Lunardi's first 2013-14 bracket has Gophers among "first 4 out"

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Has 7 B1G teams making the field (projected seed). ...

#1 MSU
#2 Michigan
#2 Ohio State
#4 Indiana
#5 Wisconsin
#7 Iowa
#11 Illinois

Gophers among "first 4 out" with Miami-Florida, Providence, and Saint John's.

For now it looks about right. Might quibble a bit with having Illinois in there instead of Purdue.

3 teams from Maui Invitational (#2 Syracuse, #4 Gonzaga, #6 Baylor) projected into the field.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Who are the Last 4 in? I need to know who we need to lose...

I don't know, I just think all is a little early. Good conversation though.

Coversation is the point, Doc. No one's going to argue it's a tad early!

I know, that is why I said what I did. The problem with conversations here is that so many of them end up in PC's, and you know it will happen.

In fact, if we are at least considered by Lunardi as a "first 4 out", it is a starting point, and let's go from there.

Who are the Last 4 in? I need to know who we need to lose...

Iowa State, San Diego State, UNLV, and Xavier.

Let's get a couple of 'em on the NC sked and maybe a couple head-to-head wins gets us in.

Definitely a bit early, but I think this is a fair projection. If McNeil turns out to be a good point guard and we can find someone to step up at the forward position, we probably make it in.

Probably not a bad spot for the Gophers right now but also don't know that I would expect Ilinois to be a tourney team unless they land a key transfer. I would definitely like the Gophers chances of being a tourney team if Pitino can add Black to the incoming class with McNeil.

Dang. It was a good year fellas. So close. We'll get em in 2014-2015.

Does this assume that Buckles will be eligible?

If McNeil is good enough to play significant minutes and he can hit an occassional jump shot to keep defenses honest, and if we can find good play at power forward we can make the tourney. I hope Buggs is ready as Oto is really a bench player. Or that Buckles can play.

Illinois has a transfer from Seton Hall comming next year, Aaron Cosby, 6'3" 190lbs, 13pts, 3 reb, 3 ass as a sophmore there. 40% 3pt shooter. He is a solid heady player but a giant step down from Brandon Paul. I agree Purdue seems to have a very nice young team returning and should leap ahead of Illinois and into the NCAA tourney.

I think Rand from the Star Tribune is seriously missing the point if he things Lunardi is actually trying to predict the future.

It's for the best. A deep NIT run is better than one and done. :cool:

Who is in charge of scheduling now? We need to get that RPI up! SDSU and NDSU won't help as much as in past years. Let's a least get some MVC teams on the schedule.

It's for the best. A deep NIT run is better than one and done. :cool:

Who is in charge of scheduling now? We need to get that RPI up! SDSU and NDSU won't help as much as in past years. Let's a least get some MVC teams on the schedule.

NDSU is actually expecting to have their best team in a long time.

What a joke at this point. We don't even know the NBA status of many key players. I think he has too high of seeds for BT teams, though I'm not sure which key players he's assuming are staying.

Has 7 B1G teams making the field (projected seed). ...

#1 MSU
#2 Michigan
#2 Ohio State
#4 Indiana
#5 Wisconsin
#7 Iowa
#11 Illinois

Gophers among "first 4 out" with Miami-Florida, Providence, and Saint John's.

For now it looks about right. Might quibble a bit with having Illinois in there instead of Purdue.

3 teams from Maui Invitational (#2 Syracuse, #4 Gonzaga, #6 Baylor) projected into the field.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Illinois has a transfer from Seton Hall comming next year, Aaron Cosby, 6'3" 190lbs, 13pts, 3 reb, 3 ass as a sophmore there. 40% 3pt shooter. He is a solid heady player but a giant step down from Brandon Paul. I agree Purdue seems to have a very nice young team returning and should leap ahead of Illinois and into the NCAA tourney.

Mark my words. Rayvonte Rice will be the most impact transfer player on that team, if not in the entire Big Ten next year for Illinois. The kid is a headcase (see stolen socks fiasco 2011), but he is also an absolute stud. He basically did it all for Drake a couple years ago before transferring out. I'll be rooting against him next year, but it will be interesting to see as well.

Mark my words. Rayvonte Rice will be the most impact transfer player on that team, if not in the entire Big Ten next year for Illinois. The kid is a headcase (see stolen socks fiasco 2011), but he is also an absolute stud. He basically did it all for Drake a couple years ago before transferring out. I'll be rooting against him next year, but it will be interesting to see as well.

I agree with you. My Dad went to Drake, so he religiously follows Drake basketball. He pretty much passes all of the information about his team to me because My mom could care less. I know to take his beliefs with a grain of salt, but two seasons ago, Rice lead Drake or was second in all five statistical categories as a 6-3 SG.

Also, it will be awhile till we are done playing NDSU and SDSU because of the twenty year contracts we have to play them.

So you're telling me there's a chance?

Seriously, if Pitino gets the Gophs even on the brink of a tournament berth. It proves his hire was justified and a good one.

Top Bottom