only criticism for DJ was against Texas. We needed him on the court. He made a very silly foul that I think maybe cost us the game. We were doing so well until he got into foul trouble. I also think that we had a great chance of beating Duke if we could only beat Texas last year. No, I am not blameing all of this on DJ. I just said too many ifs that's all.

In my opinion

Carter has quite a ways to go to just be an average shooter. I wouldnt say he is far better than Johnson. I say Johnson was better offensively last year. If he gets his outside shot going he could be an all big ten type of guy. But wow he has a LONG way to go offensively----field goals and free throw shooting.

Carter has quite a ways to go to just be an average shooter. I wouldnt say he is far better than Johnson. I say Johnson was better offensively last year. If he gets his outside shot going he could be an all big ten type of guy. But wow he has a LONG way to go offensively----field goals and free throw shooting.

Actually he had the 2nd best freethrow % on the team at 77%. Kinda interesting that he shot FT that well and only shot 38% from the field. I agree, if he could shoot, he could be a all Big Ten type player.

My point in all this is that Carter appears to have the ability to become a consistent shooter. Johnson and Nolen have form issues so bad that they'll never be any more than mediocre shooters. Its like how people assume RSIII can become a decent 10-15 ft jump shooter because he was said to be in HS but he looked like Shaq from outside of 5 feet all year long. I think with a year of work and increased confidence Carter has the ability to be a better jump shooter and I actually think he'll be more aggressive offensively and make use of his skill set. He did it a few times last year but only after he'd been established in the flow of the game.

Just role players? Then do you consider every player on the gophers just a role player? They were undoubtedly the two best players on the team last year, and unless someone else improves drastically, they will be again.

You can't just look at stats when comparing two players. Either way you look at it, DJ is easily a better defender (doesn't matter if Carter has the tools, he hasn't proven it like DJ), and he's way overlooked on offense. It may not be pretty to watch, but he was our second leading scorer and he shoots a high percentage. Carter's offense is somewhat similar in the sense that he finds ways to score even if it isn't pretty and he doesn't have a jump shot, but the biggest difference is that he shoots too much for how often his shots go in.

Because they're just role players. They aren't the types of players that will win you games in the tournament.

Just role players? Then do you consider every player on the gophers just a role player?

Yes. We didn't have a single player make All-Big Ten (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team).

They were undoubtedly the two best players on the team last year, and unless someone else improves drastically, they will be again.

Then we won't be anywhere close to a top 25 team and will get bounced in the first round of the tournament again.

Yes. We didn't have a single player make All-Big Ten (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team).

Then we won't be anywhere close to a top 25 team and will get bounced in the first round of the tournament again.

Agreed. Gophers must show improvement over 2009. I think they will. Returnees get better and recruits add talent to the lineup.

Another Juco

If I remember correctly, Bobby Jackson's first year with the Gophers was nothing special. With Juco's, it is often the second year where they make the big step. Hopefully Carter can take that next step.

Plinnius, quit hating on DJ and get over mancrush on Carter

Your so called comparison of DJ and Carter was so absurd that it just shows you hate on DJ and have a mancrush on Carter. Carter only has excelled in one area so far--rebounding. And other than rebounding and FT %, DJ's stats are more impressive in FG%, Blocks, Steals, Turnovers, scoring and 3PT %. Plus, DJ plays much better defense and don't forget, he had to deal with a broken hand injury last year. There is a reason DJ was the starter and Carter was not.

I think Carter has potential, but if he ever becomes as good an all around player as DJ, I would be very surprised and pleased. I'm not negative on Carter..I just think your posts are very insulting to a player like DJ.

Lets be honest, here. DJ is a very good defender and a mediocre offensive player at best right now. He has some moments offensively and got some ok results but he'll never be known as a 'good' offensive player. His form is bad and his handles are very shaky. The reason people like Carter is because he has the POTENTIAL to get a lot better. Last year the guy was solid but showed flashes of ability at both ends that lead one to believe that he can be pretty good on both ends. His handle is pretty good, he's athletic, and his form isn't bad on his J. Plus he has 2 years left while DJ is a 5th year senior. I love both guys and I hope both improve a ton, but I'm more excited about Carter's potential

Top Bottom