B1G Game 2: Gophers Visit Michigan (12-31-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Road Test

Until last night’s 56-70 B1G opener loss to Nebraska (1-0) in Lincoln, Michigan (0-1) had only lost to ranked teams on the road-NC State #9, Texas #13 and Marquette #22. Last night, Nebraska took the simplest route to victory over the Wolverines-get Hallie Thome in foul trouble.

From the Michigan Daily about the turning point in the Michigan/Nebraska game:

“When Hallie picked up her fourth foul in the fourth quarter that really hurt us,” Barnes Arico said. “I think that was a turning point for them in the game. Hallie was playing really well for us, whether that was scoring or screening or rebounding, and when she’s not in the game, obviously we’re a different team.

“It was questionable. The call was a moving screen, way away from the ball, so I have to go back and look at that.”

“I think the foul trouble really hurt us,” Barnes-Arico said. “They went to the foul line 14 times in the fourth quarter. They got in the bonus early. That definitely hurts. We’ve kinda been in this situation, being on the road in the fourth quarter, and I think with our inexperience, especially with (Thome) not in the game, that is an area where we need to continue to work and continue to improve.”

Editor note: the moving screen was not questionable.

Last season, in Minneapolis, the Gophers took a different tack in their 93-87 late season victory over Michigan. Hallie Thome played 40 minutes; however, Minnesota limited Thome to 4-12 from the field and 12 points. It was since graduated Katelynn Flaherty who went 6-11 from three for 26 points that was a thorn in the Minnesota’s defense. But, Carlie Wagner mirrored Flaherty with 26 points on 6-11 shooting from three. Other Gopher scorers were Hubbard 17, Bell 16, Edwards 13 and Pitts with 10 points and 12 rebounds.

For the Wolverines, Akienreh Johnson scored 19 and Deja Church 10 points in 38 minutes before fouling out. Speaking of the Church, Kim Barnes-Arico, after the win over Southern had this to say about the former Gopher commit (again from the Michigan Daily):

“I think Deja — she’s obviously the personality of our team — but I think her confidence is growing and growing,” Barnes Arico said. “And she’s a kid that can impact the game for us in so many ways. … I’m just proud of the player that she’s becoming.”

Against Nebraska the Wolverines utilized both a man and a 1-2-2 zone. Michigan pressed somewhat effectively out of the zone early in the game and I’m assuming they will use it against the Gophers since Wisconsin had some success with the 1-2-2 in the half court. Thome was called for her third foul when she bumped the offensive player while hedging on defense. It’s a foul that Bell should be able to force. It should also be noted that Thome’s court time also has been limited this season because of back spasms. When Thome left the game Nebraska had a front court of 6’5” and 6’3” which cut off Michigan inside. That’s not something Minnesota can do. Hopefully we’ve saved some three pointers for the trip to Ann Arbor. Unless Lamke’s going to the line, a free throw shooting contest between these Minnesota and Michigan would be nerve racking.

Some Numbers:

Three point shooting: Michigan 59-204 (.289); Minnesota 56-176 (.318)
Free Throw Shooting: Michigan 149-214 (.696); Minnesota 218-324 (.673)

Wins: Mt. St. Mary’s 88-40, @ Western Michigan 79-43, Detroit Mercy 95-62, (N) Missouri 70-54, (N) Washington 80-73, LIU Brooklyn 83-38, @ Oakland 85-59, Morgan State 70-47, Southern 76-35.

Losses: (N) Texas 53-69, @ NC State 55-66, @ Marquette 74-85, @ Nebraska 56-70.

Starters:

6’5” C Sr Hallie Thome 12.3 ppg and 21.4 mpg
5’11” G Sr Nicole Munger 10.7 ppg and 28. 4 mpg
5’10” G So Deja Church 9.4 ppg and 25.8 mpg
6’0” G Fr Amy Dilk 28.3 mpg
6’1” F So Hailey Brown 19.5 mpg

Others:

6’2” F Fr Naz Hillmon 11.9 ppg and 19.8 minutes per game
6’0” G Jr Ahkienreh Johnson 14 mpg

2017-2018 Minnesota won 93-87 in the only meeting
2016-2017 Michigan won the only meeting 84-69

Overall Minnesota leads the All-Time series 35-28

Looks like it is on BTN Plus if you want video according to Gopher and Michigan websites.

15-13 after first quarter. Maybe they will settle down and take the lead and control of the game.

Michigan playing with a lot more fire and energy than the ladies, who are sleepwalking on both ends...

Absolutely awful performance in the second quarter on both ends. Total mess. Could (and should) be down by even more. Back-court play was completely atrocious. Gonna have to learn how to break a half-court trap is they even want to make it competitive before the end.

Why doesn't Whalen call timeout?
She had two of them.

MN down 40-22 at half. Doesn't look like our first B1G road win will be happening today.

Guess I'll just accomplish something at work today then. :(

Terrible half from the guards. So many turnovers against this simple press.

The 1-2-2 caused total confusion and Michigan just kept pushing it toward mid-court. Plus, Michigan's uptempo took the legs right out of us.

MIN players were at shoot-around at 7:30 AM ET, which probably means they woke up at 6:30 AM ET. I wonder if they're tired/didn't get enough sleep because they look it. Started making mistake after mistake, and Whalen didn't use her timeouts... just let them bleed.

Lindsay Whalen was right in preseason when she said the real test is the Big Ten grind. MIchigan should be pumpep up going after a 12th ranked Gopher team. So would all the other Big Ten opponents. They have a bullseye on their backs.

Let's see if the Gophers can settle down and adjust. This will be the defining moment(s) that will tell how truly good the Gophers are against Big Ten competition.

Great coaching job by KBA; knew Gophers lacked depth and went after them to get in foul trouble, Gophers played tentative for the rest of the half.

One word: Gross.

Just saw the score . Down by 26 in the 3rd ? Wow! I actually thought this might be their 1st loss but not by this many points. We knew they would have to step it up in the Big so here is their wake up call.

Whalen waving the white flag by bringing K Bello.

Man, I really miss three pointers as a part of the offense. We were 1-4 from three. And Destiny finished with 1 point off 6 shots.

Man, I really miss three pointers as a part of the offense. We were 1-4 from three. And Destiny finished with 1 point off 6 shots.

We just dont have the shooters right now, really need to get Hubbard back and get Staples going from deep.

Rough day for the Gophers. Regroup, better things to come in 2019!

Michigan margin of victory: 16 points

Michigan fast break points: 16, Gophers: 0

Points off turnovers - Michigan: 26, Gophers: 12, Delta = 14

Field goal percentage almost identical (except for 2nd and 3rd quarter)

Michigan extra points off 3s = 9
Michigan extra made free throws (on almost identical taken) = 3
Sum = 12

If this would have been a night game, I think we may have seen a different result. But at least the players get to celebrate New Year's Eve.

If this would have been a night game, I think we may have seen a different result. But at least the players get to celebrate New Year's Eve.

A New Year, and renewed resolve to play tough against the Big Ten. Plus some practice beating a simple press.

Top Bottom