ESPN: NC State hit with D. Smith Jr.-related violations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

NC State received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Tuesday regarding the Wolfpack's recruitment of former star player Dennis Smith Jr.

The NCAA has alleged two Level I violations (the most serious) against the school, including a failure-to-monitor charge against former coach Mark Gottfried, who has since been hired at Cal State Northridge.

Former Wolfpack assistant Orlando Early also is accused of helping facilitate a $40,000 payment from former Adidas executive T.J. Gassnola to Smith's family in October 2015.

"It is alleged that from September 2014 through March 2017, Orlando Early, then men's basketball assistant coach and lead recruiter, violated the NCAA principles of ethical conduct when he and members of the men's basketball staff committed multiple recruiting violations and provided extra benefits during the recruitment and subsequent enrollment of [Smith]," the notice of allegations said. "Early and the men's basketball staff members arranged for and/or provided Smith and individuals associated with him approximately $46,700 in impermissible inducements and benefits."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...40/nc-state-hit-d-smith-jr-related-violations

Go Gophers!!

I bet the folks up the street in Chapel Hill are yukking it up.

Uffda. My guess is this will not end well for NC State while UNC got nothing for all the fake classes. What does a level 1 charge bring for a consequence?

NC State ought to get a 1-year postseason ban based on past NCAA practice, or they may get no punishment at all if they successfully use the ever-popular total denial strategy. The NCAA really ought to start banning coaches like Gottfried from NCAA coaching when they get caught red-handed like this, but they don't really care about getting rid of NCAA violations.

But when will UNC be sentenced to die? #NOTHINGSHORTOFDEATH

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

UNC's offenses are so serious that reprimanding Cleveland State just will not do.

Top Bottom