Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Is he going to pick a school? Is he still considered at Nebraska after they snagged Morgan? Only thing appealing with Indiana is the the NIL $$$. Who paid for that new BMW? Any chance Payne picks up the phone to call Ben like Carrington did?
I think he has options, unlike Carrington. Interesting thing with Payne is that he might get more money from a place that he won’t be the man than he would in a place they would make him the feature. The moral dilemma of the portal.

I'm a little surprised Payne hasn't found a new home yet but sure it is just a matter of time until he lands somewhere. Still holding out hope that it will be somewhere outside of the Big Ten.

I'm a little surprised Payne hasn't found a new home yet but sure it is just a matter of time until he lands somewhere. Still holding out hope that it will be somewhere outside of the Big Ten.
Maybe the advisers painted a more rosy picture than there really was, making the decision more difficult and the result not as lucrative as expected.

I think longer it goes, the less likely he lands in a better situation with more $$ than he would have gotten here.

Ballo from Arizona is starting his visit to Indiana today. He has one year left, Payne two. I wonder who they prefer. If they take Ballo, does Payne still want to go there?

Ballo from Arizona is starting his visit to Indiana today. He has one year left, Payne two. I wonder who they prefer. If they take Ballo, does Payne still want to go there?

I would assume they'd prefer Ballo. He's been the better player the last 2 seasons. If Ballo does go there, I have to think Payne would look elsewhere. If one of the reasons he left was playing time, he'd get even less at IU sitting behind Ballo and Reneau.

hmm getting edged out by Morgan and now Ballo?

CBJ, I apologize. I would like to stay in MN, BUT you have to take my boy Carrington too?!

I think longer it goes, the less likely he lands in a better situation with more $$ than he would have gotten here.
Maybe, but just took a look at the top 100 transfers listed on 247 (Payne is #67) and of those top 100 only 26 show as being committed to a new school. Assume we will see the pace of commitments pick up over the next few weeks as teams really start locking things in. Once the more highly coveted guys make their decisions the dominoes will start to fall and we will see more activity.

Big guys seem to always be in high demand in the portal so still assume he will find a solid landing spot.

Maybe the advisers painted a more rosy picture than there really was, making the decision more difficult and the result not as lucrative as expected.
People looking to cash in on the athletes (the agents) would never do such a thing, would they??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Never. Impossible. Only altruistic people want a percentage of the take from 19 year old athletes and their families.
And there was a rule change being tested to stop that this year. Which will make it take longer and ( hopefully) correct the market perception.

We obviously aren't probably ever going to get a report on what guys actually get, but I would surprised if the numbers are that high.

I think signed for leases on cars or apartments and smaller perks are more par for the course, but who knows.
Trust me, I am not going to pretend I am privy to any actuals for Payne or any gophers

But, I do know what some of these players are getting and it's more than you think. Of course it's all situational and depending on supply/demand but I know a guy in a high demand position getting 400K+ and he isn't half the player Payne is.

Trust me, I am not going to pretend I am privy to any actuals for Payne or any gophers

But, I do know what some of these players are getting and it's more than you think. Of course it's all situational and depending on supply/demand but I know a guy in a high demand position getting 400K+ and he isn't half the player Payne is.
I know a guy...

He will get paid well and be Ben’s biggest nightmare twice a year

You don't think his lawyer negotiated that?
I looked it up to refresh my memory on the exact dates.

Nebraska and AD Alberts fired Frost on September 11. If they would have waited until October 1, his buyout would have dropped from $15M to $7.5M.

Frost probably agreed to give Alberts a couple million for this. For sure there's money changing hands behind the scenes.

Last edited:

There are still a lot of fans who are in denial about this.

They still want to worship the coaches of winning teams and lambaste the coaches of losing teams.

There are still a lot of fans who are in denial about this.

They still want to worship the coaches of winning teams and lambaste the coaches of losing teams.
Naivety

It was eye opening to me too, It's the wild west out there. Instead of fellas in here acknowledging what they don't know, they continue to live in their caves. If people truly think Payne is a ~150k player idk where to even begin with how wrong that is.

I looked it up to refresh my memory on the exact dates.

Nebraska and AD Alberts fired Frost on September 11. If they would have waited until October 1, his buyout would have dropped from $15M to $7.5M.

Frost probably agreed to give Alberts a couple million for this. For sure there's money changing hands behind the scenes.
Good grief.

Naivety

It was eye opening to me too, It's the wild west out there. Instead of fellas in here acknowledging what they don't know, they continue to live in their caves. If people truly think Payne is a ~150k player idk where to even begin with how wrong that is.

You spot it, you got it

with ballo to indiana, maybe payne reconsiders?
There was a post in another thread about him visiting Texas possibly. Would seem highly doubtful he comes back but maybe he is finding he isn't the priority recruit he thought he would be for teams.

I'm still hoping he lands outside the Big Ten. If he wants to come back I am sure they would take him back but that feels unlikely at this point.

Top Bottom