Gophers hockey gets commitments from 13 and 14 year old brothers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

The Gophers men’s hockey program received commitments Thursday from two Twin Cities players who are believed to be the youngest commits in team history.

Chaz and Cruz Lucius — 14 and 13 years old, respectively — from Gentry Academy in Vadnais Heights gave their commitments to Don Lucia and the Gophers on Thursday, according to the high school’s Twitter account.

Gentry Academy is “A new generation accredited private school … providing excellence in academics, leadership and athletics,” according to its bio.

The Lucius brothers are written about often on hockey blogs that monitor youth tournaments. Chaz was featured in a 2013 article on youthhockeyhub.com with the headline: “The Next Big Thing.”

Also on Thursday, Gophers assistant coach Scott Bell tweeted: “Landed two big ones today! Welcome to the #Gophers!” While not naming names, the timing of Bell’s tweet was enough of a confirmation to get Gophers hockey fans excited on social media.

brothers3.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-to-be-youngest-in-program-history/442400643/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Oh, for Pete's sake. Should be a law against this. They're not even in hs yet.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don't muddy the water bringing in girls sports. Girls stop growing on average about age 15, so a slightly early developer could be pretty much done growing prior to entering high school. So taking a risk
on a 14 year old girl athletically is a lot different than a 14 year old boy. Boys don't really even begin to slow growth until 17 and have the same growth potential between 19 and 20 that girls have between 16 and 20.

So yes I agree it's ridiculous.Capture.JPG

Don't muddy the water bringing in girls sports. Girls stop growing on average about age 15, so a slightly early developer could be pretty much done growing prior to entering high school. So taking a risk
on a 14 year old girl athletically is a lot different than a 14 year old boy. Boys don't really even begin to slow growth until 17 and have the same growth potential between 19 and 20 that girls have between 16 and 20.

So yes I agree it's ridiculous.View attachment 5073

The 8th grade Lacrosse & baseball commits were boys.

It is happening in both genders.

I believe the younger one will be either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd youngest college hockey commitment ever depending on his birthday. (Cipollone Vermont, Wahlstrom Maine).

They older one is still very likely the second youngest Gopher commitment ever depending on his birthday.

Agreed. It's getting absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Meh - it's a meaningless agreement. The kids can change their mind at any point, and the U can decided to pull the offers if they don't develop.

Meh - it's a meaningless agreement. The kids can change their mind at any point, and the U can decided to pull the offers if they don't develop.
This is very true. Meh is probably the appropriate action. I'd say 50-50 that any one of the brothers ever suits up for the U.

This also puts a Target on them too...every kid that plays against them is going to know about the offer.

Top Bottom