3-for-29

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Our Gophers are 3-for-29 in 3-pt shooting over the last two games, clocking in at a whopping 10.3% success rate. For the most part, shot selection looks reasonable. Shots just aren't going down. The consequences of this are far reaching. Not only does it directly result in lost points but it causes the opponent to pack the lane which makes it harder to get the ball in the paint. Gophers force entry passes (into packed lanes) because the 3 isn't falling and turn the ball over. Etc.

Right now they need to realize that this is a sad aspect of basketball: you can do a million things right but if you just don't score, you won't win. Weak minded teams will stop doing things right "because what's the point?" Just recognize that the slump will pass and when it does, you still need to be doing all the other things.

Be tough mentally, Gophs!

Our Gophers are 3-for-29 in 3-pt shooting over the last two games, clocking in at a whopping 10.3% success rate. For the most part, shot selection looks reasonable. Shots just aren't going down. The consequences of this are far reaching. Not only does it directly result in lost points but it causes the opponent to pack the lane which makes it harder to get the ball in the paint. Gophers force entry passes (into packed lanes) because the 3 isn't falling and turn the ball over. Etc.

Right now they need to realize that this is a sad aspect of basketball: you can do a million things right but if you just don't score, you won't win. Weak minded teams will stop doing things right "because what's the point?" Just recognize that the slump will pass and when it does, you still need to be doing all the other things.

Be tough mentally, Gophs!
Nicely said. +1000

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Should be 8 and 4 with any kind of outside shooting...

At least they are shooting FT's well.

Murphy needs to take at least 20 shots a game.

They literally have one guy that is a pure shooter, and thats Gabe K.

Pitino has done a poor job of getting guys that can shoot. Thats why he was desperate to sign Stull and give Jamal Harris a schollie

Brutal, just brutal.

Speaking of horrible shooting numbers...…

Dupree in his last 7 conference games is
13-50 (26%) from the floor.
4-23 (17%) from 3
Averaging 6.4 points a game

this is where it hurts even more that Stull was a miss on the grad transfer market...we literally have nobody else to put on the court

4-23 (17%) from 3

this is where it hurts even more that Stull was a miss on the grad transfer market...we literally have nobody else to put on the court

Yes we do. His name is Isaiah. Dupree is a better defender, but his AWFUL shooting is too much of a liability. At this point, I would rather see IW making wild drives in the lane than watch Dupree shoot from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4-23 (17%) from 3

There names are called IW and stull. How is a guy who can’t shoot still get 30 minutes a game is beyond me!! These losses are on Richard shoulders for refusing to make rotation adjustments. This isn’t just a 1 or 2 game slump. Great kid and Pitino budfy buddy but isn’t your job about trying to win.

The solution for bad shooting is giving IW more minutes???

Isaiah gets other guys shots. And was 2/5 last night. Dupree was 1/9. He made twice the shots as Dupree.

There names are called IW and stull. How is a guy who can’t shoot still get 30 minutes a game is beyond me!! These losses are on Richard shoulders for refusing to make rotation adjustments. This isn’t just a 1 or 2 game slump. Great kid and Pitino budfy buddy but isn’t your job about trying to win.

Stull is for sure not the answer. He was a huge swing and a miss on the grad transfer market. Pitino had the excuse of using he wasn't in shape for the early part of the season....now reality has sunk in and Pitino knows he just doesn't give us anything on the court.....but its not like Pree is doing much on the court either but at least he can play defense. but at this point he has to try something....I would rather give minutes to Hurt than stull.

Can't say I can think of a worse shooting team in the big ten than the gophers. There offense looks like a merry-go-round the three point line. Lousy offensive game plan against Wisc. They walk up the floor and let Wisc get into their defense. When IW is in, half the time he is waiting for Murphy or Curry to get across the time line. I am on board for sitting Mcbrayer and starting IW. He can't be worse. The only player that makes cuts is Hurt. But he can't seem to get the ball in the basket. Plus he doesn't play much. I had to turn if off last night, couldn't watch anymore. Its as bad as Tubby's offense. We have no shooters on this team. Gabe while good on defense is not a good shooter. Dispel that notion, look at the stats.

Lots to agree with on here. I'd just add - in the second half last night, when we were down and needed a spark, no one nutted up. Dupree passed up open shots. Gabe did too. Even Coffey. We don't have that player that can consistently step up, put the team on his back and be that floor leader, even when their confidence is a bit down.

This falls on Pitino in two ways. First, he isn't recruiting and/or developing any alphas. Second, his offensive and rotational philosophy doesn't really enable the guys that could do that to get in much of a rhythm.

You have to step up and make shots, sure. But you also have to be put in situations where you can succeed. It's all going wrong right now.

wisconsin did a really good job of defending outlets and not letting the Gophers run.

They literally have one guy that is a pure shooter, and thats Gabe K.

Pitino has done a poor job of getting guys that can shoot. Thats why he was desperate to sign Stull and give Jamal Harris a schollie

And he has been below average overall. .398 FG% - 36.2 3P%.

This team is a pathetic shooting team from deep.

He has one of those 3 makes. And at least he brings something else to the offense.

The only other guy who can shoot 3's is Hurt. But he is apparently terrified to do so.

The only other guy who can shoot 3's is Hurt. But he is apparently terrified to do so.

Michael Hurt is 1-12 (8%) from 3pt range this year and 12-47 (26%) in his career. He can't shoot 3's, either.

Top Bottom