NCAA Tournament Games

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Okay this is just getting ridiculous. Destiny Slocum, who has made end of the first half three point heaves her signature move, topped herself today. I'm idly watching the Terps take apart West Virginia when Slocum swishes a 3/4 court, overhand flip, from the edge of the arc sending Maryland into the locker room leading 38-24. Naturally her teammates go nuts.

It was fun to watch the Buckeyes take out Kentucky even thought OSU's display of nerves in the second half almost sent them back to Columbus. Unlike Penn, the Buckeyes did figure out enough ways to score.

She is a very talented point guard who does not play like a freshman. Interesting article about MD in NYT this am. They asked Freese about the 3rd seed in same region as UConn and she said they should be afraid of MD. I actually hope they, or anybody, does upset UConn.

She is a very talented point guard who does not play like a freshman. Interesting article about MD in NYT this am. They asked Freese about the 3rd seed in same region as UConn and she said they should be afraid of MD. I actually hope they, or anybody, does upset UConn.

I picked Maryland to upset UCONN so I'm really pulling for it too!

Sharon Versyp (OT lost to Notre Dame) and Charlie Turner-Thorne (three point loss to South Carolina) picked up crucial fourth quarter technicals. The Ts were deserved; although I think the two coaches had a point. They didn't have as clear a complaint as Chris Collins in yesterday's Northwestern game, but somewhere in the ball park.

The technical spree gives me hope that we'll see at least one T in tomorrow's Tennessee/Louisville game and perhaps one in tomorrow's Baylor/Cal game. There's been some crazy refereeing this weekend and Walz and Mulkey struggle enough with competent officiating.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-vs-notre-dame-in-ncaa

Versyp says she was yelling at her players:

Morrissette scored seven straight for Purdue to open the fourth, getting Purdue within six. But Purdue's bench picked up a technical foul, while the Boilermakers had the ball, with Versyp explaining later that she was yelling at her players, not an official. ND used the free throws to spur its own push, getting the lead back to 10, 74-64, with just more than five minutes left.

As soon as Notre Dame looked like it had weathered Purdue’s last push, Purdue made one more. The Boilermakers clamped down on defense and made shots: Morrissette had a jumper, followed by a Perry layup. Oden hit a triple. Then a free throw by Morrissette, a layup by Perry and then her two game-tying free throws.

Versyp did a great job of coaching the Boilers this year. At the beginning of the year, I wouldn't have even picked them as an NCAA Tourney candidate, but by the end of the year they were able to compete against some very good teams. The Boilers weren't any more talented than many of the middle-of-the-pack BIG teams, but the effort always seemed to be there.

It was a rather quiet departure for the Terps, 77-63. The Ducks didn't let Brionna Jones push them around inside. Turnovers (Maryland 21 and Oregon 17) and Frese's apparent reluctance to utilize the three (Maryland 0-6 while Oregon was 6-15) hindered Maryland's few comeback attempts. And....Duck freshman, Sabrina Ionescu, was sensational (21 points, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds).

I watched and I was surprised at how Oregon outplayed Maryland. Slocum and Walker-Kimbrough with sub par games for the Terps.

Terps looked dazed and Oregon's D obviously took them off their game. MD had more pressure/ expectations to win and the Oregon freshman played extremely well.

Two terrific games; but MORGAN WILLIAMS! 41 points, 7 assists, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 0 turnovers as the Bulldogs leave Mulkey behind on the way to the final four.

UCONN is LOSING at halftime against Mississippi State 36-28. Bulldogs have led by as many as 16 and have never trailed. Hoping they complete the upset! :clap:

UCONN is LOSING at halftime against Mississippi State 36-28. Bulldogs have led by as many as 16 and have never trailed. Hoping they complete the upset! :clap:

It took OT and a controversial (though correct) call, but down goes UConn.

Wow! I hadn't seen Miss St prior to the Baylor game and I must say I was really missing out. Terrific team and William is a really, really fun player to watch.

Damn, that was fun. I was annoyed at the flagrant foul call; but that crazy UConn drive to the hoop set up a classic finish.

Damn, that was fun. I was annoyed at the flagrant foul call; but that crazy UConn drive to the hoop set up a classic finish.

Itty Bitty gets it done ! What a classic and fun game to watch. I could have used a few less shots of Dak Prescott but I am thrilled Miss. State won. Nice to have different teams playing for the National Championship.

I agreed with the flagrant foul call against MSU. I think the officials got it right. What a great game. Happy for MSU. Geno very gracious in defeat...he's friends with MSU's Schafer. Why did Chong drive to the hoop so early? Great defensive play by William to get in front of her. William is about 5'2" and she shot over 5'11' Gabby Williams for the game winner. As was pointed out on the telecast many times, UConn clobbered MSU in the tourney last year, winning by 60 points. What a turnaround.

I agreed with the flagrant foul call against MSU. I think the officials got it right. What a great game. Happy for MSU. Geno very gracious in defeat...he's friends with MSU's Schafer. Why did Chong drive to the hoop so early? Great defensive play by William to get in front of her. William is about 5'2" and she shot over 5'11' Gabby Williams for the game winner. As was pointed out on the telecast many times, UConn clobbered MSU in the tourney last year, winning by 60 points. What a turnaround.

By the rules, it's the correct call. What I don't like is that there was nothing called on the floor. It just doesn't seem right to go back and call a foul. What would have happened if there had been no stoppage in play between the uncalled flagrant and the end of the game?

I could have used a few less shots of Dak Prescott but I am thrilled Miss. State won.

I'm with you on the enough Dak already front. I'm happy both games played out so that Burke didn't get in her usual extended "bring back the one and one" diatribe. She tried to inject it late in the Mississippi State game but thankfully neither Lawson or O'Brien bit. It was interesting that Schaefer, probably because UConn didn't press, chose to bring the ball full court after his timeout rather than advance it at games end.

I also would not have minded seeing less of Prescott and hearing less of Burke. Although I appreciate his passion. Seems that the telecast crews always make it a point to find out where "celebrities" or family members will be sitting. This year it's been Samuelsons' dad, Prescott, Condoleezza Rice, the young son of the Quinnipiac coach, the former UConn stars, etc. In the men's tournament, we saw more than enough of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Bill Murray. Just as I've done a 180 on Geno over the past few years, I've also done a 180 on Doris Burke, but in the other direction. I used to like her, mostly because she was knowledgeable and well-spoken, but now I can barely tolerate her. I know she knows a lot about basketball, but does she have to spend so much time telling us that? Thankfully, they've inserted Lawson into the Final Four telecasts to dilute Burke.

On another note, I've see MSU play maybe a dozen times this year. IMO, they are an unlikely team to be in the championship game. They're talented, but not nearly as talented as you'd think a team in the Final Two would be. Plenty of flaws, but their defense is good and their effort is unquestioned.

I also would not have minded seeing less of Prescott and hearing less of Burke. Although I appreciate his passion. Seems that the telecast crews always make it a point to find out where "celebrities" or family members will be sitting. This year it's been Samuelsons' dad, Prescott, Condoleezza Rice, the young son of the Quinnipiac coach, the former UConn stars, etc. In the men's tournament, we saw more than enough of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Bill Murray. Just as I've done a 180 on Geno over the past few years, I've also done a 180 on Doris Burke, but in the other direction. I used to like her, mostly because she was knowledgeable and well-spoken, but now I can barely tolerate her. I know she knows a lot about basketball, but does she have to spend so much time telling us that? Thankfully, they've inserted Lawson into the Final Four telecasts to dilute Burke.

On another note, I've see MSU play maybe a dozen times this year. IMO, they are an unlikely team to be in the championship game. They're talented, but not nearly as talented as you'd think a team in the Final Two would be. Plenty of flaws, but their defense is good and their effort is unquestioned.

I agree with the gist of what you are saying but MSU is a #2 seed and 32 and 4, so over the season they have gotten it done all year. Defense and effort goes a long way in college basketball, women's especially. Most aggressive team often wins.
Half of UConn's starters spaced out all night long. Collier was a rock solid dependable 1st team All American all season and played totally out of character..frightened all night. Chung's play is typically characterized as heady or smart...the last drive wasn't her only melt down. Nurse was setting NCAA tournament records from 3...she had 6 points. The stage just got too big for the inexperienced UConn team. If you watched UConn vs Tulane, it was obvious this team was vulnerable.
I will be shocked if UConn loses at any point next year.

In the post game interview, Dawn Staley gave Fred Chmiel a shout-out for doing the Mississippi State scout.

I wonder if he has head coach aspirations? Presumably, he does. I'd think being an assistant on a national championship team gives him a leg up.

I wonder if he has head coach aspirations? Presumably, he does. I'd think being an assistant on a national championship team gives him a leg up.

I've wondered the same; although I don't remember his name mentioned. Along with Jeff Walz, and Marissa Mosely, that makes at least three former Gopher assistants with national titles (as an assistant) after leaving the Gophers. Could be more. I haven't really looked.

Top Bottom