Gophers Ibrahim Named 2019 Player to Watch by the Touchdown Club of Columbus

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Ibrahim Named 2019 Player to Watch

Minnesota running back Mohamed Ibrahim was honored by the Touchdown Club of Columbus on Saturday night. Ibrahim, who rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards and nine touchdowns as a freshman in 2018, was named one of the 2019 Players to Watch at the 64th Touchdown Club of Columbus Awards.

Ibrahim received his award in person at the banquet held at Express Live! in downtown Columbus, Ohio. He thanked his family, teammates, offensive line, coach P.J. Fleck and running back coach Kenni Burns after being recognized.

Ibrahim's 1,160 yards were the second most ever for a Gopher freshman and came in only 10 games played. He rushed for more than 100 yards in five games last season to become the first Gopher freshman to do so since Laurence Maroney (five 100-yard games) in 2003.

Ibrahim set a freshman single-game record with 224 yards against Georgia Tech (most by a Gopher in a single game since Maroney ran for 258 yards against Wisconsin in 2005) in the 2018 Quick Lane Bowl and produced the 12th-best rushing game in school history. His 5.74 yards per carry average ranks fifth all-time in school history (minimum 200 carries) and Ibrahim's 1,160 career rushing yards ranks 42nd on Minnesota's career rushing.

The below players were named 2019 Players to Watch by the Touchdown Club of Columbus (list was announced on Dec. 28, 2018).

Running Back
Eno Benjamin (Arizona State)
Isaiah Bowser (Northwestern)
J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State)
Travis Etienne (Clemson)
Mohamed Ibrahim (Minnesota)
Jermar Jefferson (Oregon State)
Greg McCrae (UCF)
Ronnie Rivers (Fresno State)
Michael Warren (Cincinnati)

Quarterback
Sam Ehlinger (Texas)
Justin Herbert (Oregon)
Kelvin Hopkins, Jr. (Army)
D'Eriq King (Houston)
Jordan Love (Utah State)
Kellen Mond (Texas A&M)
Brady White (Memphis)
Zachary Wilson (BYU)

Receiver
Damonte Coxie (Memphis)
Jerry Jeudy (Alabama)
Jacobi Myers (North Carolina State)
James Proche (SMU)
Laviska Shenault, Jr. (Colorado)
Tylan Wallace (Oklahoma State)

Linebacker
Markus Bailey (Purdue)
Kenneth Murray (Oklahoma)
Curtis Weaver (Boise State)
David Woodward (Utah State)

Defensive Back
Andre Cisco (Syracuse)
Richie Grant (UCF)
Kenny Robinson (West Virginia)

Go Gophers!!

What is the touchdown club of columbus? Do they realize that we have two All Big Ten caliber RBs returning next year?

What is the touchdown club of columbus? Do they realize that we have two All Big Ten caliber RBs returning next year?

LOL --- Probably not. I like Ibrahim, but his breakout year will probably be in 2020. Unless there are injuries, Brooks and Smith should eat up a lot of carries.

LOL --- Probably not. I like Ibrahim, but his breakout year will probably be in 2020. Unless there are injuries, Brooks and Smith should eat up a lot of carries.

No doubt Brooks and Smith will get most of the carries next year. But, wasn't 1160 yards this year enough for Ibrahim to not need a "breakout" year in 2020?? He kinda broke out this past year....

No doubt Brooks and Smith will get most of the carries next year. But, wasn't 1160 yards this year enough for Ibrahim to not need a "breakout" year in 2020?? He kinda broke out this past year....

Breakout is >2000 yds/season. :)

Seriously, hope his 1160 was a drop in the bucket. It really will be interesting to see how they ration carries between Brooks, Smith and Ibrahim. Obviously you'd think it'd be mostly Brooks and Smith, but you don't want Ibrahim getting rusty on the bench, either. Great problem to have!

Watch out for Bryce Williams as well. I wouldn't count him out of the mix. He'll be another year older, and probably stronger. Has some nice breakaway TD runs last season.

--------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Watch out for Bryce Williams as well. I wouldn't count him out of the mix. He'll be another year older, and probably stronger. Has some nice breakaway TD runs last season.

--------------

"7 National Titles...

Hard runner no doubt. Very good season as back up. Curious what your definition of a breakaway TD run is?

Hard runner no doubt. Very good season as back up. Curious what your definition of a breakaway TD run is?

To me, a breakaway TD run is 10+ yards, give or take, where the runner uses his speed to turn the corner or to blow through a hole and then flat outruns defenders.

I'm thinking of two runs he had against Wisconsin, to seal the deal. I think there was one against Purdue.

What's your definition?

--------------

"7 National Titles...

Agree! I've said it myself. Our Gophers have FOUR very good backs!

To me, a breakaway TD run is 10+ yards, give or take, where the runner uses his speed to turn the corner or to blow through a hole and then flat outruns defenders.

I'm thinking of two runs he had against Wisconsin, to seal the deal. I think there was one against Purdue.

What's your definition?

That's an incredibly low threshold. My definition would be this...

https://youtu.be/Y4su0sYhxxA

When you click reply, do you see that little icon that looks like a film strip? Second from the end on the right? You can click that to embed the video right here.

I guess we each have our own definitions.

Maybe I should have consulted you before I made my original statement. That way, we could agree in advance on what a breakaway touchdown actually is.

Top Bottom