BREAKING: Elijah Hawkins to transfer

Wonder if it's not Christy asking for bigger money to come back.. who do you take?? This is all speculation

giphy.gif

Seriously though, this is probably the least I've cared about college athletics in 20+ years. Not just the Gophers. Not just basketball. But in general.
College sports are still great -

It does seem like one of those things nowadays where we just shouldn't follow the offseason at all. Just wait for game 1 and see who runs out on the court / field and hope we're decent

I'm no Ben Johnson apologist but what is he supposed to do when DTA (a cute little mom and pop shop) musters together $50k offers for these players and another program comes in an wants to pay $200-$500k to scoop them up off our roster?

College basketball is grimey as sh** these days and there are no tampering rules and so if Minnesota and its NIL collectives can't completely transform their system and triple/quadruple the money we can pay to these semi-pro athletes, the program doesn't stand a damn chance. With Ben at the helm or with someone else.

“Commitments” mean nothing. Tweets mean nothing.

Can’t wait for the day coming soon when being on the roster during the season doesn’t even mean you’ll still be on the team the next game.
Some big CBB reporter tweeted something like "can't wait for a kid to lose in rd 1 of the NCAA and transfer to another school before the sweet 16" I laughed and then thought, yah I can about imagine that now.

College sports are still great -

It does seem like one of those things nowadays where we just shouldn't follow the offseason at all. Just wait for game 1 and see who runs out on the court / field and hope we're decent
You're right. It's more at the point I just won't pay attention until a week before the season. I used to be so on top of recruiting and offseason stuff.

If he quickly commits somewhere else it will be absolute proof of the tampering we all know is going on.

Player says he is coming back....team tweets out weeks later that he is coming back.....then out of the blue, while he is not in the portal he suddenly decides to transfer? Doesn't add up one bit if people are playing by the rules.

But obviously we all know there are boosters and collectives contacting players and trying to poach them off of other teams rosters.

This is just laughable at this point. May as well just tune out when the season ends and check back in when the new one starts to see what the roster looks like. What a joke college basketball has become.

I'm no Ben Johnson apologist but what is he supposed to do when DTA (a cute little mom and pop shop) musters together $50k offers for these players and another program comes in an wants to pay $200-$500k to scoop them up off our roster?

College basketball is grimey as sh** these days and there are no tampering rules and so if Minnesota and its NIL collectives can't completely transform their system and triple/quadruple the money we can pay to these semi-pro athletes, the program doesn't stand a damn chance. With Ben at the helm or with someone else.
The funny thing is, any one of us on this thread would have jumped for joy in college to be able to do what we loved and make 50K while going to school for free.

This has to be breaking the rules tho. There's no way he just decides to enter the portal after announcing he's coming back, unless another team has been talking to him. I don't expect him in the portal long, and where he goes should be investigated.

Alot of tampering going on for sure. Some of these guys enter the portal and 20 minutes later commit somewhere.
Yep, bad enough that you have unrestricted free agency for every player but you also have no enforcement of the system that is supposed to be there to protect teams and make it so the only way a player gets contacted is if they put their name in the portal.

Just pathetic what college basketball has become with all this BS. Makes the stuff going on in football look like nothing when you see the pure stupidity that is college basketball right now.

Yep, bad enough that you have unrestricted free agency for every player but you also have no enforcement of the system that is supposed to be there to protect teams and make it so the only way a player gets contacted is if they put their name in the portal.

Just pathetic what college basketball has become with all this BS. Makes the stuff going on in football look like nothing when you see the pure stupidity that is college basketball right now.
Luckily, PJ does a great job at keeping his core starters and fills in where needed from the portal.

The funny thing is, any one of us on this thread would have jumped for joy in college to be able to do what we loved and make 50K while going to school for free.

This has to be breaking the rules tho. There's no way he just decides to enter the portal after announcing he's coming back, unless another team has been talking to him. I don't expect him in the portal long, and where he goes should be investigated.
Couldn't agree more, especially with the last part.....but we all know there won't be an investigation.

Top Bottom