#47 Indiana
#52 Northwestern
#62 Purdue
#68 Maryland
#79 Illinois
#92 Rutgers

#71 Fresno State
#75 Georgia Southern

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...-fpi-rankings-5-b1g-teams-included-in-top-25/

Ranking of all 130 teams: http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also...

Projected win-loss: 8.3-4.0
Win out %: 0.2%
Conference win %: 7.9%
Strength of schedule: 54
#28 Minnesota

So you’re telling me there’s a chance

Wow, they are very optimistic on the Gophers relative to other media outlets and seemingly very down on Wisconsin, Purdue and Northwestern relative to others as well. I would definitely take it as the outcome.

FPI --- Not a dink...this year

Also very surprised how close Georgia Southern Uniforms rating is to Fresno State.

Last edited:

preseason rankings are all over the map. I saw one on Twitter that had Nebraska in their top 10 (after a 4-8 season) and even the Nebraska fans were complaining that was too high. Its weird. In some circles the Nebraska hype train is out of control, in others Wisconsin is ranked high. In the end, preseason polls and guesses are all over the map and it is for good reason. Nobody really knows as every team has to figure out injuries, positional battles, player busts or breakouts, and many have positional coaching changes that may or may not work out. So, it seems a lot of preseason picks just regurgitate recent season results, program history, etc. I would love for the Gophers to fly under the radar and have this season as their big breakout year where everything goes right.

Hopefully not the same ranking service that had Wisconsin somewhere around #4 last year and a threat for the BCS playoff?

38 for Wisconsin is way too high. Thinking 70s.

From what I have seen this is the rare year when the computers actually like us better than humans. Seems like we have seen more of the opposite in recent years.

I dont think the East is that good to put 4 ahead of the West
I am not buying into PSU and a new QB
questions at OSU with new coach but they always seem to handle a bump in the road
MSU is primed for a comeback year

so if they are all beating each other up they cannot and will not end up all above the Gophers and Iowa in the West

From what I have seen this is the rare year when the computers actually like us better than humans. Seems like we have seen more of the opposite in recent years.

I'll bet there are a lot of posters on this site that do better with computers than humans.

preseason rankings are all over the map. I saw one on Twitter that had Nebraska in their top 10 (after a 4-8 season) and even the Nebraska fans were complaining that was too high. Its weird. In some circles the Nebraska hype train is out of control, in others Wisconsin is ranked high. In the end, preseason polls and guesses are all over the map and it is for good reason. Nobody really knows as every team has to figure out injuries, positional battles, player busts or breakouts, and many have positional coaching changes that may or may not work out. So, it seems a lot of preseason picks just regurgitate recent season results, program history, etc. I would love for the Gophers to fly under the radar and have this season as their big breakout year where everything goes right.

Guys, it’s simple. Talent rankings 70% of the time, every time.

FPI --- Not a dink...this year

Also very surprised how close Georgia Southern Uniforms rating is to Fresno State.

Fresno lost a lot of talent off of last year's team I believe. Good chance this is a bit of a down year for them.

Really laying the wood to Wisc, Neb, Northwestern and Purdue there... I'll take it.

Fresno lost a lot of talent off of last year's team I believe. Good chance this is a bit of a down year for them.

They did but they have a good coach... good coaches can pull off some magic now and then.

They did but they have a good coach... good coaches can pull off some magic now and then.

Very true. My guess is that like GSU they will be solid but not spectacular and will be a team the Gophers should beat as long as we play well and avoid lots of costly mistakes.

This doesn’t really deserve its own post, so I’ll put it here.

At 11:30 into the “Crystal Ball” podcast on the Hawkeye Nation website, Steve Deace picked Minnesota to win the Big Ten West. The other guy called him an “idiot.” Deace is more of a Michigan fan than an Iowa fan, but he’s one of the few people out there who seems to know what’s going on with all teams in Big Ten football, so I pay attention to what he says. I can’t get the link to the “Crystal Ball” podcast, but it’s on the front page.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/

I've said Minnesota could win the West before. This is the first time I have really believed it. That's not necessarily because I think this squad will be a juggernaut, but because things just seem to be lining up nicely overall, and they aren't brittle due to depth -- a single injury or two won't likely wreck the season.

The Gophers are finally good enough to dream of a special season where everything goes right. If you are a 52% favorite in 10 games, you are probably still going to lose 5 of them. But, it is at least possible to daydream about a special season where all 10 are won. So, I have been saying all along that my official prediction is 8-4 which would be another step forward for an improving team. I'd be a bit disappointed at 7 wins and 6 or less would be a step back in my book. I would be surprised at anything more than 8 wins, but not shocked. Anything more than 8 means some things that normally don't go the Gophers way are indeed happening.

10-2 is an awesome finish no matter what, but if iowa or penn state don't finish at the top of the west/east respectively (or at least compete until the last week or so) I think I'd be a little bummed at what could've been. Either way, if the gophs are 8-0 going into penn state, I may need to see if I can fly in for that game...

I dont think the East is that good to put 4 ahead of the West
I am not buying into PSU and a new QB
questions at OSU with new coach but they always seem to handle a bump in the road
MSU is primed for a comeback year

so if they are all beating each other up they cannot and will not end up all above the Gophers and Iowa in the West

Preseason RPI rankings are pretty meaningless as they rank heavily based on W-L of opponents. Since pre season there are no W-L, it’s somewhat garbage. Mid to late season, around selection committee ranking time, I think the RPI is a lot more meaningful.

Top Bottom