How many players will leave after Spring Ball...

I suspect folks will figure out who is starting and who isn't likely too and there may be some moves, but I don't expect a ton.

Not sure why this four elite stuff is so important to you. It is a catch phrase from a coach who has dozens of them.

Several players will leave, all because the coaches believe they are not as "athletically elite" as the player feels he is. Same as any other spring with a new coach.

We've taken PJ's talk to absurd extremes now.

Article a while ago noted PJ thought one of his QBs aw WMU wasn't his kinda guy. He didn't toss the dude from the team, in fact he later made him the starter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rhoda left if he was clearly behind Seth and Demry by the end of it. No one else jumps out at me though.

I don't think any of the OL will leave. They finally have a coach that is going to keep them out of non-game related surgery.

I would expect next year's seniors to stay no matter their personal feelings. The sophomores and juniors are the ones that I would expect to leave.

Do we have any "stars" in those classes that we should be concerned about?

I don't think any of the OL will leave. They finally have a coach that is going to keep them out of non-game related surgery.

But will they play Nasty? I remember a time not too long ago where that seemed really important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If PJ wants his players to be spiritually elite, and likely the majority are Christian- why is the Spring Game on Easter weekend?

...because they didn't meet the four elite requirements of PJ Fleck.

In the Pioneer Press article about coaching at Tampa, Fleck mentions that he expects some "stars" to leave the program before next fall.

Gophers football: P.J. Fleck winning over Vincent Jackson was career hurdle https://www.twincities.com/2017/02/...nning-over-vincent-jackson-was-career-hurdle/

“There could be a star from last year that says, ‘I don’t know if I like this. I don’t know if I belong here,’ ” Fleck said. “ ‘They want me to be elite in all four areas (athletically, academically, socially and spiritually) and I only like football or I just like this.’ ’ There will be a lot of questions answered after spring, to be honest with you.”

Not sure if you are working on an agenda or just have reading comprehension problems. There's the quote. He doesn't say he's expecting stars to leave like you say. He's merely stating some might not buy what he's selling; that group might include a star; he's fine with that; but if you bothered to read the rest of it, he's also pretty confident in his abilities to reach the people he wants.

Not sure about other fan sites, but GH has some folks who seem like they can't wait for a player to screw up or a coach to fail so they are considered "right." Always looking for the negative is a hell of a way to root for a program.

“There could be a star from last year that says, ‘I don’t know if I like this. I don’t know if I belong here,’ ” Fleck said. “ ‘They want me to be elite in all four areas (athletically, academically, socially and spiritually) and I only like football or I just like this.’ ’ There will be a lot of questions answered after spring, to be honest with you.”

Not sure if you are working on an agenda or just have reading comprehension problems. There's the quote. He doesn't say he's expecting stars to leave like you say. He's merely stating some might not buy what he's selling; that group might include a star; he's fine with that; but if you bothered to read the rest of it, he's also pretty confident in his abilities to reach the people he wants.

Not sure about other fan sites, but GH has some folks who seem like they can't wait for a player to screw up or a coach to fail so they are considered "right." Always looking for the negative is a hell of a way to root for a program.
Thanks for quoting the article. I couldn't do it from my phone.

His comments don't seem to concern you. Fine.

I find his four requirements peculiar and suspect some "stars" may leave after Spring Ball.

I dont believe that many projected starters will leave, maybe one or two. After spring ball if anyone transfers they will have to sit out next year before playing again. I don't see any upperclassmen leaving due to time restrictions. I only see underclassmen who are not projected to start potentially transferring, no "stars" will transfer.

"If PJ wants his players to be spiritually elite, and likely the majority are Christian- why is the Spring Game on Easter weekend?"

I have found many of the recruits this year have bible verses attached to their twitter accts etc. I wonder if bible studies are part of row the ark?

But will they play Nasty? I remember a time not too long ago where that seemed really important.
The only thing "nasty" about the OL last year was the number of false starts and other penalties.

"If PJ wants his players to be spiritually elite, and likely the majority are Christian- why is the Spring Game on Easter weekend?"

I have found many of the recruits this year have bible verses attached to their twitter accts etc. I wonder if bible studies are part of row the ark?

Tons of football players all over the country at all levels do this. Nothing unique to our recruits.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rhoda left if he was clearly behind Seth and Demry by the end of it. No one else jumps out at me though.

Now that Rhoda's got his scholarship back I'm guessing he's just going to ride it out. The only reason he was going to leave was because Claeys pulled his scholarship. I'm sure he knew full well where he stood with new recruits and the possibility of Green and Williams returning. I think if he really wanted to start he would have never come back when Fleck came calling.

I wouldn't be shocked to see one or more of the WR leave (Carter, Gentry, Holland and Still all seem like potential candidates depending where they end up in the depth charts). Croft could go depending where he ends up (if he is behind Green, Morgan or against all odds Williams and especially if he's behind two of them). I'm sure there will be a couple of RS FR or SO's that will not like the new direction and may decide not to ride it out, but I don't see anyone obvious yet. I don't see OL or DB (too much opportunity to play).

As much as I know people do leave after spring ball, I just don't see that many players leaving this year. Probably the kiss of death that I just said that! :)

Maybe I'm nit-picking. Maybe I'm looking for the negative.

But - I would be happier if Fleck would have said something like this: "I have to get to know the returning players, and they have to get to know me. If it turns out that some of the players decide we're not a good fit for each other, then I won't stand in their way if they want to consider other options. I want players who want to be here, and vice-versa."

Instead, he presents it as some players "don't want to be elite in all four areas," - making it sound like it's the player's fault.

I would not be surprised if there are several transfers after the spring. I'll put the number between 4-8, with a midpoint of 6.

Now that Rhoda's got his scholarship back I'm guessing he's just going to ride it out. The only reason he was going to leave was because Claeys pulled his scholarship. I'm sure he knew full well where he stood with new recruits and the possibility of Green and Williams returning. I think if he really wanted to start he would have never come back when Fleck came calling.

I wouldn't be shocked to see one or more of the WR leave (Carter, Gentry, Holland and Still all seem like potential candidates depending where they end up in the depth charts). Croft could go depending where he ends up (if he is behind Green, Morgan or against all odds Williams and especially if he's behind two of them). I'm sure there will be a couple of RS FR or SO's that will not like the new direction and may decide not to ride it out, but I don't see anyone obvious yet. I don't see OL or DB (too much opportunity to play).

As much as I know people do leave after spring ball, I just don't see that many players leaving this year. Probably the kiss of death that I just said that! :)

I'm not disagreeing with your post. I don't think Rhoda is going anywhere. However, I don't think it was as simple as "Claeys pulled his scholarship". I think there was an honest discussion with Conor where Claeys laid it out to him and explained that it was highly unlikely hat he got significant playing time. I'm not saying that I agree with that decision (I strongly disagreed with it when it came to Streveler a year ago, that's another discussion, but I thought that was an awful decision). But I actually think it's the right thing to do. I am sure PJ will be doing the same thing with a handful of players after spring ball.

Maybe I'm nit-picking. Maybe I'm looking for the negative.

But - I would be happier if Fleck would have said something like this: "I have to get to know the returning players, and they have to get to know me. If it turns out that some of the players decide we're not a good fit for each other, then I won't stand in their way if they want to consider other options. I want players who want to be here, and vice-versa."

Instead, he presents it as some players "don't want to be elite in all four areas," - making it sound like it's the player's fault.

I would not be surprised if there are several transfers after the spring. I'll put the number between 4-8, with a midpoint of 6.

I agree with the above post 100%. A person that is spiritual will not try to force it upon others...Believing is a whom so ever will kinda thing..

Not sure why this four elite stuff is so important to you. It is a catch phrase from a coach who has dozens of them.

Several players will leave, all because the coaches believe they are not as "athletically elite" as the player feels he is. Same as any other spring with a new coach.

+1 well said

Never seen a fan base looking to be negative about a new coach as much as this one. Truly ridiculous.

Never seen a fan base looking to be negative about a new coach as much as this one. Truly ridiculous.

Minnesotans want humble quiet head coaches that they can take home to their mom.... but not Tracy Claeys...

Thanks for quoting the article. I couldn't do it from my phone.

His comments don't seem to concern you. Fine.

I find his four requirements peculiar and suspect some "stars" may leave after Spring Ball.

Peculiar? Trying to help develop a complete human being, is that peculiar? Parents of recruits realize that their kid will not play professional football so the more complete that person is the better his chances of success in the world outside football. Now in your case, custodial work at the local Pizza Hut probably didn't require all that stuff.

Peculiar? Trying to help develop a complete human being, is that peculiar? Parents of recruits realize that their kid will not play professional football so the more complete that person is the better his chances of success in the world outside football. Now in your case, custodial work at the local Pizza Hut probably didn't require all that stuff.

You give parents of division 1 athletes far too much credit for being level headed, which means you have a built in bias.

I tend to agree with the poster who says these "four elites" are fleckisms to sell his candy.

As for Pizza Hut, you'd be surprised by the the amount of athleticism, academics, social and spiritual eliteness required to clean up the spunk you left on the bathroom urinal. [emoji41]

Few, if any. I don't think the Fleck regime will be waking up a program full of lazy bums here...our guys are already used to having to work hard, play hard, meet standards, and go to class. This isn't a "come to Jesus" camp for a 1-11 wreck, and he's not inheriting an academic tire fire either.

One incident mostly involving guys who will no longer be here doesn't mean the whole program was a raft of failure and laziness. Fleck's just giving a mantra -- as he is wont to do -- to the values that already existed here.

I found the inclusion of "spiritually" to be peculiar. I am all for PJ saying that he wants people who are good athletically, academically and socially. Personally, I think the "spiritually" thing is kind of gross. I am pretty sure PJ was just using coach speak to cater to the believers (they love this kind of stuff). I don't think there will be any "spirituality" requirements for our football team.

Yeah, who wants players with morals, much better to get some guys into the program who are into gang-bangs

Top Bottom