Illini adding transfers from Oklahoma, Clemson, Miami

Lovie gets guys here or there, and really... who is Illinois gonna get to go there?

I think sticking with Lovie is a good choice for them.

The Illini will be interesting. They looked like Tarzan against us. I love their running back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Illini will be interesting. They looked like Tarzan against us. I love their running back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They have some pieces on offense but we made a number of average to bad teams look really good prior to making the change at DC.

They have some pieces on offense but we made a number of average to bad teams look really good prior to making the change at DC.

Are you talking about Illinois or Minnesota?

Who is the last of example of a high profile Power 5 player transferring down within the power 5 and causing a significant impact to that team?

Who is the last of example of a high profile Power 5 player transferring down within the power 5 and causing a significant impact to that team?

Zak Kustok off the top of my head. After some research, Randy Moss and Colt Brennan, (although they were kicked off their teams). Nick Foles, Ryan Mallett, Will Grier.

Last edited:

The QB position is full of guys who transferred from one P5 to another and had a ton of success. I'm not sure how you define "transferring down", but there are lots of examples of this.

would love to see Gophs adding a transfer o-tackle and a transfer safety...

think we have good depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, interior o-line (I am assuming Schmitz, Beier, maybe Richter, are Big Ten ready), DT, DE, LB, (assuming Coughlin to lb, Martin returning, that at least 2 or 3 of Rush, SoriMarin, Oliver, Gordon, Willis are as good as talked about), CB

TACKLE: not sure what we have or where we are at with Dickson and others...if Dickson is good and good to to go, that is huge...maybe Schlueter improves and wins back a starting spot at tackle? loved how Callahan used him as sixth olineman down the stretch...maybe Schlueter goes to guard, frees up Andries to move? Andries played some great guard for us, but also looked good at tackle vs GaTech...maybe he's an answer at tackle? no clue on what we have in Sassack or York, who redshirted...is Guedet good enough to help as a true frosh?

SAFETY: we will miss Huff...always going to worry about Winfield after two injuries now...

Howden hopefully adds some size and wisdom, he got thrown in the fire.

Chris Williamson was a difference maker vs Purdue, WI, Ga Tech...has speed, has size, plays physical...best on-roster candidate to fill a need at safety?

if they can figure it out and stay on the field, Williamson and Winfield could be very, very good tandem at safety

I thought Durr really stood out at times showing some speed and physicality...he could be another piece at safety.

not sure what we have in Sapp and Swenson; mostly special teams reps. redshirt frosh CJ Smith seems like he has size.

bringing in the juco Clemmons as a corner it seems, true frosh Nubin also more of a corner?...maybe true frosh Solomon Brown, walk on frosh Winfield can help at safety?

if Addae leaves, makes figuring out some things in the secondary a little more difficult.

would love to see Gophs adding a transfer o-tackle and a transfer safety...

think we have good depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, interior o-line (I am assuming Schmitz, Beier, maybe Richter, are Big Ten ready), DT, DE, LB, (assuming Coughlin to lb, Martin returning, that at least 2 or 3 of Rush, SoriMarin, Oliver, Gordon, Willis are as good as talked about), CB

TACKLE: not sure what we have or where we are at with Dickson and others...if Dickson is good and good to to go, that is huge...maybe Schlueter improves and wins back a starting spot at tackle? loved how Callahan used him as sixth olineman down the stretch...maybe Schlueter goes to guard, frees up Andries to move? Andries played some great guard for us, but also looked good at tackle vs GaTech...maybe he's an answer at tackle? no clue on what we have in Sassack or York, who redshirted...is Guedet good enough to help as a true frosh?

SAFETY: we will miss Huff...always going to worry about Winfield after two injuries now...

Howden hopefully adds some size and wisdom, he got thrown in the fire.

Chris Williamson was a difference maker vs Purdue, WI, Ga Tech...has speed, has size, plays physical...best on-roster candidate to fill a need at safety?

if they can figure it out and stay on the field, Williamson and Winfield could be very, very good tandem at safety

I thought Durr really stood out at times showing some speed and physicality...he could be another piece at safety.

not sure what we have in Sapp and Swenson; mostly special teams reps. redshirt frosh CJ Smith seems like he has size.

bringing in the juco Clemmons as a corner it seems, true frosh Nubin also more of a corner?...maybe true frosh Solomon Brown, walk on frosh Winfield can help at safety?

if Addae leaves, makes figuring out some things in the secondary a little more difficult.

You are forgetting about Josh Aune .

The QB position is full of guys who transferred from one P5 to another and had a ton of success. I'm not sure how you define "transferring down", but there are lots of examples of this.

I mean, Baker Mayfield went from Texas Tech to Oklahoma. Of course no one would call that transferring "down". I'm sure there are all kinds of examples of QBs alone going from top 25 P5 schools to a P5 that is usually in the bottom half or so, and at least earning the starting role.

I see the 247 guys are now listing him as a linebacker...they do a really nice grid by position, year, scholarship:

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/255/938/8938255.jpg

That is an awesome grid, thank you for sharing that!

Of course, it immediately brings up two critical questions which probably belong in a different thread:

1) assuming K.Williams signs here, that's 90 scholarship guys. So we either have to convince five existing scholarship guys to move on (possibly after spring ball?), otherwise we won't be able to honor five of the scholarships for the 20 guys that signed for 2019.

2) it shows only 2 spots left in the 2019 class. How did they get to that? My understanding is that the two Maroon Shirts don't count against the 25 (which is the whole point of that), and that the updated rules allow Howden and Z Annexstad to be put on scholarship without it counting against the 25. Even if you did count those two, and against assuming KW for 20 signees in 2019 ... how are they getting to 23?

EDIT: duh, it's Schad. I forgot him! So they're counting Schad, Z Annexstad, and Howden against the 2019 class. Don't think that's correct, but I guess we'll see.

I am sure the coaching staff has a plan on how to honor/allocate the scholarships. Not worried about that at all.

I have two thoughts and I am going to contradict myself with them...

1) If they were any good they would be playing at Oklahoma, Clemson, and Miami. I get it Clemson is loaded, but I also think Dabo Sweeny is a good enough coach that he would be able to find a place to play them. Chances are they were probably a little overrated in high school or just never panned out.

The flip side...

2) I think there is going to be more and more transfers, thus better players transferring, that there has been in the past. Heck, Coach Fleck even said leaving a few scholarships available for some free agents.

Top Bottom