Fresno State Bark Board

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
I always enjoy checking out opponents' forums before we play. Sometimes I even register and post. But not this time. There's no friendly discourse with these Fresno State fans. They're an entertaining combination of delusional and condescending.

Of course that isn't really a surprise. I remember last year they were in general agreement that average Minnesota weather be an advantage for the Bulldogs, since the Gophers wouldn't be acclimated to highs in the seventies.

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Board/Bark-Board-102987/

If you decide to post, please represent Minnesota well.

I checked out the board a few times last year. They were VERY upset they lost to us and feel it was 100 percent a fluke.

I feel bad for the guy who was talking about taking money out of his retirement to bet on Fresno at +3.5 (though now it's +3).

That's why I'm not a fan of spreads. Especially football. Especially college football. It's fake you out, week to week. Vegas isn't still standing for no reason.

You obviously don't win as much, but I like betting simply on the team to win the game. It's simple and you cheer for the team to win, no matter how. Anyway ...

I feel bad for the guy who was talking about taking money out of his retirement to bet on Fresno at +3.5 (though now it's +3).

I thought you were a fan of people betting to prove they really think what they say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enjoy checking out opponents' forums before we play. Sometimes I even register and post. But not this time. There's no friendly discourse with these Fresno State fans. They're an entertaining combination of delusional and condescending.

Of course that isn't really a surprise. I remember last year they were in general agreement that average Minnesota weather be an advantage for the Bulldogs, since the Gophers wouldn't be acclimated to highs in the seventies.

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Board/Bark-Board-102987/

If you decide to post, please represent Minnesota well.

They've managed to convince themselves that they are even better than last year, despite losing a ton of players. They take any rational discussion as an attack.

Oh my, GHers have nothing on those posters, wow.

I perused few last year, won't even bother this year

Sounds like the same, no way we can keep up with their speed, they'll blow us out of the water, etc

I actually kind of agree with them on the betting line. I thought Fresno would be favored by a touchdown. They brought back a lot of talent, the game is in Fresno (notoriously difficult place to play) and we didn't look that good.

I don't blame them for thinking they are going to win and I am hoping (as a Gopher fan) that SDSU is better than most of us are giving them credit for, USC is worse, and we can handle the difficult environment. All of that said, on paper in week 2 (we all know things change), this is looking like a pretty tough game for us.

As far as last year, they should be upset. They would have had a great year last year if they would have beat us and they were super close. It took an incredible play by Winfield to give the good guys the W, so yeah, their reaction to that game makes complete sense. If I were an FSU fan that game would annoy me a year later as well.

I actually kind of agree with them on the betting line. I thought Fresno would be favored by a touchdown. They brought back a lot of talent, the game is in Fresno (notoriously difficult place to play) and we didn't look that good.

I don't blame them for thinking they are going to win and I am hoping (as a Gopher fan) that SDSU is better than most of us are giving them credit for, USC is worse, and we can handle the difficult environment. All of that said, on paper in week 2 (we all know things change), this is looking like a pretty tough game for us.

As far as last year, they should be upset. They would have had a great year last year if they would have beat us and they were super close. It took an incredible play by Winfield to give the good guys the W, so yeah, their reaction to that game makes complete sense. If I were an FSU fan that game would annoy me a year later as well.

But the thing about last year was they were down by 7 with no time left. Winfield doesn't come up with that pick, the game is only tied and they have a 50% chance to win in OT. Plus we were winning the entire game. It's like saying the Fab 5 Michigan team would have beat UNC if Webber doesn't call that timeout. They were still down and would have needed to make a basket.

Fresno fans were actually saying they blew the game against USC as well which is even more ridiculous. If Reyna doesn't throw a pick, they still would have had to score a TD with 10 yards to go, then they would have had to get the 2 point conversion, then they would have had to actually beat them in OT. USC was up the entire game and that game probably ends up a blowout if JT Daniels doesn't turn it over twice inside the FSU 15 yard line. They could have been up 41-13 instead of 31-13.

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy opposing team boards as well and I think I remember checking out the bark board last year as well. I actually get a bigger kick out of it if the fans are unreasonable and think they are going to beat the Gophers 50-0. It sounds like this is the case with Fresno this year. And I also remember checking out their board after the game last year as well. Others that recall are correct when they say their fan base left that game feeling it was a fluke. Its almost as if they Gophers had no say in the outcome.

I am quite concerned about this game after watching the Gopher's win over SDSU. I'm hopeful the Gophers show a lot of improvement over week 1.

I actually kind of agree with them on the betting line. I thought Fresno would be favored by a touchdown.

There is a reason these guys (Vegas) make so much money. People who think like this.

Not at all challenging you to place a bet, if you think so, or something like that. Just saying, that there is some kind of method that produces these spreads and they know a thing or two.

As I understand it, betting lines are established in order to generate bets. If no action is coming down, the powers-that-be will move the line one way or another to try and get people to make a wager. and if a lot of action is coming down on one side, the line is adjusted accordingly in hopes of getting action on the other team.

point being, a line of gophers -3 does not necessarily mean the gamblers think the gophers are 3 points better. that could be the point that they hope will generate the most action.

it's about covering the spread, not about predicting a winner.

If Reyna doesn't throw a pick, they still would have had to score a TD with 10 yards to go, then they would have had to get the 2 point conversion, then they would have had to actually beat them in OT.

Your point is valid, but just want to correct you on one thing: if it hadn't been a pick, then it was a TD throw with around 1:47 left in the game.

Check it out, starting at 2:47 mark in the video:

I feel like, if they make that TD, with that momentum they probably punch it in for 2pt conversion. Maybe they go on-side and recover. Maybe they kick it and hope their defense holds. Who knows, but didn't happen.

Last edited:

I don't blame them for thinking they're going to win either. That's what fans do. When we play SDSU or Illinois or Little Sisters of the Poor, they all should be hoping for/expecting a win. And I'm even willing to grant that I'm concerned about this game. If the Gophers play like last week, they will lose. I'd happily concede that to a Bulldogs fan.

But they're convinced there's no way in hell that they win by less than two scores. It's absolutely inconceivable to them that we'll have a competitive game.

Your point is valid, but just want to correct you on one thing: if it hadn't been a pick, then it was a TD throw.

Check it out, starting at 2:47

Except he could have chosen to not throw that way at all and throw it somewhere else, tuck it and run or throw it out of bounds instead of giving the safety a chance to pick it.

Except he could have chosen to not throw that way at all and throw it somewhere else, tuck it and run or throw it out of bounds instead of giving the safety a chance to pick it.

That is not what I took from "If Reyna doesn't throw a pick". I took that to mean if the ball had been completed, which it nearly was.

Fair enough

I don't blame them for thinking they're going to win either. That's what fans do. When we play SDSU or Illinois or Little Sisters of the Poor, they all should be hoping for/expecting a win. And I'm even willing to grant that I'm concerned about this game. If the Gophers play like last week, they will lose. I'd happily concede that to a Bulldogs fan.

But they're convinced there's no way in hell that they win by less than two scores. It's absolutely inconceivable to them that we'll have a competitive game.

They did say the same things last year. That we had no idea what we were in for and they'd be too fast and talented. We'll see.

Did you see our board prior to the SDSU game?

Not only that, they're convinced we played "lights out" against SDSU, and threw everything we had at them. We played like garbage. It's one thing to be physically beaten by a team, another to make tons of mental mistakes (tyler dropping a couple that he normally catches, 3/5 of the line not knowing who to block, LBs running around like chickens with their heads cut off).

I couldn't guess whether they played well or bad against USC. But we certainly played a bad game overall. Maybe we do again and lose by 2 TDs, and maybe we wake up and play sharp and win by 3 scores. Woudln't be suprised by either.

Not only that, they're convinced we played "lights out" against SDSU, and threw everything we had at them. We played like garbage. It's one thing to be physically beaten by a team, another to make tons of mental mistakes (tyler dropping a couple that he normally catches, 3/5 of the line not knowing who to block, LBs running around like chickens with their heads cut off).

I couldn't guess whether they played well or bad against USC. But we certainly played a bad game overall. Maybe we do again and lose by 2 TDs, and maybe we wake up and play sharp and win by 3 scores. Woudln't be suprised by either.

A feel like a bad drop or two is pretty "normal" for Tyler.

Okay. I checked out their board. To call them "confident" is an understatement. I get that pretty much every fan base tends to forget about the possibility that the opposing team could play well, or poorly and actually have a say in the game result. But, these people take that too a new level. Lots of comments about if they play well, they can't help but win. Most any fan base is guilty of this type of thought, they just seem to take it to a new level.

USC is portrayed as pretty much the most talented team ever to put on helmets. South Dakota State is written off as just one of many FCS teams and all FCS teams are the same. Last year's Gopher win was a fluke. Plenty of opponents have regretted their trips to Fresno (insert ominous imaginary music). All this makes a Fresno State win a foregone conclusion and it sounds like most think it will be in the two touchdown range depending on how well their QB decides he wants to play.

The part that is is a bit more unique is these Fresno State fans (on the bark board, at least) have quite a chip on their shoulders. There are a few Gopher fans posting but even the most mundane statement is pounced upon and shredded. If my memory serves me, I felt they were more level headed last year. Now that their team is listed nationally as one that was hurt quite a bit by graduation, and they have a rematch with a team that beat them last year and has more players back... They are more convinced of victory than ever.

I do think they have more to be confident of based on week 1 results. No one would argue the Gophers didn't play poorly. I just think they have gone a bit overboard with their confidence.

Last edited:

Okay. I checked out their board. To call them "confident" is an understatement. I get that pretty much every fan base tends to forget about the possibility that the opposing team could play well, or poorly and actually have a day in the game result. But, these people take that too a new level. Lots of comments about if they play well, they can't help but win. Most any fan base is guilty of this type of thought, they just seem to take it to a new level.

USC is portrayed as pretty much the most talented team ever to put on helmets. South Dakota State is written off as just one of many FCS teams and all FCS teams are the same. Last year's Gopher win was a fluke. Plenty of opponents have regretted their trips to Fresno (insert ominous imaginary music). All this makes a Fresno State win a foregone conclusion and it sounds like most think it will be in the two touchdown range depending on how well their QB decides he wants to play.

The part that is is a bit more unique is these Fresno State fans (on the bark board, at least) have quite a chip on their shoulders. There are a few Gopher fans posting but even the most mundane statement is pounced upon and shredded. If my memory serves me, I felt they were more level headed last year. Now that their team is listed nationally as one that was hurt quite a bit by graduation, and they have a rematch with a team that beat them last year and has more players back... They are more convinced of victory than ever.

I do think they have more to be confident of based on week 1 results. No one would argue the Gophers played poorly. I just think they have gone a bit overboard with their confidence.

I could understand their confidence if the week one results were the only data points we had at all but fact of the matter is the gophers are a top 10 team in the FBS in returning production and Fresno is second to last. So on paper the team that won the head to head should be better than last year and on paper the team that lost should be worse than last year. Of course the games aren't played on paper but you can't just disregard that fact after only one week of play.

Okay. I checked out their board. To call them "confident" is an understatement. I get that pretty much every fan base tends to forget about the possibility that the opposing team could play well, or poorly and actually have a day in the game result. But, these people take that too a new level. Lots of comments about if they play well, they can't help but win. Most any fan base is guilty of this type of thought, they just seem to take it to a new level.

I do think they have more to be confident of based on week 1 results. No one would argue the Gophers played poorly. I just think they have gone a bit overboard with their confidence.

Nailed it! I especially love the "tails between their legs" imagery and the worshipful exaltation of USC's talent.

I think I saw one sane poster on there.

I don't know. We could win by 17 or lose by 17 it seems.

Both first games didn't seem to represent the teams well for the year, or maybe it did.

Playing at Fresno evidently is tough so I'll stick with my Gophers lose prediction until our O-Line and D-line start dominating teams like we were hoping.

I think I saw one sane poster on there.

I don't know. We could win by 17 or lose by 17 it seems.

Both first games didn't seem to represent the teams well for the year, or maybe it did.

Playing at Fresno evidently is tough so I'll stick with my Gophers lose prediction until our O-Line and D-line start dominating teams like we were hoping.

I won't panic if we lose, it'll be a tough victory, but if we play our best, we can win. They're toughest of our conference.

Tedford is a good coach.

Top Bottom